WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > The Dales

Recommended high water "safe locations"

(1/4) > >>

bubba:
Prompted by discussion of the recent fatalities in Lower Long Churn, I thought i would start this topic in order that people can share any knowledge of locations that may be good to head to if you are ever faced with rising water. If this is useful we can have one for all areas.

Please post the name of the cave system and identification and clear directions to what may be considered a safe(r) location to try to reach if you find yourself in difficulty.

This may not prove to be a useful topic but if it ever helps to save lives then it's worth it.

Any information published here is merely a guide and will not ensure your safety. Use such information at your own risk.

kay:
Long Churn:
Others have said 'the ledge above the Cheese Press'. I think this is the ledge used by Morley Potholing Club when they had a flood call out in Long Churn 11 years ago. For a full account, see

http://www.morleycavers.org.uk/

and go to "About the club". Drop down "Fun Meets Reports" and click on "Alum pot on a very wet day,
Oct 1996"

NigR:
Mossdale Caverns:

Many years ago I had the intention of installing a fixed rope partway up the Great Aven as this is one of the few places in the near reaches of the cave which does not flood to the roof. Sadly, I never got around to it but I feel it is worth mentioning now as it would still make a worthwhile project for a locally-based caver and could ultimately help save lives if anyone was ever caught out by flood water between the Marathon crawls and the entrance.

graham:
In 1950 two UBSS members were trapped by flooding in the Coolagh River Cave in Co Clare. They sat out the flood on a ledge in Double Passage. In 1967 we discovered that the entire cave will fill to the roof in certain conditions.

In 1967 a party of UBSS were trapped by flooding in Little Neath, subsequently we installed a "rescue dump" in Mud Hall. In 1970 another party became trapped in similar fashion and we discovered that the Mud hall location was useless as it was unreachable, if not actually underwater, in such conditions. We subsequently moved the dump to Genesis Gallery, somewhat higher above the stream.

It was maintained by us for some years and subsequently by the WSG, I do not know if it is still there. However, as far as I know the only usage was by hungry diving sherpas who raided it while waiting to carry stuff back from sump 2.

I know that other such dumps have been left in a number of UK & Irish caves. What I don't know is if any of them have ever proved useful (for their original purpose).

Beardy:

--- Quote from: NigR on January 01, 2008, 10:58:23 pm ---Mossdale Caverns:

Many years ago I had the intention of installing a fixed rope partway up the Great Aven as this is one of the few places in the near reaches of the cave which does not flood to the roof. Sadly, I never got around to it but I feel it is worth mentioning now as it would still make a worthwhile project for a locally-based caver and could ultimately help save lives if anyone was ever caught out by flood water between the Marathon crawls and the entrance.

--- End quote ---

Hi Nig
- for info - there is a rope installed part way up The Great Aven,
- about a third of the way from memory (c12m), would have been installed in the late 1990's. .
The top of the aven does look promising - bit the rock was scarily loose.

--- Quote from: Simon Beck on January 02, 2008, 01:33:21 am ---Funnily enough there's an insitu rope attached to the roof of the great aven at present, but! i doubt it stays flood proof,

--- End quote ---

Has somebody finished off the climb? I wonder what is at the top.....?

--- Quote from: Simon Beck on January 02, 2008, 01:33:21 am ---if i was on my way out and it began to flood at boulder hall i'm hardly gonna rush back the great aven.

--- End quote ---

If I was in Boulder Hall and it started to Flood, I think that i'd head to Confusion Cavern.

In the far reaches of the Marathon Series, Anniversary Chamber at the far end of the High Level Mud Caverns South would be safe from most floods.

regards
Beardy 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version