Author Topic: Speleology Magazine  (Read 4005 times)

Offline cavermark

• forum hero
Speleology Magazine
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:51:49 pm »
Is this magazine still being produced?

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
Re: Speleology Magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »
It's about to be re-launched with the next issue due out December 2013.

See page 6 of the Hidden Earth 2013 programme:

http://hidden-earth.org.uk/archive.he13/HE13_program_v2.pdf

Offline cavermark

• forum hero
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
Cheers Rhys,
Who's editing it now?

Online damian

• forum hero
  • Hades CC, YSS
    • Hades Caving Club
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »
It's a combined team of David Gibson (in overall charge), Erin Lynch, Hugh Penney and Nigel Ball. As Rhys says, expect a copy in early December with further editions planned more or less fitting the so-far theoretical schedule of 3 per year - April, August and December.

Offline DavidGibson

• lurker
  • menacing presence
    • My web site
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »
expect a copy in early December with further editions planned more or less fitting the so-far theoretical schedule of 3 per year - April, August and December.

The timescale slipped  :( and the December issue went to the printers towards the end of January. They took an unusually long time to print and mail it but was eventually "published" on 10 February.  I dont see why any of the next three issues shouldnt be "more or less" on time in April, August and December.
BCRA Secretary from 1/1/2010.

Offline cavermark

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:53 am »
Just reading the latest copy now - excellent work!  :beer2:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:34:40 am »
Yes - an excellent effort; well done Dave & team.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:27:54 pm »
Very nice to see some Derbyshire news in there, especially the Speedwell flood-pulsing article by Nigel Ball. Excellent stuff!

Offline Rob

• forum hero
  • The Eldon
    • My Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 03:57:59 pm »
...especially the Speedwell flood-pulsing article by Nigel Ball. Excellent stuff!
I second that, a very interesting set of results. Now we just need to work out what the hell is going on!!!
The end is where we start....

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »
Just reading the latest copy now - excellent work!  :beer2:

Soz if I'm being thick, but where could I get a copy from? Ta, Mel.
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline DavidGibson

• lurker
  • menacing presence
    • My web site
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 05:41:15 pm »
where could I get a copy from?

Well, it is BCA's in-house magazine, so the short answer is "join BCA [as a Direct Individual Member]"  :)

• You should be able to find a copy in your caving club library - provided your club is a member of BCA and has not opted out of receiving Speleology - and quite a few clubs do opt out. (Though hopefully theyre the ones without libraries)

• If you visit your local caving shop you might find they have a few copies lying around. We send out sample copies to the handful of caving retailers that BCRA does regular business with, although none actually orders any in bulk as it is not an item they find easy to shift.

• You can order it from BCRA. BCRA's web site is not particularly friendly when it comes to ordering periodicals. ( I'll be attending to this problem later this year) but if you  Click Here that should take you to NoChex where you should be able to make an online payment to BCRA. The cost, including postage is GBP 4.20 and you should leave a message to the effect of "Please send Speleology 19 as mentioned by David Gibson at ukcaving.com". If the NoChex site appears not to work, or throws up strange messages, please let me know and I'll give you another URL.  We prefer NoChex to Paypal as they are a UK company (based in Leeds) and they are easier to deal with than PayPal. But there are some strange quirks to their system, which Im still trying to iron out.

• Free download. If you are prepared to wait a few weeks, Speleology 19 will be available online at bcra.org.uk/sp

Offline mmilner

• forum hero
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:50:09 pm »
Many thanks David. Have just ordered it from BCRA via nochex as you suggested. (Nice to have a paper copy.) Look forward to reading it!  :thumbsup:

(My club is a member of BCA, but probably only for the insurance.)

Regards, Mel.
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline Antwan

• junky
  • YSS
    • 3peaksuk.org
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:02:16 pm »
Can I ask are the entrants from last years Hidden Earth photo salon still getting a free copy? Or will I need to order one?  ( or did I indeed dream this up!)

Offline DavidGibson

• lurker
  • menacing presence
    • My web site
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:44 am »
Can I ask are the entrants from last years Hidden Earth photo salon still getting a free copy? Or will I need to order one?  ( or did I indeed dream this up!)
I think you must be imagining that! Contributors to the magazine (including photo salon entrants, if I use their photos in a larger size than "thumbnail") get asked if they want a free copy, but that's the extent of our generosity, Im afraid.

Offline Antwan

• junky
  • YSS
    • 3peaksuk.org
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:17 am »
Cool, Almost remembered it right from 5 months ago. Ill get an order in  :thumbsup:

Offline mmilner

• forum hero
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 02:17:28 pm »
Got it today  :) Excellent!  :thumbsup: Only read parts of it so far, there's so much content. (50 pages or so.) Very good production quality. Esp. liked the article on 'Cave Conservation with CNCC and NE' Didn't realise Andrew and all the other volunteers had done so many projects, there's only a few reported n the monitoring web site. keep up the great work everyone!  :thumbsup:

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer.

Offline Antwan

• junky
  • YSS
    • 3peaksuk.org
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »
Well its took me a week to read it at work, Good effort.

Small question though, Who wrote the peak flooding article? Its not clear (to me at least) who is writing some of the stuff in the magazine

Offline cavermark

• forum hero
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:48 pm »
Well its took me a week to read it at work, Good effort.

Small question though, Who wrote the peak flooding article? Its not clear (to me at least) who is writing some of the stuff in the magazine

Nigel Ball.

The contents list mentions authors, and most of the sub headings on the articles.  :)