Author Topic: A simple question - How many Mendip Caves are on Access Land?  (Read 16239 times)

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
Re: A simple question - How many Mendip Caves are on Access Land?
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2016, 10:34:20 am »
A few comments in a local rag, and debates on a forum are hardly a 'public campaign' anyway.

It's about time some people got a sense of perspective: caving is a minority sport/pastime.
Very important to those that do it, it's virtually invisible to the general public (unless there's a rescue), mainly due to it's nature.

To most people the question of open access to caves is an esoteric irrelevance. And herein lies the problem. BCA can throw money at CRoW all it likes, Tim can conduct a campaign of brilliance, but the whole thing will be ignored by the bulk of parliament and the public. That isn't the fault of those questioning the Constitution, or conservation, it's just the nature of the beast.

I can't help thinking that if a similar effort (and there's been a lot of effort, I'm in awe of the work Tim's put in on this) was put into revising the permit system for the Dales, then there'd be a lot more to show for it.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:55 am »

I'm in awe of the work Tim's put in on this)

We all are, thank you Tim.

... revising the permit system for the Dales, then there'd be a lot more to show for it.

You really haven't been paying attention have you.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:02 am »
Probably not.

Makes two of us, doesn't it.....lol
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline cavermark

• forum hero
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »
By conducting a public campaign against CRoW ... are doing damage to the public image of caving and the BCA. What benefit can there possibly be in what they are doing?

What benefit is there in preserving or enhancing the public image of caving and the BCA?

Funding for things like cave rescue for a start....

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2016, 05:17:36 pm »
Gating combined with a warden does work. Really well.

I don't know why you keep telling us this.

It was NOT a CRoW-related response; it was a pure/simple response to an earlier post which pointed out that gating per se does not protect caves and this is something that I agree with, hence the additional comment that to protect caves which are gated you need to add a conservation warden to the package. Nothing to do with CRoW other than that the posts happened to crop up inside this thread. Move on.

Offline badger

• forum star
  • WSCC. WCC
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2016, 05:57:37 pm »
not sure chris has been the one who keeps saying this rather than saying yes this approach has and does work really well.

Offline menacer

• junky
  • Craven Pothole Club
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2016, 06:58:09 pm »
there is a big difference in mendip/dales and unfortunately crow or no crow that's not going to change,
those on mendip cant see that actually the mechanisms are in place so that with crow the caves like UPS, St cuthberts will remain with the same access conditions as they have now. and cavers who visit mendips will understand and respect that,
in the same breath the cavers of mendips who visit the dales will get the benefit of crow, and with this access you can use better judgement to whether they are suitable to go down on a given day with the weather, and not push yourself to go down cause you waited so long for a permit
\ :beer2:
Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done.