WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > Scotland

First time in Assynt

(1/4) > >>

steviet_scg:
I have a trip up to Assynt coming up in a few weeks time - first time  :clap2:. Hoping to negotiate a day or two release to get underground - I have the cave descriptions but really interested to hear:

a. which trips are a must do - noting that these are likely to be solo trips
b. any general tips / advice
c. if there's anything needing doing / checking on / fettling then more than happy to help if I can

cheers
Steve

Cantclimbtom:
I know it's not caving, so I will probably get tarred and feathered, but if you're at a loose end then the walk up Suilven from Lochinver (1 overnight at Suileag bothy if you have time) is an absolute classic. Spent a little time wandering about those parts as a kid (not adult supervised, call social services!!!). Thinking recently how much I miss walking and bothies etc.

mrodoc:
Depends how brave you are bearing in mine you would be caving solo and SCRO are going to take a while to get to you if you have a problem! People go solo caving in Allt nam Uamh Stream Cave (ANUSc) and you could poke around the Bone Caves - those are not weather dependent either. In the Traligill Valley Cnoc  nam Uamh is worth a visit. I would make sure somebody knows where you are going though. 

Regarding Suilven it can be done in a day from Lochinver or if you have a kayak you could do what we did once and paddle down Loch Veyatie then walk to the base and climb it. The actual climbing is concentrated into an almost vertical clamber up the saddle between the two main ridges. There are plenty of other hills that offer equally stunning view though - great for hill walking. If you are in the area don't forget to visit Smoo Cave at Durness.
The GSG website is very helpful regarding information.

mrodoc:
PS if you scuba dive the sea loch diving is great and not weather dependent if you don't mind changing in a gale with driving rain!

Jim MacPherson:

--- Quote from: Cantclimbtom on October 07, 2021, 03:55:40 pm ---I know it's not caving, so I will probably get tarred and feathered, but if you're at a loose end then the walk up Suilven from Lochinver (1 overnight at Suileag bothy if you have time) is an absolute classic. Spent a little time wandering about those parts as a kid (not adult supervised, call social services!!!). Thinking recently how much I miss walking and bothies etc.

--- End quote ---

Or even Conival and Ben More Assynt, the ridge between is quite good and nip into the Inchnadamph caves on the way back down, just so you don't get to the pub too early.  :halo:

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version