Author Topic: BCA statement on CROW land  (Read 7904 times)

Offline blackholesun

• menacing presence
BCA statement on CROW land
« on: March 31, 2013, 11:41:19 am »
This is not meant to be an entirely serious post.

If you've not already seen it BCA released a statement written by Dave Judson in 2010. It was their opinion on the matter and may now be influencing and strengthening their members opinions in a nightmare of circular logic. It can be found at http://www.british-caving.org.uk/membership/landownership+caves_240310.pdf

The rest of the document has been debated elsewhere, but one paragraph must be seen to be believed:

"Think about it, free access to caves and potholes would be quite inoperable (and dangerous) in many situations including popular sites such as Lancaster Hole, Gaping Gill, Ogof Fynnon Ddu, Swildons Hole, etc."

So, I've thought about it Dave.

Lancaster Hole: A cave that could not be more popular if it had no permit system and everywhere else in the Dales did. Truly this pot is a notorious scourge of cavers, with freshers sometimes getting stuck at the rebelay for a whole ten minutes.

Swildons Hole: Thank heavens this cave doesn't have free access! Truly, having to pay a pound to get changed in the barn has made this cave safe and operable.

GG: Pirated to the extent that two groups may avoid each other on the nature trail, both thinking the other has the permit. One caver I know forgot that a permit was required for an entire decade. As far as I can remember it lacks fragile features on the trade routes. Fortunately, it doesn't have free access which magically makes it safe! One group (who won't be named) recently tried to do Dihedral with a heavy snow melt on, but of course, as they had a permit they came to no harm.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:46:05 am by Rhys, Reason: name removed from thread title »

Offline blackholesun

• menacing presence
Re: BCA/Judson statement on CROW land
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:59 am »
The rest of the statement was debated on http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=9925.50
and recently http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=14948.550
The legislation is here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/contents
Decide for yourself if "The law in England and Wales is thus absolutely clear" with regards to caving!

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:14 pm »

GG:  .... As far as I can remember it lacks fragile features on the trade routes.

It does now, didn't always though. Wonder why.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline Stuart Anderson

• forum hero
  • Yorkshire Subterranean Society - A.N.U.S.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »
Less enlightened times. It won't have been anyone with a permit though. The permit exudes a mystical aura which precludes you from doing any damage.

A silly response of course.
I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Offline Ian Adams

• forum hero
  • UCET
    • UCET Caving Club (North Wales)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:53:49 pm »
The permit exudes a mystical aura which precludes you from doing any damage.

LMAO  :lol:  :lol: :lol:
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:15:40 pm »
Well nout got damaged in Lost Johns yesterday belive the power of the permit for it is real and can absolve all your sins. All hail the permit :bow: :bow: :bow:
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
  • Left ukcaving by this name
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:03:10 pm »
And Ogof Ffynnon Ddu? The cave where, when you collect your key, you fill in a chit which, for as long as I have been caving, provides a reliable check on overdue parties and the rough area you are visiting? A system which has allowed a lot of cavers to be rescued safe and well through a system that works almost like clockwork when it has to? Would free access provide such security? Would having free access maintain this level of security? I am given to understand that since the leader requirement was relaxed for Ogof Ffynnon Ddu I, the number of rescues there has increased. One reason for once having a leader was that the leader was required to know his or her way around, which is especially important when the river is in flood. It might not be free access, but it is a relaxation of access requirements, and (as far as I am aware) has led to a deterioration in safety witnessed by the increase in incidents (I am happy to be corrected if this is not so). Of course, everyone visiting under "free access" is also free to make their own call out arrangements - and under free access there will be a lot of cavers who won't, you can be sure of it. But I for one am perfectly happy with the way things operate at SWCC, and would be horrified to see "free access" there.
I am also very disappointed to see Dave Judson's advice being ridiculed. Whether his statement is perfect or could be better is one thing. But to make light of it, and associate a really helpful and useful Officer with such ridicule is verging on the disgusting. Some years ago Dave was extremely helpful to me and my club when handling a delicate matter with a landowner. He was worth every minute of the time he devotes to his unpaid role.
One reason I don't post much here now is because of the, quite frankly, painful lack of respect shown by what is a minority of members here, but nevertheless they sour the atmosphere for everyone else.

Offline bob monkhouses face mole

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »
ooooooo....get her!

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 08:41:04 pm »
Well, I have no expectations that anyone else here will stand up for "respect", but I can dream.

Offline Stuart Anderson

• forum hero
  • Yorkshire Subterranean Society - A.N.U.S.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »
Well, I have no expectations that anyone else here will stand up for "respect", but I can dream.

Peter that last reply to you from bob was uncalled for. I suspect you and I might be on different sides of the access fence but you didn't deserve that. To be fair, now it's calmed down a bit, the "other" thread has at least turned into something a bit healthier.

I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:43 pm »
I am grateful to the face mole for proving my point so succinctly.

Offline blackholesun

• menacing presence
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »
I made no comment on OFD, as I have visited it fewer times than the others and never personally had to arrange access for it.

Peter, I meant no disrespect whatsoever towards David. I've no doubt, from your experience with him and the fact that he is a key member of the BCA, that he is more generous and has done more for caving than I likely ever will.

I was, if you like, ridiculing the statement. Not the man, not the people behind it. Nothing was meant to cause personal offence.

I think that the document was written mainly to provide advice with the hope of helping other cavers. However, it appears that this document has made an impression on many cavers and some landowners, so it is not beyond criticism or scrutiny.

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 09:42:49 pm »
One reason for once having a leader was that the leader was required to know his or her way around, which is especially important when the river is in flood. It might not be free access, but it is a relaxation of access requirements, and (as far as I am aware) has led to a deterioration in safety witnessed by the increase in incidents (I am happy to be corrected if this is not so). Of course, everyone visiting under "free access" is also free to make their own call out arrangements - and under free access there will be a lot of cavers who won't, you can be sure of it.
Just a random thought and no doubt drifting off-topic, but are there more rescues from OFD because people blindly dive in to the cave, knowing full well they have this almost guaranteed backup or would there be less 'rescues' if no such backup existed? I don't know the figures on trips vs rescues but does Draenen (a comparable cave in terms of length and passage complexity) suffer the same amount of rescues?

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
ooooooo....get her!

Global Moderator Comment Please try and keep on topic.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »
Just a random thought and no doubt drifting off-topic, but are there more rescues from OFD because people blindly dive in to the cave, knowing full well they have this almost guaranteed backup or would there be less 'rescues' if no such backup existed? I don't know the figures on trips vs rescues but does Draenen (a comparable cave in terms of length and passage complexity) suffer the same amount of rescues?
Not related to Peter's point which was not about the absolute number of rescues, but about the increase in number after a change in access conditions. i do not know whether his figures are correct, but would be interested to hear whether they are or not.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
One reason I don't post much here now is because of the, quite frankly, painful lack of respect shown by what is a minority of members here, but nevertheless they sour the atmosphere for everyone else.

Respect is earned. It is not an automatic right.

I have no doubt the man works very hard, but it does not, at any point, confer automatic respect.
Permission? Wassat den?

Offline Anon

• Nobody
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:38:27 pm »
Not related to Peter's point which was not about the absolute number of rescues, but about the increase in number after a change in access conditions. i do not know whether his figures are correct, but would be interested to hear whether they are or not.
Considering access has only changed within the last year (ish) it is hardly a fair comparison, I would think a few years is required before a reasonable assessment can be made on the true impact.

I would guess OFD I has become more popular because of easier access, I've certainly made use of this easier access in the last year. Prior to this change I always assumed it would be a pain in the arse to arrange a trip, based partly on the DYO experience where the "availability" of leaders is somewhat sketchy, where it's not what you know it's who you know seems to ring true..
It is blatantly obvious more trips equals more potential for rescues. Are those alleged extra incidents because of flooding (2012 has been one of the wettest years on record) or just getting lost - are they lost in OFD I or II? Would those rescues still have occurred if they were on a Cwm Dwr-Top through trip? As can be seen a significant number of variables come in to play.

Either way, rescue statistics are irrelevant and have no bearing on cave access issues. If that were the case Porth-yr-Ogof should have been a leader system years ago!  ::)

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
  • Don't follow too close.....
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:27 am »
Blackholesun clearly stated at the outset:

"This is not meant to be an entirely serious post."

Anyways...

The thread has drifted way off topic. My response here is mainly in reply to Mr Burgess.

I will add my thoughts on OFD1 and the system in general. I do not think there was any implication that access to OFD should be 'free'.

OFD1 has had a leader system in place for many years (more than I can remember), in order to satisfy the wishes of the Land Owners at Y Grithig and keep the numbers of cavers crossing their land (very close to their house) to a reasonable minimum. There is an added factor that the water supply for Y Grithig used to and may still, come from Ffynnon Ddu. Less cavers = less mucky water. Recently, the previous owners of Y Grithig have moved on, and access is no longer via the garden and seems to no longer be an issue.

Realistically, the Fynnon Ddu streamway in OFD1 is no more dangerous than the streamway in Ffynnon Ddu 2. Both are extremely dangerous in high water and easily under-estimated or mis-judged by inexperienced or unlucky parties. In either section of the streamway, knowing when to stay out of the stream, when to get out of the stream, and very importantly, how to get out of the stream are all crucial if one is to venture into the said streamway. Understanding the risk of flooding and the requisite of knowing the escape routes were the entry level requirements along with general route finding to allow one to be named as an OFD1 leader.
I risk opening myself to attack here but here goes:
Most of the rescues from the Ogof Ffynnon Ddu system are due to inexperienced parties losing their way whilst attempting through trips between the various entrances.
It would not suprise me in the slightest, that due to the withdrawl of the requirement to have an OFD1 leader with you when go into the bottom end of the system, that the number of callouts has increased, quite simply due to people getting lost in a very complicated and easily misjudged cave system. This will iron itself out in a few years, and will be nothing to do with the original requirement for the leader system which was geared around the risk of parties being caught out by flooding. To be an OFD1 leader, you did not have to know your way from Boulder Chamber to the Diver's Pitch and then onward through Cwm Dwr. However, if you wanted to do the through trip, you needed a leader, and as experienced OFD cavers, most of the leaders knew their way having caved extensively throughout the system.....As more people become familiar with the route, the callouts will decrease.
My advice to anyone wishing to explore the Ffynnon Ddu system would be to do as I and many others have - learn it slowly by yourself through trial and error and gradually increasing the distance and complexity of your trips. Do not expect to wander into OFD1, Cwm Dwr or Top Entrance, having never visited the system previously and expect to find your route through between the entrances. At all times, be aware of the potential severe danger posed by flooding in the main streamway. Go in when the water is low. Learn what the streamway is like. Learn the escape routes. Get to know the 'trade' routes.
Having been on the wrong end of the OFD streamway many years ago with someone who claimed to know the cave, but was clearly way out of their depth, I can say from experience that you do not want to be caught out. Once you are committed and things are out of hand, it is too late...we were lucky that water levels had peaked...

Free access to the Ogof Ffynnon Ddu system is not on the agenda here and not what the OP was inferring. The OFD system and the catchment are not CRoW land, they are a National Nature Reserve and access is controlled by CCW with access to the caves being managed in conjunction with the SWCC. No-one has suggested open access to OFD....

I would argue that the SWCC policy of rescue from OFD is a little over zealous, but something that parties should bear in mind given that trip length and complexity are easily overlooked in a system as big and complicated as Ogof Ffynnon Ddu.....

Dan.
You see that Taxus baccata.........that's Yew that is........

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:23 am »
To clarify a few things:

My view is that the BCA statement is worthy of a discussion - no problem.

To decide whether Dave is being ridiculed by association (not directly) I merely thought of myself in his position and how the comments might come over to me - it's not a bad thing sometimes to imagine your name in a comment, and then read through a comment to see what you think, and whether to "go into print".

Ogof Ffynnon Ddu is relevant to the discussion as it is mentioned in the BCA statement.

It is my opinion that the access framework at Ogof Ffynnon Ddu makes visits to the cave a degree safer (for reasons I have already explained, around the business of using the ticket system), even if no more cavers were to visit in the unlikely event of "free access".

Respect can be earnt, of course. But earning it is not a precondition of receiving it. There are countless landowners I have never met, have no idea what kind of people they are, but they deserve my respect if I am at all interested in visiting their property.

Earning respect is a great concept, however. If more people here (and in the wider world), tried to earn a bit of respect for themselves and not just decide who to dish it out to (or not), we might all just bump along together a bit more productively.

Offline G. Hardwick

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 09:21:16 am »

How does that work then?

If I meet a person for the first time must I be prepared to endure several days/weeks/months of offhand and insulting treatment before that person decides that I am worthy of respect?

I don`t think the vast majority of people work this way for the excellent reason that life would be unpleasant for most people most of the time.

Respect IS an automatic right on first acquaintance. It can later be forfeit. Anyone who suggests otherwise just hasn`t thought things through.

Offline owd git

• forum hero
Re: BCA statement on CROW land
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:04 am »

How does that work then?

If I meet a person for the first time must I be prepared to endure several days/weeks/months of offhand and insulting treatment before that person decides that I am worthy of respect?

I don`t think the vast majority of people work this way for the excellent reason that life would be unpleasant for most people most of the time.

Respect IS an automatic right on first acquaintance. It can later be forfeit. Anyone who suggests otherwise just hasn`t thought things through.
Whilst I respect the first posters right to an opinion;  :tease:
I respect, and agree with the thoughtfulness and decent tone of G. Hardwicks reply. :clap2: :thumbsup:
O. G.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:46:36 am by Rhys, Reason: name removed from thread title »
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Offline jonnyrocketboots

• menacing presence
  • Keep the dream alive: Hit the snooze button
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »
A little while ago I had a Gentlewomans through trip in Derbyshire with a few mates and asked for any info on this forum.  Owd Git went out of his way to tape some gen underneath the lid (and unknown to me!) on the exit in Matlock.  Was a nice surprise and I learned a lot from info received.

A successful trip and a great day out was had by all, So O.G. certainly has my respect for his help. One day I hope I can return the favour somehow.

:bow:Cheers OG!
My people also have a claim upon the riches in that mountain.

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:45 pm »

How does that work then?

Some people get my respect almost immediately, some will never get it. Most fall somewhere between.

I do not subscribe to the theory that You should automatically respect people in a position of "power". They are still people, the same as the rest of us, and like us, their attitude and actions define how quickly/if they gain respect
Permission? Wassat den?

Online droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »
All very true, but with the caveat that people that don't show respect tend not to get it.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 03:24:33 pm »
I will respect a person. I will not respect pomp or ego.

Mr. Burgess sor, I agree with what you said, just not how you said it.  :beer2:?

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 04:20:20 pm »
In all walks of life there are "givers" and "takers". From what I have seen of Dave Judson's contributions, he is, I think, one of our "givers". Ego come from the Latin for "I" - people who put themselves first no matter what. So, all those who are repeatedly telling us "I want xyz", "I have the right", or more indirectly "why don't they ....." - these may be the ones with the "ego"? <--- note the question mark. Those who you don't hear much from, but in the background are busy contributing, getting a buzz from working with others for the general betterment of the whole, these are not "egos" but certainly deserve respect. Just because they choose to work in the background and not blow trumpets, doesn't make them any the less valuable. And they are probably only too happy to get helpful or even critical comments from others, PROVIDED it is done in a positive and contributory way, rather than shouting from the touchline. I think that's why so frequently we hear from the likes of JennyP and others that the direct approach from individuals is the way forward, not policy created from the ether by anonymous disparate cavers with no form or identity. So, if you have a problem with how things are organised by representative bodies, the better way to be heard is to take it up with the positive attitude of a "giver", and not the negative sourness of a "taker". When policy statements are made, such as the one mentioned above, it would have been made with a genuine open attitude to clarify the situation to those who cared, in a simple easy to understand manner. Picking holes in the statement is not really conducive to getting it reconsidered. Making a constructive comment along the lines suggested by JennyP elsewhere is much more likely to achieve something.

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:20 pm »
From what I have seen on here I agree that JennyP deserves respect, but she also earns it through the way she communicates. I also agree that there is a problem with people who you describe as takers, but I think that it stems from unconstructive communication (and I know i have not bathed myself in glory in this regard). I feel  that there is is a need for clearer communication of what peoples needs are in these debates to further things along. What we are seeing when one group of similarly interested individuals is saying 'I have a legal right...' or 'why don't they' or 'I want XYZ' may  instead be a sign that those individuals have a need that is not being met. For example in this regard, it may be a need to feel that the BCA or whoever is supporting the interests of all cavers. The BCA or whoever also have needs, such as time to address the issues, bearing in mind they may be volunteers and may have very busy lives. If we can identify what the needs are that aren't being met, and listen to each others needs, things will be able to move forward.

Apologies for being a tit.

Offline Jopo

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 06:39:58 pm »
Danthecavingman is right.

There has NOT been a increase in rescues since the leadership requirement in OFDl was lifted. A broken ankle in OFDl.5 rescued out of OFDl. One party could not find it's way into OFDl from OFDll and returned to Top Entrance to met by the team as well overdue. One party could not find it's way out of Cwm Dwr and returned via OFDl again met as well overdue.
It is fair to say that a OFDll - OFDl required a leader who would know the way through the boulder choke from Hush Sump (not kidding that is as close as they got!)
When SWCC purchased the entrance to ensure access for cavers (in perpetuity one hopes) it was felt by most that to keep a leadership requirement in a cave where the route finding is less onerous, and no more 'dangerous' than in the rest of the cave was not justified.

If Draenen ('controlled') or for that matter Daren ('open access') or Agen Allwed ('controlled') had less than a quarter (at most) of the trips into Ogof Ffynnon Ddu then one would expect a rise in callouts.

The number of frontline rescuers within 1 hour of the cave is below 15. We do think about our responses and if you think we are over zealous move down here and join the team. I can assure you that any decent caver would be more than welcome and you will get occasionally get some good trips between 7pm and 2am  :)

Jopo

Offline Peter Burgess

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 07:32:56 pm »
Thank you Jopo. I can't remember who it was who suggested there had been more incidents through over-confident trips into Bottom entrance. Whoever it was, maybe they will read this.

Offline JessopSmythe

• obsessive maniac
  • SWCC
    • South & Mid Wales Cave Rescue Team
Re: Re: BCA statement on CROW land
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 08:51:32 pm »
Thank you Jopo. I can't remember who it was who suggested there had been more incidents through over-confident trips into Bottom entrance. Whoever it was, maybe they will read this.

Based in the typical response in other threads, it won't matter if people read it. If it fits their world view, they'll agree. If not, it'll be written off as lies designed to fit whatever the latest conspiracy theory is.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. If that doesn't work, quit. There's no point being a damn fool about it" Homer Simpson

Offline blackholesun

• menacing presence
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 11:18:47 am »
Am glad that I didn't mention OFD now!

For some perspective, I deal with science as my trade. In theory, at least, if someone criticises your idea, they are not criticising you. It simply means that when they have weighed the evidence, they have not arrived at the same conclusion. Perhaps they have seen different evidence, or perhaps they have applied different reasoning.

This post is not meant to say anything about David Judson. It is simply meant to draw light on a seemingly very influential document. If anyone has read the more absurd section and subsequently decided to scrutinise the rest of it, resulting in them drawing an informed conclusion, then I feel that this post has fulfilled its purpose.

Offline Rhys

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • SWCC, RFDCC
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 11:49:07 am »
"Think about it, free access to caves and potholes would be quite inoperable (and dangerous) in many situations including popular sites such as... Swildons Hole, etc."
[/quote]

Swildons Hole is not on CROW land. Not relevant.

Rhys

Offline potholer

• forum hero
    • http://www.potholer.com
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 09:56:53 pm »

How does that work then?

I'd say that some default level of respect as a minimum is a right on first meeting, after which it will likely change for better or worse in the light of experience.

Though, of course, the internet complicates things a little - A's experience of B might well begin or even become significant before B is even aware A exists.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »
Nah, tolerance is the word, tolerate them until you can decide to respect or otherwise, then spend time to change your attitude. This works face to face or electronically.
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline glyders

• stalker
    • ACS Adventure
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
The way I look at it there are two things about access I feel strongly about:

1. If it is on private land with no automatic right of access (eg. Swildons, Alum Pot, Pridhamsleigh) then I don't have any problem with respecting the landowner's wishes. If it is on open access land then I still don't mind respecting the landowner's wishes as long as they are fair (eg. access for cavers, walkers, climbers all the same).
I must point out that whilst I may not like it, I do still respect their access requirements. The only time I am aware that I have been caving against a landowner's wishes was due to bad gen given to me by another caver (the land had changed hands since they got permission).

2. I much prefer a system where I can do a spur of the moment trip. Due to work I never know more than a day in advance when I will be available (and that counts weekends too). Places like those I've named above are great - you either just drop money in a box or knock on the farmer's door. On the other hand, if I can't get a key to somewhere it isn't a big deal as I can go somewhere else.
I've never thought about a key/permit system for safety. I've always seen it as being about knowing who was there and when. This could then be used if there were damage above or below ground (OK, so it is more likely to have been someone else but it is a starting point - they may have seen something or be able to pinpoint the time better).

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:43 pm »
If it is on private land with no automatic right of access (eg. Swildons, Alum Pot, Pridhamsleigh) then I don't have any problem with respecting the landowner's wishes. If it is on open access land then I still don't mind respecting the landowner's wishes as long as they are fair (eg. access for cavers, walkers, climbers all the same).

That is exactly the way I look at it, which is why Leck Fell, Castleton (Though I know permits are pretty quick) and other Fells in the same situation is so unfair.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline jasonbirder

• forum star
  • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 02:58:53 pm »
They're not THAT quick tho'
Here's an example of why people are probably so fed up of the access process....
I and some of my buddies are members of a caving club that are members of the CNCC; had a day off mid-week at fairly short notice before christmas...
I got in touch explaining the situation...Club Members...Have had Casterton Fell permits before...its mid-week so its HIGHLY unlikely that there would be many other permit requests that day...explained that I knew it was short notice and if we could get something sorted out I'd follow up with the appropriate paperwork (Permit request on Club headed notepaper by Club access official) as soon as we could arrange it after the date...
The response I got was...couldn't respond to email communication...couldn't issue a permit to individuals (even members of CNCC clubs) had to be in writing...on club headed note paper...signed by either club secretary or club meets official...
No prizes for guessing what we did...
(I obviously mean we went and did Swinsto...)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 04:06:46 pm »

It is a pity you are not in the CNCC clique.  For those individuals that are they can print out their own permit, or if you know those individuals well, and you are in the right club, they will do the same for you.  I have witnessed this with my own eyes.

Unfortunately Jasonbirder you are not in the right club and/or don't know the right people.

Offline bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »
That is exactly the way I look at it, which is why Leck Fell, Castleton (Though I know permits are pretty quick) and other Fells in the same situation is so unfair.

Think you mean Casterton, Castleton is in Derbyshire.
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment