TECHNICAL FORUMS > Surveying

DistoX2 an alternative

(1/7) > >>

Subpopulus Hibernia:
You can read more on the Caveatron here - http://caveatron.com/index.html

It's quite a sophisticated device, it does the usual compass, inclination, and length measurements, but it's primarily a handheld 3D scanning tool.

I'm not sure how well it would replace or succeed the DistoX -  it looks quite techy to assemble and set up and is about 3 times the size of the DistoX. The beauty of the DistoX was that it is a relatively simple tool, that can be fairly easily produced  and assembled - which is why there's so many of them. In terms of producing devices, most of the other cave surveying tools I've seen are of fairly limited scalability and won't reach the level of ubiquity that the DistoX had.

Benfool:
I was looking at the Caveatron last night, looks pretty cool, but a little over engineered and not something that anybody could put together.

The other issue is that it uses a discontinued disto at its primary distance measurer - I couldn't find a single one on ebay. This is certainly not ideal so I cant see it being a long term replacement for the Distox.

Hopefully something will come along that has the scalability the Distox did :(.

B

Bob Mehew:
I noted that the Caveatron spec for its compass was 'below +/- 1.5' degrees which might just miss the BCRA Grade 5 requirement of below +/- 1.0.  What was the DistoX spec?  Pity about using potentially unavailable parts.

Subpopulus Hibernia:

--- Quote from: Bob Mehew on April 28, 2020, 12:23:18 pm ---I noted that the Caveatron spec for its compass was 'below +/- 1.5' degrees which might just miss the BCRA Grade 5 requirement of below +/- 1.0.  What was the DistoX spec?  Pity about using potentially unavailable parts.

--- End quote ---

Properly calibrated, the DistoX should be below 0.5 degree accuracy.

Dave254:
The recommended range finder for the Caveatron is discontinued, however there are 2 suitable replacement parts that are listed in the documentation.  The only reason for the recommendation of the discontinued range finder is that the measurement time was limited to 1 second which benefited the accuracy of the lidar survey (the other range finders have a variable measurement time of upto 3 seconds).  For normal cave surveying it makes no difference whether the preferred range finder is used or not (it might just take upto 3 seconds to take a measurement instead of 1).

The data specified on the website with regards to compass accuracy is out of date and refers to the first version (there was a 2nd updated version released a few month ago).  This includes and updated/improved IMU which will improve the compass accuracy (I don't know what the accuracy is in the 2nd version off the top of my head).

I have got one, however I did not manage to test it properly before lock down began.  If I can work the forum properly then there should be a quick unedited lidar scan of the entrance to Great Douk below!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version