TECHNICAL FORUMS > Equipment

Uses of a Swiss Army Knife

<< < (2/5) > >>

traff:
Accidentally, I once left a Victorinox and a Leatherman in the bottom of a damp bag after a sea fishing trip. They were in there for several months before I discovered them. The Victorinox was totally seized, however with a good soaking and thorough clean up it was stubbornly brought back to life, like new in fact. The Leatherman was a different story it was so badly corroded it wasn't worth the effort, it was just a ball of rust. So, I wrote to Leatherman expressing my disappointment in the quality of the tool and grade of steel, specifically referencing how the Victorinox was practically unscathed. Leatherman sent me a brand new one, great customer service but I wouldn't spend my hard earned on one again.

aricooperdavis:

--- Quote from: traff on May 23, 2021, 12:42:13 pm ---Leatherman sent me a brand new one, great customer service but I wouldn't spend my hard earned on one again.

--- End quote ---

The most used tool for me is without a doubt the pliers, and the cheapest Victorinox with those is £130, so it's a Leatherman for me!

Mark Wright:

--- Quote from: aricooperdavis on May 23, 2021, 01:52:33 pm ---
--- Quote from: traff on May 23, 2021, 12:42:13 pm ---Leatherman sent me a brand new one, great customer service but I wouldn't spend my hard earned on one again.

--- End quote ---

The most used tool for me is without a doubt the pliers, and the cheapest Victorinox with those is £130, so it's a Leatherman for me!

--- End quote ---

The Deluxe Tinker has pliers and is only £45.00

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Deluxe-Tinker/p/1.4723?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7NlxTCtd9giK0UC9ouQ90JrtmYD1wdMLcDMo4jfLKBT1XJcEZ3cybDOBoCDa4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hunter:
I have used the awl on several occasions to dig thorns & splinters from my hands although it is starting to lose the point a bit now due to being used for making holes in other stuff as well.

PeteHall:

--- Quote from: aricooperdavis on May 23, 2021, 01:52:33 pm ---The most used tool for me is without a doubt the pliers, and the cheapest Victorinox with those is £130, so it's a Leatherman for me!

--- End quote ---

Agreed, the pliers are without doubt the most useful thing. On this basis, my multi-tool of choice was always a Gerber, as the pliers can be opened one handed with a quick flick.

https://www.gerber-store.co.uk/needlenose-mp600-multi-tool-stainless-steel?gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nl5bByQ8PA5y5RaLpYLFt4ozq6snbedPC5J5_cYz5mhFID4FKWbXvlBoCK28QAvD_BwE

Possibly not as tough as a Leatherman, but I used to have one on me, pretty much 24/7 and had no issues at all with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version