PS I dont use anything though with the word " Fire " in it  :'(

I think the word "fire" should probably be taken literally
Idle Chat / Re: Very silly pics
« Last post by Mrs Trellis on Today at 09:40:37 am »
« Last post by Mrs Trellis on Today at 09:35:46 am »
Equipment / Re: Caving light recommendations
« Last post by Leclused on Today at 09:08:47 am »
The one I had was fine. None of the characteristics you mention.

Only speaking from experience Roy.  :)

Mine are also ok as for a " light " but way to cold and wrong colour for photos. I think people get way to caught up in the current trend and what everybody else has .

A bit of topic

A while ago I asked a clubmember what a good lamp would be for photo/video. At the end we came up with the following specs

= Hi CRI (+90)
= color temp 5000 K
= 5000-6000 lumen
= weight max 500-600 gram batteries included
= max 100 €
= 18650 cells

A lamp that fits these specs is

https://www.sofirnlight.com/products/sofirn-sp36s-5200lumen-rechargeable-flashlight-4-lh351d-5000k-leds-quick-charge?fbclid=IwAR0jXl2CM_ljjEcBj7qZmOaXOocXPhMO5PQp8Gz3tpsp9FqVgdcuFLFvPWI
Equipment / Re: Caving light recommendations
« Last post by Paul Marvin on Today at 08:27:08 am »
The one I had was fine. None of the characteristics you mention.

Only speaking from experience Roy.  :)

Mine are also ok as for a " light " but way to cold and wrong colour for photos. I think people get way to caught up in the current trend and what everybody else has . The diving world is terrible for this people and paying a grand for a side mount harness they can make as I did for less than £80.00   

PS I dont use anything though with the word " Fire " in it  :'(
Surveying / Re: LIDAR Cave Scanning
« Last post by andrewmc on Today at 07:19:09 am »
However, I can't help wondering whether a LIDAR equipped system might be able to make use of the stationary property of cave wall features (or fixed artificial features), in order to generate updates continuously.

It's called SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping), no inertial measurement required, and it's not a new thing. Mad Phil did a good talk at Hidden Earth a few years ago. The LIDAR system can track its surroundings as you walk around and use that to track its current position. It's still susceptible to drift; the example he gave was that when he went into a mined section in a Chinese show cave (with a consistent square concrete cross-section) the system lost track of where it was and the mined section appeared a lot shorter than it really was.
« Last post by RobinGriffiths on Yesterday at 11:10:42 pm »
Surveying / Re: LIDAR Cave Scanning
« Last post by Steve Clark on Yesterday at 10:21:27 pm »
However, I can't help wondering whether a LIDAR equipped system might be able to make use of the stationary property of cave wall features (or fixed artificial features), in order to generate updates continuously.

This TED talk from Bill Stone features an autonomous drone that does simultaneous LIDAR location & mapping. Pretty sci-fi, but the idea is sound. Uses the LIDAR to build a model, then uses the model as fixed points to navigate from.

Skip to about 8min in :

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_stone_inside_the_world_s_deepest_caves?language=en
DCA - Derbyshire Caving Association / DCA AGM (online) on Mon 21st Feb 2022, 19:30
« Last post by DCA on Yesterday at 09:43:36 pm »
The Derbyshire Caving Association Annual General Meeting ‪on Monday 21st February 2022, 7.30 pm to 9.00 pm.

The agenda for the meeting can be found at the following link:

https://thedca.org.uk/home/meetings

We have the following Officer positions vacant, Secretary and Minute Secretary, if anybody should be interested. I am currently Acting Secretary and am very keen to pass the job onto somebody who feels they would like to volunteer a small amount of their time with DCA and help to support caving in the Peak District.

The roles above may sound like big jobs, but they are not, and don’t take much time up. We have a good team and we all work well together so a team player is required. If anybody is interested and would like more information, please email secretary@theDCA.org.uk

The AGM will be followed by a short Council meeting, 9.00 pm to 9.30 pm, to deal with any urgent business coming out of the AGM. The Agenda can also be found at the above link.

If anybody wants to join the meeting, please email secretary@theDCA.org.uk to tell me.

The joining instructions for the meetings will be sent to anybody who lets me know their intention to join.

Cheers

Wayne
DCA Chair
Equipment / Re: Phaethon Lights
« Last post by royfellows on Yesterday at 09:08:23 pm »
I have just run the docs through Google Translate

First paragraph my be of interest:

"1/ Basic principles: This project, open to all without restriction, dates from the beginning of 2013 but was dormant: it was a question of creating an empty front box in relatively versatile milled aluminum for handymen of caving headlamps which could then be adapted by each for his personal use. The project has just restarted under the impetus of Bastien, a caving colleague from the Quebec City region (Canada). "
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal