Author Topic: Rigging a Fixed Scaffold bar  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
Re: Rigging a Fixed Scaffold bar
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »
In 8.5 mm or lower, I've stopped using figure-8 loops at single-bolt rebelays, as they are a bastard to untie. Bowline-on-the bight is a lot easier.

Agreed, Mike – except I'd say ≤9 mm; in fact I had to use the marlin spike on a figure-of-8 knot in 10.5-mm rope last Sunday after a little trip down Death's Head Hole.

UK Caving

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »
Warmbac

Offline Mike Hopley

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 10:13:55 pm »
Agreed, Mike – except I'd say ≤9 mm; in fact I had to use the marlin spike on a figure-of-8 knot in 10.5-mm rope last Sunday after a little trip down Death's Head Hole.

Actually yes, now that I've gotten comfortable with them I'd rather just use BOTB for all my single-hang needs, even in thick rope. I like making life easy. :)

Offline Fishes

• addict
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 04:38:00 pm »
I have mainly caved in Derbyshire so ropes need washing pretty much every time. I found that if I left the knots in the rope where possible that they were then so loose after coming out of the washing machine that the pretty much fell apart when inspecting and repacking the rope.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2020, 04:53:21 pm »
Oh! That's interesting, Fishes, I've always untied knots before washing ropes – I've never put a rope in the washing machine with knots in it.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2020, 05:03:10 pm »
...after coming out of the washing machine...
I've never put a rope in the washing machine with knots in it.

I've never put a rope in the washing machine, ever! The risk of domestic fallout surely outweighs any time saved  :o
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 06:12:54 pm »
I've never put a rope in the washing machine, ever! The risk of domestic fallout surely outweighs any time saved  :o

You should have married a caver.  :tease: (In fact, in my experience ropes come out cleaner from a washing machine than they do from a conventional 'rope-washer'.)

Offline Fishes

• addict
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2020, 08:10:25 pm »

[/quote]

You need to get your priorities sorted :-) My partner also puts caving gear through the washing machine.

I had to stop her putting carabiners etc in the dishwasher too. They come out nice and shiny but hot sodium polyphosphate solutions aren't great for aluminium alloys.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal