WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > The Dales

Maze caves

(1/3) > >>

Speleofish:
I've just been reading about Draughting Hole, the maze cave that's recently been discovered in Gretadale. Which made me wonder: why are maze caves so prevalent in the northern dales and apparently not further south, or in other caving areas?

langcliffe:
This is discussed on pages 131-132 of Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales, Volume 1.

RobinGriffiths:
I would guess it's something to do with thin limestone beds being constrained between impremeable beds in some way promoting dissolution along joints.

pwhole:

--- Quote from: langcliffe on October 18, 2021, 10:36:56 am ---This is discussed on pages 131-132 of Caves and Karst of the Yorkshire Dales, Volume 1.

--- End quote ---

What if you only have Volume 2? I can't afford £15 just to find out this one factoid. Actually, thinking about it, Brightgate Cave near Snittertonin Derbyshire is a bit mazey, but no idea if it was as a result of the above, which I can't read :)

Speleofish:
I have to agree. It's potentially useful to know where I can buy an answer, but I'm not convinced that I need to buy the book. Thoughts anyone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version