TECHNICAL FORUMS > Equipment

cowstails

(1/4) > >>

ian mckenzie:
Question: which is most popular - using your long cowstail as your upper jammer safety, or keeping your safety and cowstails separate?

George North:
Separate cowstails/safety cord is definitely the prefered setup in Yorkshire. I can't really imagine why anybody would combine them for the sake of 2 feet of rope. Do they javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused

George North:
Separate cowstails/safety cord is definitely the prefered setup in Yorkshire. I can't really imagine why anybody would combine them for the sake of 2 feet of rope. Do they  :?  (That's better)

Rachel:
'scuse me for sounding thick, but if your hand jammer is on the end of your long cowstail, how on earth do you go about clipping in when you get to the top of the pitch? I suppose if your short cowstail was long (contradiction there!) it'd do the job, but otherwise you'd have to take one jammer off the rope - not for me, thanks.

Rach
(who likes to be attached by both jammers, cowstails and teeth)

Neil B:

--- Quote from: "Rachel" ---'scuse me for sounding thick, but if your hand jammer is on the end of your long cowstail, how on earth do you go about clipping in when you get to the top of the pitch? I suppose if your short cowstail was long (contradiction there!) it'd do the job, but otherwise you'd have to take one jammer off the rope - not for me, thanks.
--- End quote ---

I could be wrong, but I imagine he'll have a krab on the end of his long cowstail as per usual, and he'll just unclip it from his hand-jammer when he's near the top of the pitch so he can clip in, still leaving the hand-jammer on the rope. Personally, I prefer the luxury of having the permanent safety connection - at least if it's permanently attached to your person, then there's no risk of having to abseil back down the pitch, to retrieve the hand jammer you inadvertently dropped from the top of the pitch!

Has anyone ever tried using cowstails made from purpose-made webbing as opposed to rope, a lot of French cavers use them? They're supposedly longer lasting and generally more hard wearing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version