Author Topic: Survey/journal availability  (Read 2584 times)

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
  • Caving slag (but SUSS really)
Re: Survey/journal availability
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 08:29:44 pm »
Yes Andrew, I'm doing it for Graham Proudlove. PM me if you want more details.

I don't have anything to do with private or secret data however and I won't work on that. Private or secret data is data that might as well not exist at all and I won't put any effort into it.

That being said I am willing to digitise anything, up to A3, for free. It can be stored in the BCA database, on a drive, on a flash card, anything you want really! As I say, just drop me a pm.

Online Ian Ball

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 10:57:44 pm »
What does digitise mean?

Offline alastairgott

• QWERTY abusing
  • forum hero
  • Live in Hope, Die in a Vein
    • CURB Hope Valley Parking Restrictions

Offline andrew

• addict
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 11:45:05 pm »
One of the points I was trying to make, scanning is not that difficult, if a little time consuming. I can access very big scanners for free. It is what you do with it afterward, anyone willing to help should be encouraged, I applaud your effort. You could put digitised media on a service like dropbox, but unless the individual maintains it, at some point it will disappear,I've had commercial services give very short notice of there immanent demise.The archive is run by the national body that has systems to keep the data.

As for secret data, I make all my data available with various open licences, but that does not make all private data bad. Two examples spring to mind. The data behind a survey, where the survey is available, or the text behind a guide book, with conditions it remains private until the survey or books are sold out. There are many others, like the law of the country, the false dichotomy position is easy to take and forums tend lead to it, but in the end the real world is far more complex,

Offline jbaer

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 10:00:18 am »

Copyright law is a right pain sometimes but it's important to stick within it because it can bite back.

Or according to a caver in Wales "The copyright laws do not exist in Cwmparc".

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 12:06:39 pm »
One of the points I was trying to make, scanning is not that difficult, if a little time consuming. I can access very big scanners for free. It is what you do with it afterward, anyone willing to help should be encouraged, I applaud your effort. You could put digitised media on a service like dropbox, but unless the individual maintains it, at some point it will disappear,I've had commercial services give very short notice of there immanent demise.The archive is run by the national body that has systems to keep the data.

It feels like your making a moot point, as if I was somehow unaware that things would need safely storing afterwards. Not just gunna put it on a memory stick and throw it in a river, rest assured? You're right, its not very time consuming (thousand scans an hour if they're in good nick) but nobody seems to be doing it and it's very frustrating - at the moment, a wayward building fire could wipe out a lot of peoples work. If you can access big scanners for free, perhaps you would like to volunteer?

As for secret data, I make all my data available with various open licences, but that does not make all private data bad. Two examples spring to mind. The data behind a survey, where the survey is available, or the text behind a guide book, with conditions it remains private until the survey or books are sold out. There are many others, like the law of the country, the false dichotomy position is easy to take and forums tend lead to it, but in the end the real world is far more complex,

Never said private data is bad. I just said its worthless unless someone can read it (it might as well not exist at all). The text to a guide book is eminently worthless until you print it out and sell it. Etc.
My main point is that I won't work for free on material which is hidden, secreted etc. The real world might be complex but I am not.

Online Ian Ball

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 12:48:12 pm »

If you can access big scanners for free, perhaps you would like to volunteer?

I'll volunteer, I'll pm you details.

Offline andrew

• addict
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 04:23:53 pm »

It feels like your making a moot point, as if I was somehow unaware that things would need safely storing afterwards

If you can access big scanners for free, perhaps you would like to volunteer

Believe me lots of people have done things like this and just left them on a memory stick, or equivelant

I have already utilised the scanning quite a bit and I've already volunteered to do more for the caving community than I can keep up with,  but can probably help, however, Ian looks like he has stepped up to the plate.

Offline 2xw

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 11:21:19 am »

It feels like your making a moot point, as if I was somehow unaware that things would need safely storing afterwards

If you can access big scanners for free, perhaps you would like to volunteer

Believe me lots of people have done things like this and just left them on a memory stick, or equivelant

I have already utilised the scanning quite a bit and I've already volunteered to do more for the caving community than I can keep up with,  but can probably help, however, Ian looks like he has stepped up to the plate.

Fair enough! I guess if you've been around a while, it can be frustrating to see stuff not stored centrally. May I PM you about uploading to the repository?

Offline andrew

• addict
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 12:05:09 pm »
May I PM you about uploading to the repository?

Yep, or the email address on http://cave-registry.org.uk