Author Topic: CSCC Locks  (Read 3973 times)

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
Re: CSCC Locks
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2021, 11:03:23 am »
All this nonsense about locks and gates. I have had to lose half a stone to get through the ruddy hole.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2021, 04:34:44 pm »
I don’t know the Derbyshire caving area at all well, so I guess if it works for the guys who cave regularly there, then that’s fine; nevertheless, I do find it a bit surprising that all that’s necessary to gain access to many Derbyshire caves is an adjustable spanner. I’m just surprised that ‘undesirable elements’ haven’t realized just how easy it is to gain access.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2021, 05:26:28 pm »
Ah, but the 'undesireable elements' round this part of the world tend to resort to portable angle grinders (or even oxy-acetylene cutters in the past) if DCA makes life too difficult, so they will get in if they are really determined - and some of them are really, really determined.  And that's not cheap to put right, so this seems the best compromise all round so far, given that multiple locks and keys are more expensive anyway.

After the B******s used the oxy-acetylene cutting gear on the Clayton Adit at Ecton Mine back in the 1970s, the owner gave in and walled up the entrance - end of access for all.  (Though it did avoid the risk to local kids of a 900 foot flooded shaft in the middle of the chamber with ankle deep water which you walked across - which was the reason for the lock in the first place.)  Now portable angle-grinders are the thing so DCA does the best it can.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2021, 06:52:59 pm »
Thanks for that explanation, Jenny.

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2021, 01:45:48 pm »
I have to say it . People who try to get past locked gates or damage them are a disgrace.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2021, 02:14:28 pm »
Global Moderator Comment Posts specifically about Owl Hole in the Peak District split from here and moved to https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=28186.0
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:25:07 pm by paul »
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal