Author Topic: The Grassington Mines Appreciation Group  (Read 4583 times)

Offline sambo

• regular
Re: The Grassington Mines Appreciation Group
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2022, 02:37:39 am »
Hi all. it's been two and a half years since I posted about the work that the Grassington Mine Appreciation Group has been conducting, and thought it was about time I gave an update.

The organisation has grown rapidly over the past couple of years, and now has a reasonable amount of funding in order to fence off the uncapped mine shafts on Grassington Moor. We have also explored a number of shafts and levels around the Yorkshire Dales and Nidderdale which have all been uploaded onto Youtube.

Some of the more exciting projects have not been publicly broadcast, but safe to say, the Grassington Mines Appreciation Group are making steps to improve local knowledge of Grassington's lead mining history, as well as what remains underground. Watch this space for further updates and if you would like to learn more, search the group on Facebook or visit www.grassingtonmines.com.

cheers

Sam

Offline Cantclimbtom

• forum star
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2022, 10:09:14 am »
Great site too, lots of time must have been spent on that. Intriguing.. the lost caverns, I enjoyed reading https://grassingtonmines.com/lost-caverns/
Old lead mines.. lost caverns under the moors.. vague miners' sketches from old archives.. Are you sure Grassington isn't in Derbyshire? ;)
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2022, 08:44:40 pm »
Well done for grasping the nettle and taking action on the dodgy shaft caps up there, covered over wooden sleepers are an accident waiting to happen! Really the big shafts need tembo beams over them like the county council have used down here on the bigger shafts but at least if they're fenced round, people can't unknowingly walk onto them...
Dirty old mines need love too....

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal