Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Dales / Re: Three Counties Grand Traverse
« Last post by A_Northerner on Today at 02:28:34 pm »
In my opinion inviting student clubs [...] would have been a mistake.

As a caver who assisted with the traverse, alongside one of the two support divers, and (from my count) at least 4 additional support cavers who all consider student clubs to be their primary clubs, I'm not sure that this comment is particularly fair!
Idle Chat / Re: Other uses for caves?
« Last post by Mrs Trellis on Today at 01:45:51 pm »
Should Cave really be spelt 'Cave' as in the French spelling as in where all the wine lives?

No - it should be spelled "cave" as in the Latin for beware eg cave canem [img]
« Last post by Goydenman on Today at 01:40:31 pm »
MASSIVE well done to the divers, support teams...and not forgetting all the diggers that over the years have made the connections. The traverse as well as a great challenge was a great way to celebrate the links being made. Lovely to see some of the photos thanks for the link
That fault chamber is superb.

Only one I've seen comes anywhere close is the one at the bottom of Old Gells Mine in Wirksworth ;D
Peak District / Re: Old tor mine
« Last post by Big Jim on Today at 01:06:42 pm »
You tried the National Trust T?
Sporting Trips in The UK / Re: Otter Hole - Beyond the Upstream Sumps
« Last post by PeteHall on Today at 11:28:27 am »
And seeing your logistical challenges to get the team there really underlines again the impressive achievement of the 3 Countries Traverse team this weekend  :o  :thumbsup:

Yes indeed! Getting that many people in the right place, with the right kit, at the right time is in my opinion a far grater feat than actually doing the caving! And that's not to do down the challenges of the caving!

Part of Saturday's trip was a recci for next year's (or some unspecified future year's) push in Tunnels Left. With a bit more knowledge of the route and the conditions, we can start to plan the logistics, which will be a little more challenging than what we've done so far!
Sporting Trips in The UK / Re: Otter Hole - Beyond the Upstream Sumps
« Last post by Rob on Today at 11:11:11 am »
Great write-up, really interested to see how this project develops. Thanks.

And seeing your logistical challenges to get the team there really underlines again the impressive achievement of the 3 Countries Traverse team this weekend  :o  :thumbsup:
« Last post by Badlad on Today at 09:42:24 am »
To be fair Jason CNCC felt it had already supported the traverse and all other caving trips in the area. 

It had drastically improved access permissions so that the traverse didn't have to rely on the limited written permits which used to be the norm.  A grand traverse like this could just make use of the booking system for any and all the entrances year round and not have to negotiate special permissions which it might have done in the past. 

It also oversees and supports the anchor placement and maintenance programme which everyone uses.

The conservation volunteers organised by CNCC help repair degrading entrances, stiles, stock-proofing etc to try to keep everyone sweet.

CNCC as an organisation didn't think their role was to be involved directly with the grand traverse event and clearly it wasn't needed anyway  ;)

Well done on a great trip BTW.
« Last post by alexchien on Today at 09:17:31 am »
Understand it was about a 4:30am exit for the guys. Felt absolutely privileged to have been able to contribute in some sort of ways (Go Burkey's Bitches!).

Massive effort from Jason and Chris, and everyone else involved in the logistics of it.

My only negative point (and I potentially understand the reasons for it), is that I only heard about this going ahead by chance. It could have been a great bit of publicity for caving, and I'm not sure it'll get the same level of coverage after the matter. Also would have massively increased the number of volunteers willing to come and help and carry, and would have been great experience for university cavers (something Russell actually pointed out to me at the start of the thinking for this).

My understanding of this, is that unfortunately, CNCC and BCA both refused to support the project, hence it was run and financed privately, and little promoted in advance to the wider caving community.
This was not the original concept.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal