Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Caving Chat / Re: caving with a knee replacement
« Last post by nearlywhite on Today at 09:30:34 pm »
The orthopods would probably have a fit but I don't think they would advise caving with a hip replacement either and there are plenty of people who cave with those.

Hahahahaha, I think you might be quite right.
If it's any help the maxim usually taught is push yourself to a comfortable level - and there's many different levels of misery caving to be had so just go with what your body is telling you you can get away with. Again, better to find out on the surface than underground.

Restriction wise, some of the more fiddly squeezes (doglegs etc) may not be possible anymore (as you compromise function to reduce pain) but if you're using common sense you won't go wrong.

Or so I've heard  ;)
What's a "professional spelunker"? I suppose someone who guides people around caves for a living, but they didn't seem to be using it that way. How many people get paid for caving? (without having to  take a whole lot of novices with them)
For Sale / Wanted / Free Recycling / Re: Wanted - Small Oversuit
« Last post by steviet_scg on Today at 09:23:03 pm »
Think I may still have (in the depths of the garage) a small Beaver suit as described  here

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=20930.0

pm if you think it fits the bill - can get it to peaks and dales easy enough - further available by caver post

cheers
Steve
Idle Chat / Re: Cryptic caves
« Last post by JasonC on Today at 07:26:54 pm »
ok....

Spanish cries after blonde starts yodelling hoarsely  (5,5)
Mendip / Re: Mendip Cave Photography Competition 2018 Official Thread
« Last post by chunky on Today at 07:25:51 pm »
Getting on with something a bit different for the exhibition. Had to have the job done in Berlin but so far it looks good to me.

Finally got to the exhibition at the weekend and couldn't come away without commenting on your fab 2 part poster set.

Must have been a lot of work gone in to producing it TOR. It really is a great addition and a wonderful photographic record two great mendip caves. Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:
Idle Chat / Re: Cryptic caves
« Last post by andys on Today at 07:15:56 pm »
Spot on Jason so over to you! (and thanks for the positive feedback Fulk!)
Film & Photography / Re: Caving Cameramen
« Last post by Caver Keith on Today at 06:05:02 pm »
This is one of my most favourite ever caving films.

Oh, and I have been known to make one or two caving fillums myself.
Regarding laying line in caves, the only place I have seen it is Ireland in Coole Cave where string could be seen calcited in. Mind you, about 20 years ago, I met a chap outside ANUS cave about to descend and he was taking in a line reel with line on it. Apparently he liked exploring the occasional cave on his own and preferred to be able to find his way out. No, he wasn't a cave diver ;D!
Caving Chat / Re: caving with a knee replacement
« Last post by mrodoc on Today at 05:41:53 pm »
I have caved with at least one person who has had a knee replacement. He had had it done only a few months before and I think it was his first trip. It was a short cave in New Mexico and involved a fair bit of crawling. He felt fine afterwards and is still caving. Get mobile first and do all the exercises seems to be the message. The orthopods would probably have a fit but I don't think they would advise caving with a hip replacement either and there are plenty of people who cave with those.
For Sale / Wanted / Free Recycling / Re: Wanted - Small Oversuit
« Last post by ObviousSpectre on Today at 05:04:44 pm »
Bump  :coffee:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10