Author Topic: Best Cave For Zombie Apocalypse?  (Read 1428 times)

Online thehungrytroglobite

• regular
  • UNCC - SRT Union - BAACA
Best Cave For Zombie Apocalypse?
« on: April 01, 2021, 09:42:38 pm »
What would be the best cave to shelter in during the zombie apocalypse?
full of whimsical ideas

Online wellyjen

• addict
Re: Best Cave For Zombie Apocalypse?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 10:07:21 pm »
A good question. The end may be in sight for COVID-19, so we are probably due for the ZOMBIE-21 outbreak to start.

Braaaaiiiinnnnns
Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me.
CCPC

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 11:16:44 pm »
Winnats Head. It's useful for so many things.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 07:49:08 am »
I would go to Rhosydd Slate Quarry. There are some parts of that which most people miss, and there is one part that I am pretty sure we are the only modern explorers to have accessed.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:24:11 am »
You could fit the entire British caving population in Draenan, socially distanced.

Or, with enough scaffold, probably GG

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:26 am »
You could fit the entire British caving population in Draenan, socially distanced.

Is this confirmed by the survey?

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 12:42:09 pm »
I would go to Rhosydd Slate Quarry. There are some parts of that which most people miss, and there is one part that I am pretty sure we are the only modern explorers to have accessed.

Chris.

Bother!  I might have to find new hiding places?

A good question. The end may be in sight for COVID-19, so we are probably due for the ZOMBIE-21 outbreak to start.

Braaaaiiiinnnnns
Just like at the start of Covid, all the loo roll sold out, to prepare for Zombie-21 *now* is the time to start stocking up on felling axes. I imagine they'll sell out pretty quick once the apocalypse gets underway.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:07:36 pm by Cantclimbtom »
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:51:32 pm »

Chris.

Bother!  I might have to find new hiding places?

:lol:  Not a problem. You definitely would not be in the part I would be in!

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online JoshW

• forum star
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 01:31:58 pm »
What kinda zombies are we talking here, what level of mobility do they have? If fairly low then anything with a reasonable climb or need for co-ordination would do the job
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 03:58:02 pm »
I can't see them figuring out how to put a harness and SRT kit on, what with their attention-spans and lack of patience and all that. They always seem pretty stressed-out if I'm truthful. But could they chew through the rope? Hmm - Mark Wright will know.

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 05:10:31 pm »
They’ll happily throw themselves down a pitch I guess, no danger of death
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 05:13:24 pm »
We are already overrun with Zombies!
Bloody phones
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Online wellyjen

• addict
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 08:02:29 pm »
Boris will want to depend on herd immunity again. Once everyone is a zombie, the R0 rate will drop right down. Problem solved!
Hiding out at the top of an aven and pulling the rope up after you is probably the best approach. Zombies can fall down pitches and still crawl after you on their broken limbs, but won't be able to climb up anything technical. 
CCPC

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 08:08:33 pm »
but won't be able to climb up anything technical

Some of us can ....  :o   :-\   

Offline Wardy

• addict
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 08:44:05 pm »
Draenen would work as its pretty unlikely anyone visiting this planet could figure out the way in.

Which entrances are actually entrances
Which entrances are no longer entrances
Which non entrances could actually be entrances
Who controls access to the entrances, ex entrances and non entrances that could be entrances.

I am pretty sure visitors would just give up and leave, but unfortunately only a small number of us would have figured out how to take refuge there, so it may not be that great a solution.
Maybe they could help us unravel it all?

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 09:11:03 pm »
Milwr tunnel.
Plenty of space to loose zombie's

• regular
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 09:34:44 pm »
Winnats Head. It's useful for so many things.

Problem with Winnat's Head is that you can walk into it, so zombies could get into the cave. I suppose they might have trouble finding their way through the boulder choke, but also could destabilise it and cause a collapse...
full of whimsical ideas

• regular
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 09:36:39 pm »
What kinda zombies are we talking here, what level of mobility do they have? If fairly low then anything with a reasonable climb or need for co-ordination would do the job

I posted this question whilst watching Shaun of the Dead, so those sorts of zombies I suppose. Looking for the cave version of the Winchester
full of whimsical ideas

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 09:38:10 pm »
Milwr tunnel.
Plenty of space to loose zombie's

But there's no access to the Milwr...  :-\  :lol: :lol:

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 09:40:14 pm »
I suppose it depends what sort of zombies.  Are we talking about the ambling Shaun of the Dead and Cockneys vs. Zombies types or the more fast and agile World War Z type?  I guess would definitely need another exit or the cave could be re-defined as a 'larder'.

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 09:42:31 pm »

I posted this question whilst watching Shaun of the Dead, so those sorts of zombies I suppose. Looking for the cave version of the Winchester

They're pretty wank zombies to be honest, no speed, no athleticism, no co-ordination.

Somewhere like Toyland in Valley Entrance is a good'un for me. You'd move faster than the SOTD zombies through the crawls towards it, and be able to climb quick enough to pull the ropes away from them and leave them unable to get up after you. Of course you're absolutely fooked if they do manage to climb up after you with no escape route.

• regular
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 09:44:05 pm »
All of these are good suggestions, but lacking in one factor - sunlight. Surely we'd still need to access sunlight occasionally or we'd all turn into Gollum.

I'm thinking the cave needs to fit these criteria:
- Water supply
- At least part of it pretty much never floods, so we have somewhere safe and dry to stay
- Ideally not a walk in entrance, unless gated perhaps. If zombies fell down a pothole at least we'd have more of a chance to bash their heads in one by one.
- Either a gated entrance or covered pothole might add extra protection (against my usual opinion but there we go).
- Doesn't have multiple / more than 2 entrances - something like Easegill would have the problem where even though the bottom of Lancs could be a good place, the zombies might find their way in via wretched rabbit.

Any ideas for caves that fit this description?
full of whimsical ideas

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 09:46:35 pm »
All of these are good suggestions, but lacking in one factor - sunlight. Surely we'd still need to access sunlight occasionally or we'd all turn into Gollum.

How long are you expecting to have to wait for it to all blow over?

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 09:51:24 pm »
What about Hunter's Lodge, if a connection could be made to the nearby cellar? Would solve the 'Winchester' scenario.

Zombies will keep coming though, and pile up until they've filled the hole or got to the top of the aven.

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 09:53:32 pm »

Zombies will keep coming though, and pile up until they've filled the hole or got to the top of the aven.

SOTD zombies didn't pile up when they were outside the open window of the winchester to try and get in, they just pushed into each other. They really were terrible zombies.

What you really want is to be at the top of a dry pitch but the passage underneath periodically floods to wipe out and zombies that have gathered.

• regular
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 10:19:32 pm »
Suppose you could always eat said Zombies as sustenance, then you wouldn't need to go back to the surface to stock up on supplies.

There's a question: If a zombie bites me, I turn into one, but what happens if I bite a zombie?

Not sure how long the zombie apocalypse will last, as long as Covid-19 perhaps? Or until we can all get vaccinated with the Astrazombieca or Pfizombier vaccines.
full of whimsical ideas

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:28 pm »
For something local to me, I'd go for Middleton stone mine - if the zombies follow you, just lure them to the big pit and make sure they fell in, or arm yourself and lie in wait at the main fault - give me a chainsaw and call me Derek...
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 11:07:38 pm »
The 'walk-in' entrance passage to Winnats Head is just visible to the left of the orange Peli case, looking toward the exit, before we shoved them across to block it from the zombies. And how, you may ask, did we manage to drag in 2m-high Peli cases? I know the secret entrance ;)

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 11:08:21 pm »
Probably not the best idea to go around biting zombies as a general habit.  Probably taste like chicken.
Tins of beans and tuna seem to last for ever.
However, the most important question is what happens when the beer runs out in the refuge / bunker / pub / cave?  Now that's proper scary.

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 11:59:03 pm »
Suppose you could always eat said Zombies as sustenance, then you wouldn't need to go back to the surface to stock up on supplies. 

On the basis that zombies are just reanimated corpses, they're ultimately just moving rotting flesh, I'd avoid eating it.

There's a question: If a zombie bites me, I turn into one, but what happens if I bite a zombie?

Is that you as a zombie biting a zombie or as a human?

I would hazard a guess that as dead things they possibly don't feel pain, and so might not even notice you biting a chunk out of them.

A zombie biting a zombie I guess would be the same. Isn't the usual theory that it's some sort of virus that transmits by biting, causing reanimation a short time after death. If you're already dead then no reanimation could occur.

I will refer back to my original point that zombies are basically big lumps of rotting flesh, and I'd advise to stay away.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:39 am »
I suppose the underlying question is has thehungrytroglobite actually been bitten by a zombie and is now doing a bit of market research.

• regular
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 01:17:38 pm »
I was thinking of biting a zombie as a human. If reanimation occurs as a result of virus transmission, then I guess biting a zombie might also turn me into one so I better avoid that.

The running out of alcohol question is a serious dilemma. I guess we'll just have to start storing spirits or brewing equipment in caves now so that we're prepared in advance.
full of whimsical ideas

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 04:31:09 pm »
I was thinking of biting a zombie as a human. If reanimation occurs as a result of virus transmission, then I guess biting a zombie might also turn me into one so I better avoid that.

I presume that the virus transmission only occurs if it can go straight into your blood stream. Using Shaun of the dead as an example, he regularly touches the zombies but doesn't 'turn'.

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2021, 08:07:21 pm »
I don't know a lot about Zombies - can they swim?

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2021, 10:44:01 pm »
I don't know a lot about Zombies - can they swim?

Chris.

I considered this, and considered sumps etc, but realised they can’t drown, so theoretically it’s irrelevant if they can swim or not

Offline ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 08:02:34 am »
I considered this, and considered sumps etc, but realised they can’t drown, so theoretically it’s irrelevant if they can swim or not

I was thinking of some of the underground lakes in Rhosydd.

So the Zombies would sink to the bottom, walk along the bottom, and then climb up the other side. Are they good climbers?

Chris.
--
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online wellyjen

• addict
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 08:53:32 am »
Presumably the zombieism causing pathogen can be destroyed by high temperatures, so cooking should do the trick, as well as making eating zombies a bit tastier. Once you've dispatched a zombie, cut off any obvious mould, or fungus, then roast till the juices run clear.
How you are going to do this in a cave I don't know.
CCPC

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 11:06:48 am »
Once you've dispatched a zombie, cut off any obvious mould, or fungus, then roast till the juices run clear.

Can't wait to see that in the Masterchef inventions test.  I suppose you could also make zombie goujons as they'd take less cooking.

Zombies would sink to the bottom, walk along the bottom

I think the issue could be the sheer volume of them.  They'd start to pile up at the obstacle (e.g. river bank) and create a sort of undead organic ramp and those towards the rear will then be able to amble up it.

Online JoshW

• forum star
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 11:10:50 am »
Once you've dispatched a zombie, cut off any obvious mould, or fungus, then roast till the juices run clear.

Can't wait to see that in the Masterchef inventions test.  I suppose you could also make zombie goujons as they'd take less cooking.

Or Zombie Jerky and just smoke it dry

Zombies would sink to the bottom, walk along the bottom

I think the issue could be the sheer volume of them.  They'd start to pile up at the obstacle (e.g. river bank) and create a sort of undead organic ramp and those towards the rear will then be able to amble up it.

I was more imagining them just flopping around on the surface, and by sheer volume, eventually some would work their way to the far side.

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2021, 11:26:30 am »
I always thought of that big chamber in New Rift pot as a fantastic place to re-build society as it's so large, near a water source. I imagined a little tin covered huts built on top of each other for housing in the basically naturally climate controlled chamber, uv lighting in the lower tunnels to grow food, powered by flowing water in the stream ways and the one coming down rift.

A giant spiralling stair case leading ascends to this passage, where a newly blasted walking passage grants access to the surface, with a trench dug underneath for the aforementioned stream.

However, I had not considered this in the vain of a zombie apocalypse. It's possible they could find their way into Low Duke cavern, though that could easily be blocked. One would also need to build a better defence in the New Rift entrance, you simply can't block it as you would need to exit to forage for food and other necessities. Perhaps that hole in the entrance could be filled with spikes at the bottom to "catch" the zombies, humans pass using traverse lines. I don't think we would have to worry about the Ireby Fell connection as no creature living or dead would ever attempt it.

The above would need a lot of time to pre-plan. If it was a sudden occurrence and I was on my own or a few others, I would probably retreat to the local stone mines (Scout Mine). Full of steal bars in all the entrances it is well defended. Only one open gate that could be re-locked. Plenty of space and rubbish that could be made into something useful. It's also near enough to human civilisation for supply runs, but well hidden. Only issue is, a lot of it's bloody cold in winter, with ice forming on the inside, though there are a few warm bits. The second problem is the tenancy for the place to collapse! Still if I had to leave home in a hurry then that would be where I would head if the zombies come knocking.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:36:42 am by Alex »
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2021, 04:20:16 pm »
In non-pandemic times, there's usually a zombie incursion most Mondays in Bakewell...

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2021, 11:13:56 pm »
Zombie Jerky
As well as the protein element a more balanced diet would be needed for longer term post apocalyptic survival.  Some carbs and fibre would be required, as well as things containing antioxidants and to aid digestion.  So some fava beans and a nice chianti would seem appropriate.

• regular
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2021, 11:38:43 pm »
Zombie Jerky
As well as the protein element a more balanced diet would be needed for longer term post apocalyptic survival.  Some carbs and fibre would be required, as well as things containing antioxidants and to aid digestion.  So some fava beans and a nice chianti would seem appropriate.

Bold of ZombieCake to advocate for non zombie-related foods
full of whimsical ideas

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2021, 01:02:11 am »
Vegetarian option could be a bit tricky.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 07:10:00 pm »
Haynes (the car workshop manual people) have produced a workshop manual guide for dealing with a zombie apocalypse.  Has a few interesting tips and pointers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Survival-Manual-surviving-Apocalypse/dp/0857334735/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1E5JHOUL3G73X&dchild=1&keywords=haynes+zombie+survival+manual&qid=1617732419&sprefix=haynes+zombie%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 11:13:07 pm »
Vegetarian option could be a bit tricky.

Well they've had plenty of opportunity to change their ways, so tough. Let them eat cake. ZombieCake.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 10:17:29 am »
Let them eat cake. ZombieCake

Oh dear, I'd better go and hide then.  Is there a cave that's human proof ....  :lol:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2021, 11:28:32 am »
Don't worry, they'll be far too tired by the time they get there and will just sit down and play guitars and sing the blues instead ;)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2021, 11:40:39 am »
Don't worry, they'll be far too tired by the time they get there and will just sit down and play guitars and sing the blues instead ;)

What, are we expecting an incursion of the Grateful Dead? :lol:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS

Offline owd git

• forum hero
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 08:03:58 am »

What, are we expecting an incursion of the Grateful Dead? :lol:

No; The grateful Un-dead. Soz' Adam.
Hen racer? 2000 world hen racing champion

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 08:37:33 am »
Could well be the ungrateful undead for all we know....

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2021, 01:30:19 am »
Given lockdown is ending and according to the press the zombie hordes are about to be released I found this little documentary, if a little artistic, set to a cheerful ditty on how to deal with the problem.

YouTube seems to be playing up - argh!  Look for Amaranthe Boom.

Was going to delete post as it's nicer to have the embedded vid for effect but that's not an option either.  I'll get me coat.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 12:07:13 pm »
Probably stuck in Google, rather than YouTube:

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal