Get your dose of some live music

Mark Wright

Andy Pringle called me earlier to tell me about a live folk music festival happening right now.

Seth Lakeman on at the moment with an excellent line up. It goes on until 8pm.

www.folkonfoot.com

Mark

tamarmole

Seth is a splendid chap.  Keen on his local  mining history.  I took him underground a number of times when I was Mine Manager at Morwellham. 

D.Send

Hi TamarMole,

Is the through trip from Ley's shaft entrance to George & Charlotte adit still accessible ?

D.Send.

tamarmole

No, afraid not. There is a concrete dam separating the the tourist mine from the rest of the workings.  If you drop Ley's shaft you have to come out the same way.

D.Send

Hi,

Pity the public can't get beyond the dam as far as the 'lake', a very deep flooded stope, with its blue water and stulls stretching down out of site....

.......I have read that Morwhelham is in need of renewal to attract tourists again.....

Regards,

D.Send.

andys

We had a family trip to Morwhelam back in the early 90's and were quite horrified at the entrance price even then. Heavens know what it costs to get in these days. Or what it may have to rise to if refurbishment costs needed to be recovered.........,

tamarmole

D.Send said:
Hi,

Pity the public can't get beyond the dam as far as the 'lake', a very deep flooded stope, with its blue water and stulls stretching down out of site....

.......I have read that Morwhelham is in need of renewal to attract tourists again.....

Regards,

D.Send.

I have been to the "lake" on a couple of occasions.  It is a very sketchy place, the hanging wall in particular is dodgy in the extreme and has an alarming habit of delaminating without warning.

tamarmole

andys said:
We had a family trip to Morwhelam back in the early 90's and were quite horrified at the entrance price even then. Heavens know what it costs to get in these days. Or what it may have to rise to if refurbishment costs needed to be recovered.........,

At the time entrance prices were comparable with other similar attractions in the south west, and a lot less than some, notably the Eden Project.  As someone who was involved in the operation of the tourist mine it was  not a cheap thing to do.  Entrance prices were kept as low as possible and we were running the mine on very, very tight margins. 

andys

tamarmole said:
andys said:

At the time entrance prices were comparable with other similar attractions in the south west, and a lot less than some, notably the Eden Project.  As someone who was involved in the operation of the tourist mine it was  not a cheap thing to do.  Entrance prices were kept as low as possible and we were running the mine on very, very tight margins.

Perhaps it was just us Yorkshire folk then - you know, the ones who sew up the pockets in their trousers after they put their wallets in........ LOL