Author Topic: Making your own wetsuit  (Read 3453 times)

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Making your own wetsuit
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 12:06:51 am »
It's more getting the fastener to engage with the zip in the first place that's the issue - it's very high up on the chest so it's quite a tricky spot to exert some force but with dexterity. It's a Zen thing ;)

UK Caving

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 12:06:51 am »
Warmbac

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 03:48:19 pm »
I've finally cracked it. The trick is to hold both sides of the fabric with the RIGHT hand (once the two halves of the zip are engaged together in the zipper) and pull gently to straighten both sides of the zip. Then, with your LEFT hand underneath your right arm, draw the zipper across. This might sound obvious but it isn't when you're used to traditional wetsuit zips.

I agree with pwhole, it'd be much easier if the zip was fixed the other way around - indeed many other brands of wetsuits with chest zips do make them this way. This video gives an example - but I mainly posted the link as it might be useful for anyone else wanting to know the optimum way of getting in and out of chest zip suits. (NOTE: my advice about doing up the zip on the Decathlon suit is different from what you'll see when he does up the zip in this video.)

I'm pretty impressed with the Decathlon "Oliain" wetsuit so far; it's much more comfortable than any "purpose made" caving wetsuit I've ever had. Sizing is slightly weird though; I'm fairly skinny yet the correct size for me is "XL". As mentioned in an earlier post, one of my concerns was lack of ventilation when you get hot. In fact it's quite comfortable to wear with the zip open and your head out of the neck seal, which allows at least some cooling potential. Now I just need to look into topcat's P-zip information (many thanks for emailing that to me TC!) and the job's a good 'un.

Word of advice; the first suit I ordered (size "LT") had to go back for a refund as it was far too small. After several days having heard nothing I had to email them; they claimed they'd not received the suit. Fortunately I'd sent it back Royal Mail signed for; I emailed them a photo of the receipt from the post office, with the tracking number clearly visible - then I got my refund 2 days later. So if you do have to send anything back to Decathlon, I'd strongly advise using this "signed for" option.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:13:58 pm by Pitlamp »

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2020, 04:12:23 pm »
Oh god, now I'm going to have to put it on again to practise! But that's OK, I'm missing it, having only used it once since I bought it, and it being a very flexible 'business expense' too - thanks for the tips. I'll try it out and let you know how I get on. Or get in ;)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 04:29:13 pm »
I had to persevere before I sussed it out. Facing a mirror helps. Then do it again not facing a mirror!

Go on - go for it . . . . !   :thumbsup:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 04:34:22 pm »
Luckily the sun has finally come out so I'm going for my daily walk first to see if I can find anything interesting in the woods. I usually do ;)

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2020, 09:02:29 pm »
Well?     :unsure:

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2020, 10:27:38 pm »
Good grief! It's far too warm to be putting wetsuits on indoors! That took a while to remember the correct sequence and I was sweaty as hell by the time I remembered. And I should have taken my socks off! But yes, I pretty much got it with the zip, though it took a few goes - the top side kept popping out of the fastener before I could pull it tight. It is annoying to not have it already on, but I wondered if maybe the reason it's that way round is that it's less likely to rip the neck panel if it's pulled over the head too roughly? I'm sure they must have tested it the other way around.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2021, 09:51:14 pm »
I just found that the price of the Oliain wetsuit from Decathlon has changed from £129-99 to £199-99.  :o  I think they're manufactured in France, so this is probably the fault of all those people who were conned into voting for Brexit.

Having said that, I've caved (and cave dived, in combination with other neoprene garments) a lot in the suit since I bought it and I do like it, so I'd be tempted to fork out even this much for a replacement. Some of the very similar competition would set you back >£300 if you were daft enough to spend that much on something that may not last too long if caving seriously in it.

Incidentally Decathlon does also sell what looks like an equivalent Oliain 4 mm / 3 mm suit but with a back zip for only £69-99. (I don't get on with back zips though.)

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 12:27:41 am »
Wow - in that case I'm glad I got it when I did! And I'm still waiting - one use only. But surely soon. As soon as we're allowed I'm going to go down the Lower Bung Streamway and just sit in it for an hour ;)

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 07:36:15 pm »
I know you don't do Facebook, Pitlamp, but I've picked up a couple of virtually new wetsuits for about £30 each recently on Facebook marketplace. A Warmbac Speleopro and a Beaver Icelandic Ultra.

There are loads of people selling virtually unused kit on there for very cheap, usually not the latest model though. Presumably, they have tried diving abroad, bought all the kit and then given up after one or two UK dives...

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 07:52:57 pm »
I'm not a Yorkshireman - but you've got me interested!   ;)

Offline scratch

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 08:24:26 pm »
All our Eldon and other clubs around in the late 60/70's were made by Paul Deakin measured by Eileen Hartle at Hartle Tours in Buxton and you did not carry a tube of glue, you glued when dry or when an arm was coming off.
In the late 60's at the PSM I saw a French caver's wife with bell bottom wetsuit trousers (French Style)

Offline JasonC

• forum hero
  • KCC
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 08:27:51 pm »
Had a chat with the father over the phone just now and he told me that the wetsuit kit came with all the pieces pre-cut. You got given a list of measurements to take, which you sent off, and then the wetsuit company did all the cutting. So you just had to do the assembly. So the old instructions in the attic are probably just that, assembly instructions, and not a pattern.

I can remember making my first two wetsuits in the mid-70s.  I'm fairly sure the neoprene came marked-out bu not cut, so all you had to do was cut and glue... and if you wanted something that had a chance of lasting, sew up the seams with nylon line, and tape.

Cutting wasn't as easy it sounds, due to the need to get nice square edges.  Obviously a nice sharp craft knife is the thing, but being young and stupid, I just used scissors which meant you got little steps in the seams every few inches, which were a point of failure.

The great debate amongst my friends was smooth vs sharkskin, and one-piece vs two-piece.
I favoured a smooth one-piece (where you get hole under your crotch) and my mate went for a sharkskin two-piece (where the crotch strap detaches itself).

Sharkskin was reckoned to be harder-wearing, but the smooth was easier to patch when it went....

Offline Mark Wright

• junky
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 09:47:38 pm »
Mine was a 1979 Christmas present from my mum and dad. A two piece sharkskin. I really enjoyed the building experience, though that could have been the glue. 

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2021, 10:53:40 pm »
Hmmmmm . . . well I remember making my own wetsuit way back when. I also remember that unlined wetsuits were awkward to get on, but if you sprinkled the inside with a good dose of talcum powder it made it so much easier to get it on. So one day I went into a branch of Boots the Chemist with a friend who was going to buy some talcum powder to put inside his wetsuit. I said, casually, conversationally, to the assistant, ‘You know, he wants it to put inside his rubber suit’. Well, I don’t know which was the dirtiest look – my friend’s or the Boots assistant’s.

Offline Graigwen

• forum star
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 12:12:15 am »
Ah yes, the talcum powder. I had almost managed to obliterate the memory of that.  Here is Mrs Trellis's account of a first visit to Llygad Llwchwr in late 1966 or early 1967:

On our first visit there we were welcomed incredibly warmly by the farmer's wife. She immediately gave us permission to cross the land and, when we asked her for a barn to change in, insisted that we use the front parlour of the farmhouse. This was complete with harp, piano, antimacassars—the full monty! A liberal dose of talcum powder eased the wet suits on and turned the front parlour into a snow-laden Santa's grotto. The conflicting fragrances of the different brands of talc was redolent of the type of establishment occurring in ports of call rather than a chapel-reared farmhouse parlour. On returning from caving there were steaming mugs of coffee and bara brith. Such halcyon days!

Available online at:  https://www.abercavers.co.uk/thrutch/015/#h-02

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 07:20:44 am »
I could never really understand why unperfumed talcum powder was always more expensive than the smelly stuff.

Offline Addy

• WSG
  • player
  • Bleh!
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2021, 08:45:19 am »
We bought ready made wetsuits in 1978 from Wemlor Marine who, I seem to remember, advertised in Descent or one of the climbing mags. Took measurements as per the guide and sent off the dosh. We could have bought them as kits but it was little more to have them taped and stitched - fully assembled. They were 4mm shark-skin neoprene and lasted for ages (with various repairs and patchings of course).
My suit was nicked with the car and all my other climbing and caving kit in 1984. >:(

Bought a Warmbac suit from eBay a few years ago and that's still in use...  ;)
Why?

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2021, 12:43:00 pm »
I could never really understand why unperfumed talcum powder was always more expensive than the smelly stuff.

They have to take all the Uranium out of the unperfumed ;)

Offline Wolfo

• German bugger
  • regular
    • ArgeKH
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2021, 02:01:40 pm »
Maybe ask yrammy  ;)
I remember from some old forum contest she had a pretty peeling experience with selfmade suits.
Lower Saxony - Harz Mountain Area - Germany

Offline NickRT91

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 04:02:01 pm »
After a little bit of digging for patterns I found this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/992148995/kwik-sew-2335-1990s-men-wetsuit-sewing

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 12:49:59 pm »
I just found that the price of the Oliain wetsuit from Decathlon has changed from £129-99 to £199-99.  :o  I think they're manufactured in France, so this is probably the fault of all those people who were conned into voting for Brexit.

Having said that, I've caved (and cave dived, in combination with other neoprene garments) a lot in the suit since I bought it and I do like it, so I'd be tempted to fork out even this much for a replacement. Some of the very similar competition would set you back >£300 if you were daft enough to spend that much on something that may not last too long if caving seriously in it.

Incidentally Decathlon does also sell what looks like an equivalent Oliain 4 mm / 3 mm suit but with a back zip for only £69-99. (I don't get on with back zips though.)

UPDATE - which may be of interest if you had considered one of these.

If you're similar to me (6' 2" and fairly light frame) you'll need an XL size. XL seems to have been out of stock for a while though. I've been waiting for them to become available again because mine's been hammered this year and I wanted one to put by as they're so comfy - despite the now exorbitant price due to Brexit.

I saw today that there are some available again in XL and the price is now a bit less at £179-99. But there were only four in stock. If you want one you'll find there are now only 3 in stock (as I type) as I just placed an order. The up to date link is:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-4-3-mm-neoprene-wetsuit-surf-900/_/R-p-302344?mc=8504145&c=BLACK

Offline yrammy

• forum star
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 07:47:04 am »
My mate made his own wet suit but cut our one leg piece one way and three leg pieces the other   half a leg was always inside out. .

My first attempt - unlined very thin neoprene  - got wrecked on its first trip  - Ireby Fell I believe. Mended it with masking tape for the send day caving - I looked a little like The Mummy.   

Photo two - no comments on technique and equipment please - surprisingly I survived :-)

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal