WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > Peak District

Free Krab in giants upper pullthrough!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Wardy:
As Sam says they generally need some load applying.
When there is a load on the karabiner it is quite common to just have a quick check to see if it is done up properly. When you do this you can often get a little bit of an extra turn on the gate, however when unloaded they are then more difficult to release.
The reason is most connectors elongate a little under load - allowing further tightening of the gate. They are in effect a C shape and under lower loads the gate pin does not take any load allowing the c to uncurls a little.
Once you unload the karabiner it reverts to its previous length and locks the gate - sometimes so it cannot be undone.
So rather than bite or hit it just clip in to it and apply a load and the try again.
If that fails then feel free to bray the living daylights out of it, but throw it away afterwards!!!!!

droid:
Few pies from Bradda Chippy and go back later....

T pot 2:
It's not correct practice but I never tighten a crab or mallion tight I always tighten them and then back them off a quarter of a turn

2xw:

--- Quote from: droid on October 14, 2021, 06:25:09 pm ---Few pies from Bradda Chippy and go back later....

--- End quote ---

Actually this was the reason I was up there, couldn't get up the f'in stresmway

Thanks everyone for your advice and good technical explanation!!

alastairgott:
I think you can

--- Quote from: 2xw on October 14, 2021, 09:25:38 am ---self refer as a nobhead on UKC
--- End quote ---

I think I would do so more if only I knew how :lol: :bounce: :dig: :blink: :clap2: :smartass: :tease:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version