TECHNICAL FORUMS > The ukCaving Wiki project

What's happened?

(1/7) > >>

bubba:

I've noticed that the once extremely busy wiki is now only rarely updated. It's been like this for some time but I thought it might just be down to people being away/busy/etc.

Seems a shame and I was just wondering why this happened...

Better alternatives elsewhere?
Something we did/broke/said?
Something else?

It doesn't really matter - in it's current state it's still a useful resource and will remain in place but just wanted to know if there's anything we could change that might help.

Anon:

--- Quote from: bubba on June 15, 2014, 07:58:03 pm ---
I've noticed that the once extremely busy wiki is now only rarely updated. It's been like this for some time but I thought it might just be down to people being away/busy/etc.

Seems a shame and I was just wondering why this happened...

Better alternatives elsewhere?
Something we did/broke/said?
Something else?

It doesn't really matter - in it's current state it's still a useful resource and will remain in place but just wanted to know if there's anything we could change that might help.

--- End quote ---
I think my interest waned when I spent a bit of time updating a few things, including uploading a couple of pictures, only to find it wiped out by some issue that resulted in the forum and/or wiki being reset to a few days previous. Can't recall why exactly, I've drank too much and slept since then! After that I just did small occasional updates, once bitten and all that.. I've not done much recently because I've been too busy with other stuff, not visited as many caves so have less fresh info and couldn't decide if it was worth it or not (does anyone use it?)  I doubt there's anything better, at least not that I'm aware of, certainly not something that covers the whole country anyway.

But yes, still a potentially very useful resource.

Not sure if anything needs improving; maybe it just needs a fresh injection of blood! Perhaps a reminder occasionally that the resource exists and that forum members can add/edit details etc...  :shrug:

graham:
An interesting webbie conundrum.

One of the main points of the whole html thang as devised by the wonderful Tim Berners-Lee, is that it uses links. That's what hypertext is all about.

Now wiki is an interesting thing and works for something like Wikipedia 'cos it is very well known, its reliability as a source is understood (not perfect but generally OK) and thus it becomes a go-to site if you don't know much about something.

Other wikis, such as this one will suffer from both these effects.

Nobody will use the caving wiki if, a) they have a link to a better (primary?) source or b) they've never heard of it and will use a search engine which will lead them either to a (semi) reliable known like Wikipedia or an unknown but potentially authoritative source (in caving terns such as this one. (shameless plug).

it is difficult, therefore, to see where something like the caving wiki fits in, usefully.

This is not, however, to laud Wikipedia. I once spent some time creating and updating Wikipedia pages on caves only to end up banging my head against the wall when dealing with their VERY STUPID editors. I asked the guy who initiated our work why we were bothering & he pointed out that Wikipedia was the go-to resource used by the press in the event of rescues and the like. I see that, I also see that they'll not use this wiki as they'll either never see it or not be assured of its reliability if they ever do. (Which is in contradistinction to them finding and using material in the Forum itself where, being the gutter press, they'll be more interested in a juicy quote than in accuracy.)

graham:
Sorry if that sounded harsh. It wasn't meant to be, just the way I see it. Soxcial media is an interesting subject.  Listening to some research recently, people now don't use Facebook, for example, for anything except family & close friends stuff, but Twitter seems to get information out and widely spread very fast. Ephemeral, OK, but that doesn't always matter.

Bottlebank:

--- Quote ---I've noticed that the once extremely busy wiki is now only rarely updated
--- End quote ---

The what?

--- Quote ---Nobody will use the caving wiki if, a) they have a link to a better (primary?) source or b) they've never heard of it and will use a search engine which will lead them either to a (semi) reliable known like Wikipedia or an unknown but potentially authoritative source (in caving terns such as this one. (shameless plug).
--- End quote ---

I think this puts me in category b.

Could anyone explain a little?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version