WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > Wales

Plans or survey on grand Turk passage

<< < (2/3) > >>

speedycaver:
Oh, I also need to apologise as the metal ladder and bits at the bottom of that shaft are what we had to leave behind as we couldn't manage to bring them back out on that trip as one of the trio wasn't well and left half way through the day, leaving just the two of us to bring everything out.
The plan was to return for the rest of the stuff but before I had the chance I had a pretty big accident and haven't been back to Minera since  :down:

I've always felt guilty about leaving 'rubbish' behind.

It's probably rusted away by now though..   :shrug:

cavemanmike:
Cheer speedy
I was going to matpole it but don't think I'll bother now.

speedycaver:
Ha, a hell of a lot of work for nuffin..!    ::)
Was a  fun day though, albeit extremely exhausting.   :blink:

Dave Tyson:

--- Quote from: speedycaver on October 31, 2021, 06:17:44 pm ---Oh, I also need to apologise as the metal ladder and bits at the bottom of that shaft are what we had to leave behind as we couldn't manage to bring them back out on that trip as one of the trio wasn't well and left half way through the day, leaving just the two of us to bring everything out.
The plan was to return for the rest of the stuff but before I had the chance I had a pretty big accident and haven't been back to Minera since  :down:

I've always felt guilty about leaving 'rubbish' behind.

It's probably rusted away by now though..   :shrug:

--- End quote ---
Hi Speedycaver,

The ladder was hanging from some kind of anchor when I climbed the shaft to the dam some years ago. I climbed part way up it and then jumared up a rope which was hanging down partway, having put some protection on it case it failed. At the top, the rope was attached to a good re-belay and went through the 'dam' to a bar IIRC. I looked at the climb up the mineshaft, but didn't have any bolting gear. The rope was replaced by persons unknown, probably NWCC, with a proper y hang, some years later. I did revisit to look if it was possible to dig the passage at the end where it meets a collapsed shaft - but that must be 8 years ago at least. Haven't been back since, but a recent UCET trip had to retrieve the rope which was coiled up near the dam. That means there must be a way up and out now. Speaking to another club member he implied that was the way he came in and went out on a NWCC led trip so maybe the collapse you encountered has been cleared and there is now a route to near the top of the diesel stopes reached from the back of Boundary shaft.

Dave

speedycaver:
Hmm, that sounds interesting.
Obviously it used to reach surface and so it is possible someone has dug through one of the collapses, either at the end of the passage or at the top of the 100ft shaft.
I didn't leave a rope behind at the dam.  I derigged the one I put in that day, just free climbed back down on the way out.  Obviously there have been more visitors since then.  Would love to know if you can access that pat from the surface now.  Would be a fun round trip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version