What else do you do apart from caving?

Peter Burgess

I thought of setting this up as a poll, but I think it's better as a simple chat thread.

Is caving your primary interest, or is there something else you do that is your main area of leisure activity? What would you be doing if there was no such thing as caving? I don't expect replies to be representative of the UK in general, since I suspect that if caving is not your main activity, you are less likely to be on the forum.

I expect there's a good number of climbers here, and maybe some divers (open water).

For me, if caving/mining didn't exist, I would be into industrial things - a bit of a Fred Dibnah, I suspect.

Stupot

If caving was not an option I would have carried on climbing, although I haven't been in years since caving took over, I would probably dive more too.

Going back 5 - 6 years I was an obsessed Carp Angler and would spent every Friday, Saturday night in my bivvy waiting for that monster carp to take my bait, I used to get the buggers in the end upto 51lb's and I caught a Catfish in France that wieghed 86lb's  :eek: , O and a shark that wieghed 160lb's.

But fishing is a thing of the past now although one day I may return and show them all how it's done, so If anyone wants some kit I have over £7000 worth gathering dust.

Stu.

Peter Burgess

graham said:
I do not understand the question?   :confused:

OK, sit quietly at the back of the class, listen to what other people say, and when you feel able to contribute, put your hand up, and you can come up to the front when it's your turn.  ;)

cap n chris

Hmm. I've tried and qualified as an open water diver but UK diving is cold and expensive and it doesn't really light my candle (pun intended); I still do quite a bit of (indoor) rock climbing - it helps with the caving technique, I find - but again it's not really my cup of tea as, to be honest, I don't like daylight exposure to height!!! Did hang gliding (for one day). The main problem, I suppose, is finding people to do things with on the spur of the moment and so I suppose my favourite alternative to caving is riding my (mountain) bike - although it's not something I frequently ride off-road although in the summer when the ground isn't boggy it is nice to cycle across the top of the hills. I intend to do a lot more cycling in 2007 and possibly more diving and certainly a lot more climbing as heights are becoming less daunting with time.

So, to summarise:

Caving = yes indeedy.
Alternatives = climbing, cycling, diving.

dunc

Caving is the main activity with a dash of mining here and there, followed by either walking(although I prefer a hint of scrambling thrown in when I do go) and mountain biking, neither of which I've done much of in 2006!

whitelackington

When I wos sixteen and in the Air Cadets, I became a glider pilot, scary stuff.
Not done it since I wos a teenager, wouldn't mind doing it again but bit old for
Air Cadets now, probably :icon_321:

Cookie

Programing computers was my passion before discovering caving. I now have two passions although most of my hobby programing effort these days seem to be caving related in some way. Caving websites, cave registry, club membership database, etc.

So my answer is computing.

W

wormster

Apart from caving:

Mountainbiking, walking, whoring, eating, boozing & smoking tabs

gus horsley

At one time caving was my dominant interest, also employed as an instructor.  But since an accident I have a damaged inner ear and can't risk going underground due to balance problems.  As a result I've increased my interests in climbing (it doesn't have the same effect for some reason), bird watching, playing music and chess.  But caving will always be my first love, even if it's from an armchair now.

AndyF

I collect victorian bottles & jars.... digging them up on old tips...

DSCF0028.jpg

path.jpg

bolt1.jpg

Strangely, like cave exploration, this also involves reserach, digging and discovering things...... :doubt:

Caves and mines were often used as dumps (e.g. the pottery and glass in Bull pot of the Witches) If anyone finds anything like this on their travels, please let me know.

SamT

If only I had the time..In order of preference

Climbing,snowboarding,clubbing,windsurfing,mountain biking, skateboarding, open water diving.

In reality, I get out caving about once a week at the moment due to child care responsibilies. (mainly in the weed day evening)

I occasionally get out climbing (say once every 2 months).

We try and go for weeks snowboarding each year, but due to ben being due last febuary, we didnt get out. Not sure about this year either, moving house in january, will have to see how much money I have left.

Would love to get out clubbing again. but would probably feel too old these days.

Windsufing was something I did a huge amount as a kid - I occasionally hire a board if I happen to be on a beach type holiday. Not very often.

Mountain biking - again, done loads, and had a day in chamonix downhill (awesome) this year.

Still got my skateboard. Wistfully look at the skatepark in our local park when pushing ben round in the pram. Guess whos going to be "embarrasing dad" in about 8 years time

Diving is only something we might do on a beach type holiday. did some in corsica on our honeymoon which was cool. No interest in going in britain, apart from maybe some massive wartime wrecks in the scapa flow or sommat.

seamoose

climbing, walking, skiing, snowboarding, drinking, raves, watchin bands, playing bass in band, play in pub pool team....and the odd bit of caving!

W

wormster

AndyF said:
I collect victorian bottles & jars.... digging them up on old tips...

Sittingbourne in kent is very good one of my uncles used to go bottle digging on the old victorian rubbish dumps.

peterdevlin

I got into caving, via cave diving, via open water diving, a somewhat unorthodox route I will agree.

So if I am now a compulsive caver and cave diver (at least as much as my wife lets me), it's all my wife's fault, 'cos 6 years ago on a visit to Cairns she suggested  I do a try dive. At least that's what I whisper to myself whenever she complains about me getting underground, or about wet caving and diving gear drying in our front hall.

I don't do any open water diving anymore, not 'cos I don't like it, more just because time is short and I love being underground more.

I sometimes think about doing some climbing, more to improve my free climbing skills, but I experience a fairly intense fear of heights, which for reasons I don't understand I don't experience underground.

So basically, apart from caving (assuming you count cave diving as caving) I work, commute and spend a bit of time with my family.

Ciao,
Peter

francis

I like caving and mining but don't do it as often as I would like to. During the winter season I do a lot of snowboarding as it's only about 4-5 km to the skiing centre and I buy a season pass. I also do some telemark skiing. I try and do a few trips up mountains with skins on my skis or snowshoes and ski or snowboard down every winter but it doesn't always happen. I also like riding my mountain bike up and down the various tracks in the woods here. I used to do some free diving in the sea when I lived on the west coast of Norway but I haven't done any for a few years. I would like to take up diving when I'm in a better financial situation (student arm).
I also really enjoy glacier walking but not done it for a few years either.

[/rant]

Francis ;)

Peter Burgess

It's interesting to see how many cyclists we have. I hadn't considered this. You lot are far too healthy for me. I suppose the only regular exercise I get is going underground, and I don't manage that all the time. Cycling is something I enjoy, but I wouldn't have considered it an alternative for me in the absence of caving. I suppose I like the opportunity to get out and explore, so long walks to interesting places are on the list. Interesting to me means somewhere with some tangible history.

As for cycling, I was out today, cycling to the garage to pick up my car, and either I am getting too old, the bike is getting too old, or both, as I was knackered after about 80 mins of reasonably level going. Then I had to fork out 'a lot' of money to take the car away.  :cry: I say let's do away with MOT tests!