NEWS, NOTICES & THE FORUM > Mining Chat

Mining Studentships - 1917

(1/2) > >>

Judi Durber:

Can anyone explain what a Mining Studentship would entail in 1917?  The area is North Staffs.

shotlighter:

--- Quote from: Judi Durber on October 03, 2021, 04:17:23 pm ---
Can anyone explain what a Mining Studentship would entail in 1917?  The area is North Staffs.

--- End quote ---
I would guess they would be evening classes run by the North Staffs Mining Institute.
There are a full set of copies of their proceedings, in the Apedale Heritage Center IIRC.
I'm guessing that your family are from the Audley area?

Tomferry:
I would assume linked to the war effort ?

Judi Durber:

--- Quote ---I'm guessing that your family are from the Audley area?
--- End quote ---

Yes miners around Silverdale and farmers.

shotlighter:

--- Quote from: Judi Durber on October 03, 2021, 09:16:17 pm ---
--- Quote ---I'm guessing that your family are from the Audley area?
--- End quote ---

Yes miners around Silverdale and farmers.

--- End quote ---
My family on my dad’s side are all from that general area (I was born in Silverdale) and nearly all worked in the local pits. A few years back I would have just asked my dad & Uncle Roy what they knew of your family. They were fonts of knowledge when it came to local mines & families but they’re not there to ask anymore.
Staffordshirechina who posted a lot on Aditnow & occasionally posts here, would be a good person for you to talk to. He managed some of the local footralls (small mines) & his family were involved in local mining for a long time.
Given the duel mining/farming interests it’s more than likely that your family had one or more footralls on their land. On the west side of the coalfield, the two went hand in hand. I had a quick look in the only footrall listing I have (for 1955)  & couldn’t see the name Durber as owners but it is quite late.
Incidentally Brayford, one of the names in you OP clipping, was a very prominent name in local footralls & operated quite a few in the local area.
Finally, IIRC a Dr Durber was a GP in Talke Pits in the early 60’s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version