• Starless River- Coming to a caving hut near you!

    Any questions or comments please email us at info@starlessriver.com or contact Tony directly. Thanks!

    Click here for the thread

  • Descent QI Competition

    Our October/November issue will be Descent 300 - a major landmark, which we plan to celebrate in style!

    ...we're running a competition with great prizes!

    Click here for more info and how to enter

Posting photos on UKCaving.com

The Old Ruminator

Well-known member
So presumably they do not get assimilated by Google then. That would be a shame as I know a lot of non cavers ( for better or for worse ? ) look at UK Caving. Some forums have nil Google capture and some are public but retain one section for members only- non Google. ( The latter  "Derelict Places" which also applies to text ). It all depends on whether you want your entire content made public. Attachments may restrict the size of your posted image and for that reason I use " Postimage " for third party hosting. But then I used Photobucket for many years who have now gone from free to $399 per year meaning many photo threads on this forum will be ripped to pieces this year. It seems no single way is perfect but I must say Postimage is very easy and quick to use.
 

mudman

Member
The Old Ruminator said:
So presumably they do not get assimilated by Google then. That would be a shame as I know a lot of non cavers ( for better or for worse ? ) look at UK Caving. Some forums have nil Google capture and some are public but retain one section for members only- non Google. ( The latter  "Derelict Places" which also applies to text ). It all depends on whether you want your entire content made public. Attachments may restrict the size of your posted image and for that reason I use " Postimage " for third party hosting. But then I used Photobucket for many years who have now gone from free to $399 per year meaning many photo threads on this forum will be ripped to pieces this year. It seems no single way is perfect but I must say Postimage is very easy and quick to use.

I believe that  nowadays you are supposed to add "(bastards)" when you mention Photobucket (bastards).  ;)
 

Simon Wilson

New member
andys said:
Hi Fulk, You can now attach images directly from your computer into your post, so no need for them to be hosted elsewhere. Just click the "Attachments and other Options" button below the post as per screen shot, follow the instructions and away you go.....

I can't get this to work. I click on "Attachments and other Options" and I see no instructions. There is a box to browse for attachments which I did and selected the attachment but nothing appeared in the text box and the attachment did not appear when I clicked 'preview'.
 

andys

Well-known member
Simon Wilson said:
andys said:
Hi Fulk, You can now attach images directly from your computer into your post, so no need for them to be hosted elsewhere. Just click the "Attachments and other Options" button below the post as per screen shot, follow the instructions and away you go.....

I can't get this to work. I click on "Attachments and other Options" and I see no instructions. There is a box to browse for attachments which I did and selected the attachment but nothing appeared in the text box and the attachment did not appear when I clicked 'preview'.

Did you check that your attachment met the criteria as specified? That is....

Allowed file types: gif, jpg, pdf, png
Restrictions: 10 per post, maximum individual size 1024KB

That's what I was meaning when wrote "instructions".
 

Simon Wilson

New member
The image I tried to attach is .jpg and 53kB.

I have tried with text and without and clicking 'preview'. What I haven't tried yet is writing text and attaching an image and clicking 'post'.

So I'll try that now. If there's an image it worked.

Well that's bloody stupid and another reason not to use this method of posting images - you can't preview them.

People not logged in will find this confusing because they won't see the image - only logged-in people will see that there is an image.
 

Attachments

  • . blank blue.jpg
    . blank blue.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 225

Simon Wilson

New member
This is an experiment with size which I am posting but would preview if it would let me.


And the result is that it appears smaller.
 

Attachments

  • . blank blue smaller.jpg
    . blank blue smaller.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 380

andys

Well-known member
Its "horses for courses" with both methods.

Postimages is fine for now, but you have to wonder if it will one day go the same way as, say, Photobucket ("bastards") or Flickr ("bastards") (or Klikonline ("bastards") or Fotopic ("bastards").....)  when someone realises there is money to be made. As attachments, at least the photos are stored on the UK Caving server so will be around for (hopefully!) as long as it is.

On the other hand, attachments need you to be logged on and (some people - but not me) have trouble previewing them. Perhaps the latter is a "fault" that deserves some attention from the gurus? Perhaps the former is a limitation which could be removed, also by the gurus? Pegasus??

So horses for courses.
 

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Just having a practice with postimage

What%u2019s the best (easiest!!) solution for videos?


DCA35-B77-4-FE9-4-DB5-9829-437-ADC618-DC0.jpg
[/url][/img]

39-E05-B8-F-3464-4-C39-97-A8-E59286-E5-B99-F.jpg
[/url][/img]

 

MarkS

Moderator
Ian P said:
Just having a practice with postimage

What%u2019s the best (easiest!!) solution for videos?


DCA35-B77-4-FE9-4-DB5-9829-437-ADC618-DC0.jpg
[/url][/img]

39-E05-B8-F-3464-4-C39-97-A8-E59286-E5-B99-F.jpg
[/url][/img]

Where you have written:

Code:
[IMG]http://[url=https://postimg.cc/Ff2kS67g][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Ff2kS67g/DCA35-B77-4-FE9-4-DB5-9829-437-ADC618-DC0.jpg[/IMG][/url][/img]

you would need to write:

Code:
[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/Ff2kS67g/DCA35-B77-4-FE9-4-DB5-9829-437-ADC618-DC0.jpg[/IMG]

which would display as below:

DCA35-B77-4-FE9-4-DB5-9829-437-ADC618-DC0.jpg


For videos on youtube you can just paste the link directly, e.g.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3n5Hx7GJIE

displays as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3n5Hx7GJIE
 
Top