Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Peak District / Re: Caves of the Peak District (Barker and Beck)
« Last post by Boy Engineer on Yesterday at 11:27:50 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Go well.
« Last post by Tseralo on Yesterday at 11:18:44 pm »
Sorry, I maybe could have chosen better words. I was under the assumption that it was the publisher that didn't add it.
Caving Chat / Re: BBC news article (cavers or climbers?)
« Last post by JJ on Yesterday at 10:16:39 pm »
Some of us returned today - definitely cavers! This cave was not a new discovery, rather a relatively recent French one. With not a particularly accurate survey.

This along with a number of other large chambers in Southern China were accurately laser scanned on this trip, which was led by Richard Walters and photographed by Carstan Peter and Mark Burkey.

Some Chinese cavers had joined us for a few days and where responsible for this clip I think, treat the figures with a large "pinch of salt". Now idea how the BBC got hold of it!
Idle Chat / Re: Cryptic caves
« Last post by Ian Ball on Yesterday at 10:13:43 pm »
Mangle Hole?
« Last post by Boy Engineer on Yesterday at 09:42:31 pm »
Seconded. Having had the privilege of Mr Beck’s company on a fair number of occasions, I can only hope that some of your compatriots in the TSG put you right on your unfortunate use of the ‘t’ word.
Idle Chat / Re: Age of ukcaving posters
« Last post by Roger W on Yesterday at 09:23:56 pm »
Just check out how many forum users

a.  prefer ladders to SRT

b.  prefer rope ladders to these new-fangled wire things

c.  swear by candles as a preferred illuminant

d.  advise the use of Harris tweed for caving wear

etc...
Idle Chat / Re: Age of ukcaving posters
« Last post by 2xw on Yesterday at 08:48:22 pm »
Doesn't sound like they need mentoring, sounds like they just want to go caving unfettered.

There isn't many under 30s on here, we've all gone out to post smashed avacado dinners on our instagram
Caving Chat / Re: BBC news article (cavers or climbers?)
« Last post by ObviousSpectre on Yesterday at 08:46:53 pm »
Of course they're climbers. Why else would they be wearing wellies?
« Last post by 2xw on Yesterday at 08:44:50 pm »
There is also an Index available via a link on https://www.thedca.org.uk/publications/cotpd

I keep trying to refer to that index but the person that put it together seems to have a tenuous grasp on the alphabet. I'm guessing its supposed to be printed (double sided) and leafed together? While im ranting which tit decided to make a guidebook without an index?

Authors listed in the title of this thread. I hope you are thus inspired to contribute to caving in Derbyshire as much as they did
Caving Chat / BBC news article (cavers or climbers?)
« Last post by AliRoll on Yesterday at 08:12:14 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-45931708/giant-cave-hall-discovered-down-sinkhole-in-guangxi-china

Article about caving, nice to see but they do keep referring to the cavers as climbers for some reason? (They look like cavers to me  ;) )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10