Author Topic: Peak Guide  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Cryptic

• regular
    • Off Gassing diving forum
Peak Guide
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »
Hi,

I'm starting caving again after a lay off since the late 80s.

I've got my trusty Caves of Derbyshire from then (and an even earlier edition of it).

Has it been updated since, or is there a new guide?

Thanks
Rediscovering caving after years away.

I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to unarmed.

You're funny. I'll kill you last.

Offline underground

• junky
Re: Peak Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 05:58:30 pm »
Here you go (quick and easy link; may be cheaper and more plentiful in a caving shop?)

Caves of the Peak District

Offline Cryptic

• regular
    • Off Gassing diving forum
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »
Thank you.
Rediscovering caving after years away.

I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to unarmed.

You're funny. I'll kill you last.

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »
or you can get it direct from the DCA who produced it:-

http://thedca.org.uk/publications

Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:02:29 pm »
There are also specific rigging guides by the DCA (official P bolted routes only) and CCPC which includes other routes as well, from the usual suspects...

Offline Gollum

• menacing presence
  • I don't do high, wet, tight or dark
    • Twin Peaks Outdoor Activities
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:21:25 am »
There are also specific rigging guides by the DCA (official P bolted routes only) and CCPC which includes other routes as well, from the usual suspects...

I would go for the CCPC one because it's got them all in it. Don't realy know why DCA decided to publish one after all this time of having nothing. Maybe they saw how much profit they made from the guide book :-\
Twin Peaks Outdoor Activities
Quality Instruction in the Peak District

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »
The DCA rigging guide is a part of the Handbook, Which also gives details of access arrangements for those caves which need them.
Access agreements are forever being reset by the landowners usually in response to trespass, vandalism or just plain ignorance on the part of those not aware of the situation, the handbook is published as an attempt to ease these problems and should be used as a companion to COPD.
The simple method of publication means that it will be relatively easy and cheap to update when required, this is the DCA's intention.
The rigging guide shows only those routes which are bolted and maintained by the DCA under the approved National Bolting Scheme, not all the routes in the CCPC guide have this approval.

Re: Gollum; If the DCA was thinking of profit, it certainly would not make the handbook freely available on their website, is the CCPC guide as freely available?
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline mmilner

• Experienced digging / conservation juggling
  • forum hero
  • Outside Handshake Cave, Manifold Valley.
    • Darfar P.C. web site
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »
Re: Gollum; If the DCA was thinking of profit, it certainly would not make the handbook freely available on their website, is the CCPC guide as freely available?

:thumbsup:
Norbert Casteret (Ten Years Under the Earth) and Pierre Chevalier (Subterranean Climbers) were my inspiration to start caving. (And I'm still doing it.) Secretary, Darfar Potholing Club, the Peak District.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search