Author Topic: Posting photos on UKCaving.com  (Read 9057 times)

Offline Mike Hopley

• obsessive maniac
Re: Posting photos on UKCaving.com
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:06 pm »
If ukc went for an image upload option then the ability to restrict size and allow uploads to be resized and or compressed would be essential to make best use of space and bandwidth. It would also make it easier for people who don't or can't resize images themselves. Even photos from mobiles can be a good few mb these days!

Exactly right. :thumbsup:

However, this image processing can put a heavy load on the server, and also will delay the user who is posting the photo.

That's why the "best" solution is to offload the image processing to third-party infrastructure. But this is a very, very technical solution.

For reference, here is a tutorial from Iron.io for doing that.

Offline ah147

• forum star
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 02:05:36 pm »
Can O.Rs contributions to the forum stop being referenced negatively?

I for one really enjoy reading his posts and I'm sure many others do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »

They are undeniably of interest, but they're also very resource heavy. That's why they get mentioned here. They are,quite simply the best example of the type.
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline Inferus

• Pointless
  • stalker
  • Useless
    • www.deleteme.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 06:13:54 pm »

Sheesh, can people not understand a bit of gentle humour. Dear owners, can we please have an injection of humour in to the forum, that would be a great addition!!  ;)

Graham is spot on, no other user (that I'm aware of) has posted as many photos as O.R therefore he will be mentioned when it comes to large numbers of photos..
And yes they are resource heavy - from all ends. They take a lot of space, use more bandwidth and place demands on the person viewing the thread.

Despite my gentle humour I did (yes, I've been on this forum with a different name in the past, just giving it another chance) like to view O.Rs posts and photos, even though I'm not a Mendip caver. I did of course learn quickly that anything started by O.R was best avoided until I was at home and using my fibre-broadband and not the limited 3g data on my phone..
Waste of space that doesn't understand the warped minds that infest this forum.

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »
You are all safe for a while as O.R is "resting ".  ;D

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 08:27:30 pm »
Dear owners, can we please have an injection of humour in to the forum, that would be a great addition!!  ;)

Read the 'Trifle' thread!!  It's bonkers but brilliant, plenty of humour there ;D

..and there's the Friday jokes/video clips thread, often make me smile :lol:

However maybe I'll run a competition for something daft to raise a smile, leave it with me....

Cheers, Jane

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 09:46:40 am »
Well, I opened a 'flick'r' account specifically for posting photos on this forum, but now I can't access it. (They say that they don't recognize my e-mail address, which in point of fact hasn't changed for years.)

Any suggestions as to how I can post pictures? (It did work when I first set it up.)

Offline andys

• Outside its dropped to under zero, but I'm warm on here as a
  • forum hero
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2018, 09:59:57 am »
Hi Fulk, You can now attach images directly from your computer into your post, so no need for them to be hosted elsewhere. Just click the "Attachments and other Options" button below the post as per screen shot, follow the instructions and away you go.....
Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2018, 10:29:29 am »
Thanks, andys, I'll give it a go.

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:04 am »
The drawback is that only people who are logged in can see photos posted that way.

• forum hero
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 06:11:00 pm »
So presumably they do not get assimilated by Google then. That would be a shame as I know a lot of non cavers ( for better or for worse ? ) look at UK Caving. Some forums have nil Google capture and some are public but retain one section for members only- non Google. ( The latter  "Derelict Places" which also applies to text ). It all depends on whether you want your entire content made public. Attachments may restrict the size of your posted image and for that reason I use " Postimage " for third party hosting. But then I used Photobucket for many years who have now gone from free to $399 per year meaning many photo threads on this forum will be ripped to pieces this year. It seems no single way is perfect but I must say Postimage is very easy and quick to use.

Offline mudman

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 06:34:42 pm »
So presumably they do not get assimilated by Google then. That would be a shame as I know a lot of non cavers ( for better or for worse ? ) look at UK Caving. Some forums have nil Google capture and some are public but retain one section for members only- non Google. ( The latter  "Derelict Places" which also applies to text ). It all depends on whether you want your entire content made public. Attachments may restrict the size of your posted image and for that reason I use " Postimage " for third party hosting. But then I used Photobucket for many years who have now gone from free to $399 per year meaning many photo threads on this forum will be ripped to pieces this year. It seems no single way is perfect but I must say Postimage is very easy and quick to use.

I believe that  nowadays you are supposed to add "(bastards)" when you mention Photobucket (bastards).  ;D

• forum hero
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:22 pm »
BASTARDS !!!!!

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 11:09:00 am »
Hi Fulk, You can now attach images directly from your computer into your post, so no need for them to be hosted elsewhere. Just click the "Attachments and other Options" button below the post as per screen shot, follow the instructions and away you go.....

I can't get this to work. I click on "Attachments and other Options" and I see no instructions. There is a box to browse for attachments which I did and selected the attachment but nothing appeared in the text box and the attachment did not appear when I clicked 'preview'.

Offline andys

• forum hero
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 11:45:10 am »

I can't get this to work. I click on "Attachments and other Options" and I see no instructions. There is a box to browse for attachments which I did and selected the attachment but nothing appeared in the text box and the attachment did not appear when I clicked 'preview'.

Did you check that your attachment met the criteria as specified? That is....

Allowed file types: gif, jpg, pdf, png
Restrictions: 10 per post, maximum individual size 1024KB

That's what I was meaning when wrote "instructions".

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:50 pm »
Hey – even I got it to work.  :tease:

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:58 pm »
The image I tried to attach is .jpg and 53kB.

I have tried with text and without and clicking 'preview'. What I haven't tried yet is writing text and attaching an image and clicking 'post'.

So I'll try that now. If there's an image it worked.

Well that's bloody stupid and another reason not to use this method of posting images - you can't preview them.

People not logged in will find this confusing because they won't see the image - only logged-in people will see that there is an image.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:50:47 pm by Simon Wilson »

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2018, 12:46:17 pm »
So to summarise a very long thread. Currently the best method of posting images if you want people to be able to actually see them is by using Postimages.

https://postimages.org/

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:13 pm »
This is an experiment with size which I am posting but would preview if it would let me.

And the result is that it appears smaller.

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »

I believe that  nowadays you are supposed to add "(bastards)" when you mention Photobucket (bastards).  ;D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline andys

• forum hero
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 01:15:15 pm »
Its "horses for courses" with both methods.

Postimages is fine for now, but you have to wonder if it will one day go the same way as, say, Photobucket ("bastards") or Flickr ("bastards") (or Klikonline ("bastards") or Fotopic ("bastards").....)  when someone realises there is money to be made. As attachments, at least the photos are stored on the UK Caving server so will be around for (hopefully!) as long as it is.

On the other hand, attachments need you to be logged on and (some people - but not me) have trouble previewing them. Perhaps the latter is a "fault" that deserves some attention from the gurus? Perhaps the former is a limitation which could be removed, also by the gurus? Pegasus??

So horses for courses.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 03:02:49 pm »
So horses for courses.

You're not getting at Pegasus, are you?   ;D

Offline andys

• forum hero
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:15 pm »
So horses for courses.

You're not getting at Pegasus, are you?   ;D

Ha! The illusion escaped me but of course not!