Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Forum Notices & Issues / Re: UK Caving Forum unsubscribe
« Last post by BradW on Today at 03:44:24 pm »
Sorry forgot to post the source of my last post:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/448394/are-internet-forum-owners-legally-responsible-for-their-content

There are plenty more like this.
Forum Notices & Issues / Re: Forum Names
« Last post by alastairgott on Today at 03:43:31 pm »
I've said some clatteringly idiotic things, but it's all on record.
 Including when I was going to sign upto the Credit crunch expo 7 or so years ago and asked some stupid questions.
 I think there were also a series of posts about cave animals as well, those were the (early) Hyper days...
 I might have also bought a wetsuit from Chapman, which was far too small for me :s
Idle Chat / Re: Cryptic caves
« Last post by Ian Ball on Today at 03:12:49 pm »
Aaah, I best get the thinking cap on!  It was an easy clue, no a bad thing but it must be easy for me to get the answer!

Ok here's one.

Painful soup makers urn (7,3)

« Last post by Topimo on Today at 03:09:11 pm »
« Last post by Ian Ball on Today at 03:04:09 pm »
Excalibur Pot?
« Last post by Topimo on Today at 02:24:23 pm »
Go on then Andy!

Legendary wielder has previous with shot gauge, reclaims top. (9,3).

First cryptic clue ever, be kind and tell me it's awful/easy/whatever!
« Last post by SamT on Today at 01:55:41 pm »

Interesting  :-\
« Last post by BradW on Today at 01:52:16 pm »
From experience elsewhere, comparing a forum to a pub is not accurate. It is also a bit risky.

There are plenty of examples of liability of forum owners being discussed on the web. Here is one example that seems quite trustworthy:

Q: "What, precisely, is the legal position of owners of an internet forum, like this and others, when members post libellous or defamatory statements? Are they fully responsible as publishers of the site, or are they able to state that the original poster is 100% responsible."

A: "There's already a fair body of legal precident in this area (starting with Godfrey vs Demon Internet)."

"The operator of a message board counts as a publisher, and thus is jointly liable for any illegal statements made by posters."

"However, the damages granted would be effectively nil if a message board owner could argue that they were not aware of the post before it was made, and removed it as soon as they were informed of it's existence and took appropriate steps to prevent it happening again (such as a threat of banning the poster if they repeated it). Obviously this means pre-moderated boards are responsible for everything, as they cannot argue they weren't aware of any given post."

"Hence if a site like UKCaving has a poster make a libellous statement, but as soon as the staff see it (or are alerted to it by someone else) it is removed, no one is going to bother sueing them as no damages would be awarded. However, if UKCaving were to leave it on their site for a week while they thought about what to do, or didn't remove it at all and claimed it was nothing to do with them, a judge would treat them exactly the same as, say, a newspaper that published a libellous article, and award damages as appropriate."

So a site owner cannot act like Pontius Pilate and wash his or her hands of the consequences of anything that a member might post on his/her bulletin board, and has a duty to protect himself/herself, the other members, and third parties who might be mentioned on their website.

Forum Notices & Issues / Re: Forum Names
« Last post by aricooperdavis on Today at 01:43:31 pm »
I use my real name mainly because, if I don't want something that I say to be associated with me, then I won't say it. I'm sure that I'll say the odd thing in hast, anger, or jest that I'll look back on and regret, but that's life isn't it - you live and you learn.
It must have been abandoned with some urgency. What else could explain cavers leaving alcohol behind?  :shrug:
Haha, brilliant!  ;D
Have sent you a message Josh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10