Author Topic: Looking for a Draenen survey  (Read 4332 times)

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
Re: Looking for a Draenen survey
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 07:29:28 am »
But it's all based off point clouds, which are mega tonnes of data, and therefore difficult to share and collaborate meaningfully online.

the slice, as stuart says doesn't take into account what you might want to add in your sketch, it would rely on you drawing this in a notepad and laboriously transferring the data once you are back at home. Imagine you've got a hading rift (sloping rift), with the main route skirting through the rift at the bottom, but a rope going up the rift. how would you denote the rope when you're just using a 3d point cloud. the same point can be made for steps in the passage, water, sumps, flowstone, a change in the floor type from sand to bedrock, etc.
 all of this is captured in a good standard cave survey, the 3d point clouds are good but don't really cut it IMO.

Offline andrewmc

• BCA ind. rep.
  • junky
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS, SWCC...
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2020, 07:49:03 am »
On the other hand the LIDAR could be used to assist the drawing at the time of surveying. Basically, take a shedload of splays at each station and the system automatically filters them to draw only their tips as points, and only show the points with the greatest horizontal extent (for the plan). You could still add manual splays, and the 'floor' (i.e. the lowest splays at each point) could be shaded in grayscale. Then draw your lines as before... You might need some live options e.g. switch between shaded floor and ceiling, or rather than draw maximum extent draw a slice at a certain angle.

Cross-sections would be easier and better than current systems. Just draw a line on the survey and the sliced points appear. Join the dots :)

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots is fun
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2020, 09:17:33 am »
But it's all based off point clouds, which are mega tonnes of data, and therefore difficult to share and collaborate meaningfully online.
I quote from http://caveatron.com/

CAVE SURVEY TOOL - Records standard cave survey measurements (distance, azimuth, and inclination) in a single 3 second reading with station name entry.

The 3D data is seperate.

Offline Andy Walsh

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2020, 07:26:18 pm »
Hi i,ve got a OGOF DRAENEN SURVEY SEPT 1997-NORTH,CENTRAL AND SOUTHit is huge!!needs ironing sorry. grade 5 1inch to 75meters approx51k on survey +only one entrance but v good detail you could probably work out what's not on :thumbsup
PLEASE send an address i can send it to neighbour/yours/postoffice/shop /chamber of secrets
I hope you enjoy esp if you find stuff +makes finding way round
i will put a SAE if you can send some stamps to cover post
cheers andy

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2020, 11:13:41 pm »
Andy, for entrances, try central top left (and top right should have a couple too). Purely guessing from the lay of the land of course.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2020, 12:10:51 am »
I must be going daft(er)

I just read this thread as 'Draconian Survey'

Now where's that emergency bottle of Port?
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search