Author Topic: CHECC Covid Newsletter  (Read 794 times)

Offline Maddoghouse

• regular
  • CHECCretary living in excile..!
CHECC Covid Newsletter
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:24:41 pm »
Here it is, it is here – the CHECC Coronavirus Newsletter!

We have had several great submissions on a variety of entertaining cave related topics! A perfect read for some additional underground inspiration as we enter a post-lockdown world! A massive thanks to all those who submitted an article.

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as we did putting it together!!!

Cheers,
Jacob
(CHECCretary)

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
Re: CHECC Covid Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:07 am »
Logo looks really good, oodles of content, and a lot of work has gone into this...kudos.

You can see evidence of the caving community everywhere: from the hours of volunteer conservation work, to the cavers who haven’t been underground in years chatting on UKC, to the guys at CHECC getting up at 5am to cook a massive breakfast for hungover students. All of these speak to a deep love of caving and cavers within the UK scene.

...however looks like we have an image problem  :'(

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
Genuinely a fantastic newsletter that made me laugh out loud in several places. A great vision of the strength of the student caving scene and an ode to quality shitposting - and yet also cited Aristotle. What's not to love.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:08:00 pm by 2xw »

Offline EFRESHW

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 03:59:16 pm »
It's so cool to see this, I really loved the obvious hard work and effort that went into it. thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to write a piece, too!  :hug:  feeling ~blessed~

Offline JoshW

• forum star
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:15:48 pm »
That's absolutely superb guys.

Great content in a great format.

Logo looks really good, oodles of content, and a lot of work has gone into this...kudos.

You can see evidence of the caving community everywhere: from the hours of volunteer conservation work, to the cavers who haven’t been underground in years chatting on UKC, to the guys at CHECC getting up at 5am to cook a massive breakfast for hungover students. All of these speak to a deep love of caving and cavers within the UK scene.

...however looks like we have an image problem  :'(

I actually read this in a positive spin (whether it was meant it or not), that people who join the caving community never really leave it even long after they've stopped caving..
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 05:46:32 pm »
It's so cool to see this, I really loved the obvious hard work and effort that went into it. thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to write a piece, too!  :hug:  feeling ~blessed~

Really enjoyed reading your piece.  Alum is a great place for all sorts of reasons  :thumbsup:

Offline Speleofish

• stalker
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 06:08:29 pm »
Good effort everyone!

Offline Maddoghouse

• regular
  • CHECCretary living in excile..!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:54 pm »
Great to hear people are enjoying reading it!

Once again, a massive thanks to those that contributed that made making the newsletter possible!
On a personal level, a huge thanks to the rest of the CHECC committee for their support and patience while compiling this :)

Offline Caver Keith

• Keith Edwards
  • forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 10:29:54 am »
A jolly good read and I get a mention too! It's in the Armchair Caving section but nevertheless it is a mention. Thanks.
Keith

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 11:06:14 am »
A fascinating read, lots of excellent stuff there.   :)

One question: in the "Armchair Caving" section (that's me, these days :( ) there's a question about the minminum (= minimum?) rope length for a Petzl Stop.  Answers at the bottom:  8.5-9 mm.  That's a bit short, surely?  Less than 1 cm of rope wouldn't get you down Elizabeth Shaft, let alone Titan!
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal