ORGANISATIONS > SCOUT CAVING

Caving Helmets

(1/8) > >>

phizz4:
One for the Scout Cave Leaders please. Our County (Staffordshire) caving helmets are mostly Petzl Ecrin Roc. They are 10 years old. If we follow Scout advice on retiring equipment, we should follow the manufacturers recommendations, which for Petzl helmets is 10 years. So, should we do the right thing and junk them all (14 of them) and buy new Petzl Boreo (the closest to Ecrins for robustness I believe). There's nothing wrong with the Ecrins (a bit sweaty smelly) but.....? Thoughts please.

I've also attached a useful document listing manufacturers equipment lifespan which may be useful to some of you.

christopher:
Don't scrap them, old school Petzl Ecrin helmets go for a bomb on flea bay, jut have a look, RAT's seem to find them very desirable,   If you sold them you could probably cover the cost of the new helmets

aricooperdavis:
Or keep using them? The manufacturers recommendations are for climbing, and for the most part cavers helmets are to protect you when you knock your head on the ceiling. Granted, you may occasionally find yourself taking a big fall onto your head, or fending off falling debris from above, but it's not often! I think that the use case is different enough to invalidate the manufacturers recommended replacement age.

Since you're in a position of responsibility for other people's welfare I guess you can't take a risk, but many others would simply keep on using them.

rhychydwr1:
My helmet is 60 years old and still going strong.  I did painted when new.  Something I am sure is not recommended today.

Ian P:

--- Quote from: phizz4 on October 09, 2019, 07:30:28 pm ---If we follow Scout advice on retiring equipment, we should follow the manufacturers recommendations, which for Petzl helmets is 10 years. So,

--- End quote ---

As well as the Scout Association advice to follow manufacturers recommendations, I would expect any other “official” advice (from a technical advisor etc) to be the same. (That would be my “official” advice)

However “Fit for purpose” is a common term in a-lot of circumstances. ??

If you decide to change the helmets, a lot of centres are using Petzl Pangas. One size fits all. (The Boreos are sized)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version