Author Topic: Number of Uni clubs left  (Read 3556 times)

Online Ian Ball

• menacing presence
Re: Number of Uni clubs left
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 09:59:27 pm »
Who is going to lead the LUSS revival?

I've sent a tweet to this fellow asking if there has been any interest in caving.

Ben Francis  (VP Activities for 2017/18)

My key priorities this year are:

Participation – I would like to see an increase in participation among sports clubs as well as increased involvement in societies.

And an email to the Activities team general address is probably no bad thing.

help  at  lusu.co.uk

How to Setup a New Society

This says first step is to book a meeting with Ben to discuss, but there is an online survey you can fill in which is pretty off putting if I'm honest, however it doesn't require an active student name or similar.

Useful Documents
  • Activities Funding Policy
  • Project and Event Budget Template
  • Annual Budget Template
  • Societies Committee terms of reference
  • Event Space Booking Form
  • New Exec Registration Form
  • Year Planner and assistance in events and financial planning activity
  • Online Duty of Care Training

Not much on starting up a new society though.

Good luck  :thumbsup:

Offline andrewmc

• obsessive maniac
  • EUSS, BEC, YSS...
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 11:02:51 pm »
Who is going to lead the LUSS revival?

A LUSS student, if it is to happen at all, I suspect.

I know there are exceptions, and some student clubs that have more non-students than students, but I believe the 'no non-students' or some limitation on non-students is very common, and I imagine there are very few universities where officers of the club can be non-students (at least not the 'real' roles i.e. head honcho, secretary, treasurer).

Rather than trying to set up a University club from outside, you probably need to try to set up student cavers at that university who can then (probably with support) set up a club. Possibly organise joint trips or something for a year so you build up a core of competent cavers at a University that does not have a club, then they start the club.

I imagine university unions would be extremely cynical about an attempt to set up a club that appeared to be externally led - setting up a club is a big potential risk for a union even if just in terms of extra paperwork.

Offline nearlywhite

• addict
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 12:02:58 am »
I think there's some appetite and momentum building! Project Phoenix is a go go  ;D (flaming bird carbide lamp would make for a great first year t-shirt...).

Andrew is right, we do need it led by a student. However, whilst we've got everyone talking and interested it wouldn't hurt to organise ourselves. So, before I disappear into the jungle could you:

send me your contact information i.e. email/Facebook, whether you're student/staff/alumni/fellow caver eager to help out

This is so that all the petty detail stuff and logistics issues don't clog up this fine forum. I'd like the discussion to continue and sad though Derek and Rachel's accounts are we need to hear that sort of stuff.

Unfortunately it's a story that I'm a bit too familiar with but I think you'll be heartend to know that we've got a group of people with the collective experience to stop this happening again to member clubs