The publication date for issue 289 is the 10th of December, meaning subscribers should receive their copies during the week leading up to that date. It is also available from caving suppliers such as Inglesport and Starless River, or from our new website
MAXIMUS: Range is good.
QUINTUS: The danger to the CSCC...
MAXIMUS [interrupts]: It is acceptable, agreed?
QUINTUS: Strength and honour.
VALERIUS: Strength and honour.
MAXIMUS: At my signal, unleash hell....
There it is, the Bridge of Death
Look, there's the old man from scene 24
What is he doing here?
He is the keeper of the Bridge of Death
He asks each traveler five questions
Three questions, he who answers the five questions
Three questions may cross in safety
What if you get a question wrong?
Then you are cast into the Cave of Eternal Peril
Thanks to everyone who entered this caption competition - such a great response, I'm already thinking of the next competition
My favourite captions are:
1) alastairgott Just shake my hand, then between us we'll have 6 points of protection.
2) maxb727: ?I?m telling you H&S definitely stands for Head and Shoulders - we?ve got this?
3) cfmwh: Don't pull her finger! She'll blow my bloody head off!
4) Brains: In secret the team practised the recreation of the Michaelangelo fresco "Creation of Adam" as a tableau for the next Hidden Earth... while it seemed a good idea after a few beers, doubts were beginning to creep in about the choices for "Adam" and "god"
5) tobyk Raising a mast and walking the plank...some members of the club took pirating someone else?s dig a little too literally.
6) roo.walters: Hay Watto, these new ear defenders are great for blocking out Frank's poetry.
7) badger: So Tim lets get this straight, we dig from here to the Frozen Deep on Mendips, and then we claim it for Yorkshire, as the UK's largest chamber,
8.) martinb 'Just a minute!' You're suppose to shore up the INSIDE of the bloody cave!'
9) Aubrey: "This is the last nut we have. If you drop this one you are going down the shaft to retrieve it and the others you dropped"
10) Zombiecake: "I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole, Diggy, diggy hole, diggy, diggy hole" (earworm's back!)
With thanks to Random.org - number 6 is the winner, ironic as Roo stars in the photo