Author Topic: Question for petrol experts  (Read 1549 times)

Online tony from suffolk

• forum hero
  • Old codger
Re: Question for petrol experts
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 07:14:41 pm »
Got to be honest, that subtle performance edge that premium fuels supposedly gives is lost on me.

I once did a bit of a (not very scientific) test to see whether it was worth the extra cost of premium petrol in terms of improved MPG. I had driven my wife's Renault Clio from Bristol to Durham on regular petrol and recorded my MPG for the journey. Before I returned, I filled up with premium petrol and made the same long steady journey the other way and recorded my MPG.

My theory was that over two long and more or less identical journeys, I could work out a comparable £ per mile for both regular and premium petrol.

As it was, I never bothered working out the cost per mile, as the MPG on the return journey was identical; the premium fuel made no difference at all to my fuel economy.

What are the variables that aren't identical here Pete?

I can think of:
road surface
topography
wind
traffic volume

I honestly had a belief that the premium brands had some sort of diesel injector cleaning properties.  Useful for a hard blast up and down the dual carriageway before an mot emissions test.
You forgot the obvious variable - when going to Durham you're going uphill, then back down to Bristol.
"Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment"

Offline Paul Marvin

• forum star
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates, WGAS
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 08:05:04 pm »
Got to be honest, that subtle performance edge that premium fuels supposedly gives is lost on me.

I once did a bit of a (not very scientific) test to see whether it was worth the extra cost of premium petrol in terms of improved MPG. I had driven my wife's Renault Clio from Bristol to Durham on regular petrol and recorded my MPG for the journey. Before I returned, I filled up with premium petrol and made the same long steady journey the other way and recorded my MPG.

My theory was that over two long and more or less identical journeys, I could work out a comparable £ per mile for both regular and premium petrol.

As it was, I never bothered working out the cost per mile, as the MPG on the return journey was identical; the premium fuel made no difference at all to my fuel economy.

What are the variables that aren't identical here Pete?

I can think of:
road surface
topography
wind
traffic volume

I honestly had a belief that the premium brands had some sort of diesel injector cleaning properties.  Useful for a hard blast up and down the dual carriageway before an mot emissions test.
You forgot the obvious variable - when going to Durham you're going uphill, then back down to Bristol.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline Ian Ball

• forum hero
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2021, 11:15:31 pm »
I suppose temperature and air density will factor in too.

Offline ZombieCake

• forum hero
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2021, 11:58:50 pm »
The journey needs to be repeated with the Clio both laden and unladen, and with respect to velocity, as that is what those wise in the ways of science would have done.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2021, 01:12:19 am »
Well as a non-driver, I was hoping to find out a little more about Stihl strimmers and their performance on luxury fuels, but no such luck. Mind you, I don't have a garden either. Staring out of the passenger window again. But of course artists don't drive, they're driven. :halo:

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal