Author Topic: Photography Showcase 3 per week limit  (Read 20132 times)

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
Re: Photography Showcase 3 per week limit
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2019, 07:49:12 pm »
Nice picture, BE . . . . I guess it's Dolly Tubs looking out to Alum Pot?

Offline TheBitterEnd

• forum hero
  • KCC
    • KCC - Join an active club
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2019, 09:40:43 pm »
Nice picture, BE . . . . I guess it's Dolly Tubs looking out to Alum Pot?
That's the one, Alec "on-sight" rigging, he's never done the alternative before.
'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.' — Mark Twain

Online chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2019, 01:02:06 pm »
The Dudley Caving Club Christmas Trip.

I'm pretty sure we must have been bad this year to get the Aggy trip Santa gave us.
A lot of fun with a great bunch of people, but Coal Cellar passage was brutal....perhaps a few less mince pies next time!  :chair:

Offline AdrianTurner

• regular
  • YUCPC, YCC, NPC
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2020, 11:04:55 pm »
With a brand new Olympus TG-6 to play with, a couple of semi-willing mugs, and a trip down Notts 2, I'm quite happy with how these turned out! The first was taken handheld in the handheld starlight mode, the main light source being a Fenix HL-55 off to the right of the camera, and back lit by a Fenix HP-12. In post, I've just increased the exposure compensation slightly and cropped it. The second shot was also handheld in the super close-up mode and zoomed in to the max, side lit with a Fenix HP-65R. In post I've just increased the local contrast slightly to make it stand out from the background a bit more. I'm very impressed by how easy it was to get decent images out of this camera without putting in too much effort.

Offline christine

• menacing presence
    • WetWellies Caving
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2020, 10:01:41 pm »
So, the plan was to head somewhere warm, clear and shallow and spend hours and hours learning how top use my DSLR and Ikelite underwater housing, pus 3 strobes and two video lights.

I got variable results, a dead strobe and a dead video light!  :annoyed:

I'm on a steep, expensive and VERY frustrating learning curve.
If you think cave photography is hard, all I can tell you is don't even think about trying it underwater!

These are the best I could do on our recent pre-Xmas holiday to the Yucatan.

I'd love to know which one you prefer (1,2 or 3?)

For the blog report: https://www.wetwelliescaving.com/post/magical-mexico

1: Cenote Minotauro

Mexico 2019 by Christine Grosart, on Flickr

2: Cenote Nahoch

Mexico 2019
by Christine Grosart, on Flickr

3: Cenote Regina

Mexico 2019. Images: Copyright Christine Grosart by Christine Grosart, on Flickr

Offline ObviousSpectre

• player
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2020, 10:09:29 pm »
All three are cracking photos  :clap2:

Although I think that the third one is my favourite, love the lighting and the stals in the foreground.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:35:45 pm by ObviousSpectre »

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2020, 10:19:25 pm »
As said above, some cracking photos !

I like no. 2 with the bubbles.

Keep them coming!
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline christine

• menacing presence
    • WetWellies Caving
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2020, 11:34:37 am »
Thank you guys  :-[

Always interesting to hear other people's perspectives.

The first image is probably the most technically correct (and maybe the least interesting?). It needed much less post processing work than the others.

No 2 is marmite. Some folk hate bubbles anywhere in the shot - some love them (so long as they are not all over the divers face, coming out of his arse etc). Personally I love the bubbles especially if they are backlit and sparkly and well timed. Rich is very good at synching his breathing to my strobe cycles  :ang:

Someone pointed out that the diver should have been next to the formations looking at them, rather than in front. Bit late now... :shrug:

No 3 was taken with the help of an excellent cave photographer called Marissa Eckert (Hidden Worlds Diving, check out her images on FB). Her partner dutifully runs around placing strobes all over the cave so I took full advantage of the extra light.

Unfortunately you can see them all in the image! Even photoshop can't fix that  :down:

Not that great a composure and James wasn't meant to be in the image!

I'm hoping to put a set together for Hidden Earth and not sure if these are good enough.

Shame.

Will have to go back... :bounce:

Offline christine

• menacing presence
    • WetWellies Caving
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2020, 01:38:27 pm »
Just came across this image of the same place as my photo no.3 in Regina.

This one is taken by another lady photographer, Korean Su Eun Kim. She drags her husband all over the world taking cave photos.
She's about 4 feet high, wears a rebreather that weighs more than her and she is seriously talented.
She throws A LOT of light at her images and I suspect her camera and lenses are not cheap either.
Anyway, a different perspectoive of the same spot.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10162952141125224&set=pcb.10162952142385224&type=3&theater

Offline Martin Wright

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2020, 10:04:18 am »
I think I would go for number 3. Incidentally, I prefer your number 3 to the Korean photographer's picture of the same place. The divers are in sharper focus, I like the stal in the foreground which has kept its true colour and not been burned out, and the picture somehow captures the three-dimensional aspect of that particular dive with the depth behind the divers. All nice shots, though.

One minor point - shouldn't the caption for number 2 be "Nohoch" rather than "Nahoch" if, as I suspect, it is from Nohoch Nah Chich?
The deepest solace lies in understanding this ancient unseen stream

Offline christine

• menacing presence
    • WetWellies Caving
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2020, 02:36:17 am »

One minor point - shouldn't the caption for number 2 be "Nohoch" rather than "Nahoch" if, as I suspect, it is from Nohoch Nah Chich?

Very probably. Most of the dives blurred into one and the spellings of most places were variable. We didn't go in the usual 'touristy' entrance but I suspect your spelling is correct.

We dived a cenote called Aktun Ha which is also known as Regina...
Tomato Tomato....

Online The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2020, 01:14:25 pm »
Apprentice in training.

P1140005 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Youth and Age.

P1140038 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

If it aint fun. It aint worth doing.

Offline DaveWatts

• davewattsphotography
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2020, 09:11:01 am »
The famous Manor farm curtain, taken last week on Mendip

Online The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2020, 09:18:02 am »
Thanks for posting Dave. I must admit that I was very angry when I saw your photo. The damage to this wonderful curtain is inexcusable. Here is mine taken at the time of the curtain's discovery. Can folk see a difference ?

manor farm by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2020, 06:56:28 pm »
Can folk see a difference ?

Yes indeed :(

... but not having been to Manor Farm for over 40 years, what about the difference in colour?  Is it solely due to the lighting used for the photos, or has it changed from snowy white over that time?

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2020, 07:50:02 pm »
Dave's photo is by transmitted rather than reflected light?
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Online The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2020, 09:40:45 am »
Dave's image was a composite image and as stated the lighting is totally different. Mine was the old fashioned way with bulb flash. Originally a slide mine has been copied by a scanner and reprocessed so there tends to be a loss of colour in that process. I was told that a clumsy caver dislodged a rock which rolled into the curtain and smashed the end off. When this happened I do not know. To see an iconic Mendip cave feature broken this way leaves me little hope that we are capable of preserving our heritage.

Online The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2020, 08:11:13 pm »
Withyhill.

P1190008 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

P1190007 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Online chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2020, 02:14:50 pm »
A sneak peak of Mulu 2020. This shot of Tim Allen and Chris Haigh in Monolith Passage, Cobweb Cave, en route to where Mark Sims would bolt the teams route to discover virgin cave.

Online chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2020, 08:46:27 am »
Ben stands at the end of 'Monolith Passage' Looking out at Chris in 'The Elephant Warren' Whilst Toby de-rigs the bolt traverse toward Mark who is stood in the newly discovered passage high above the floor of the chamber. A discovery which would link in with 'Just a mile' passage and yield the first new discoveries of the expedition.

Full resolution of the shot can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/markburkey/49464626548/in/dateposted/

Online The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2020, 09:22:30 am »
Often when I take a warden lead trip I like to get a few rushed images for my group and incorporate a conservation exercise. A few years ago I noticed that bats had been roosting in Icing Flake Chamber in Withyhill and bat droppings were spoiling The Icing Flakes. So as there are rarely any trips to that part of Withyhill here are some photos of the trip. Ultimately I found the hand spray most useful and fair results were obtained. Peter Glanvill's battery sprayer would complete the job whilst the area is so wet. The Icing Flakes themselves can only be properly appreciated when the basins themselves are dry. There were no bats in residence on this occasion.

Icing Flake Chamber. The basins are on top of the bank to the left. Olympus TG 4, Double Yongnuo slave guns and Skyray spot. The background slave gun was perched on a rock but cloned out from the image. An awkward subject to do in a rush.

P1190058 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Bat poo before cleaning.

P1190052 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

The two Icing Flake basins after cleaning. My paintbrush bottom right.

P1190044 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Online chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2020, 01:26:08 pm »
At the far end of Sakai Cave behind Tim lies a draughting unexplored boulder slope which would lead to a huge boulder strewn chamber and tantalising bolt climb.

Offline JoshW

• stalker
  • WSCC, YSS
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2020, 04:55:41 am »
Some of mine from the recent Laos expedition. More on my Instagram @joshwhite992

Online The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2020, 07:09:58 pm »
I was never sure that when this thread was started as a " Showcase " it was meant to show the very best work of talented cave photographers or mere snappings of the less talented folk like myself. For the moment I have assumed that it is open to the work of all cave photographers. Even those most humble. Clearly folk like me can never aspire to show the great images posted by our friend " Chunky ". Many of these from far away places folk on a pension could never afford to visit. I rather think "Chunky" is a tad more assiduous in the creation of his images than me. Just chucking a couple of slave fired Yonguos on a rock and hoping for the best might not feature in such great works. But. I say but. Does that mean we " Happy Snappers " ( a Mr.O'Doc term ) have no place on such an esteemed thread? Ah maybe not. I visited the National Gallery in London this weekend and gazed in awe at the work of the great masters. The work and skill of painters like Constable and Van Gough. Few could match that today. Art is art. Photography is art. Are artists like Banksy and Da Vinci any different in their concept of what art should be? Have both the same talent? A photograph is only an amalgamation of two basic things. One is composition and to me, that is the most important. With some, it is the innate understanding of what looks   " right ". There are rules but they are there to be broken. If we followed those rules all photos would look the same. So when composing an image lets first look at doing it differently. Somewhere on Google Image will be the image that you are about to compose. Then let there be light. That will make or break the composition. If there be a third element it is time. How long you want to be involved in the composition. The big question too. Does your image tell a story? Now that might well be the crux of the matter regarding this thread. Do you want to see photographic masterpieces that the word " Showcase " implies? Will you settle for " less " but be able to relate more to the "moment " or the story that the image imparts. Again my personal view is that we all can tell a story, capture a moment on film that might be unrepeatable. We can appreciate the great skill that " Chunky " posesses but we should not be put off by it. We should not feel that we can never be as good as that and in some way we are parading our lack of skills by daring to contribute. No Banksy is not Da Vinci. Turner is not Van Gough. ( I just had to see The Fighting Temeraire yesterday.) One more element then. Lets have fun. Let's have a laugh. In doing so let's look at characters and see them as such rather than as models. Lets see something of the personality hidden below the caving helmet. Cavers are people after all.
So what is gained by this ramble? Well, something I have said for years on this forum. It is the least illustrated of all my hobby forums. Caving photography is inexpensive and one of the rare types of art whereby you control everything. The composition, the light and usually the model though I really hate asking people to pose. Ultimately if you have any agreement with this let's see some proof of it. Let's see lots more images. They might not be technically brilliant but they may excel in other areas. That hardly makes them less relevant, does it?

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2020, 08:15:10 pm »
I was never sure that when this thread was started as a " Showcase " it was meant to show the very best work of talented cave photographers or mere snappings of the less talented folk like myself. ......

Too modest, OR.  The forum is replete with examples of your talents.  The talent is in spotting the picture, then capturing it - to do that with limited kit, in limited time, needs more skill, not less.