WHERE THE CAVES ARE - The Caving Regions > Mendip

Bad air / pollution / bad bolts / etc

<< < (3/15) > >>

solidjelly:
Bad air in Cuckoo Cleaves on Thursday 24th July evening.  Seemed to be a problem at the bottom of the ladder even though there was a draught and by the bottom of the climb we turned round and had difficulty getting out.  It's really dangerous at the moment.

Chrissy

Aubrey:
For the record (Because Mendip Weather Station not working):
Pressure approx 1016Mb and it has been quite windy over past week (i.e. pressure has not been constant).

twiglet:
Request from a club member with no internet access to report bad air on ACG trip to Cuckoo cleeves 14/09/08. Most recent pressure reading 996.9 mb.

rich:

--- Quote from: twiglet on September 15, 2008, 08:44:28 pm ---Request from a club member with no internet access to report bad air on ACG trip to Cuckoo cleeves 14/09/08. Most recent pressure reading 996.9 mb.

--- End quote ---

I suppose this was the group who went down Cuckoo Cleeves before us yesterday -- group of 4/5? They told us as we went in that the air wasn't great. We got down as far as a streamway (it didn't seem very far on the way in, I hadn't been in the cave before) before deciding that the air really was quite bad. Getting out was a real struggle, very unpleasant. Certainly the worst air I've experienced in a cave.

I'd recommend being careful with this cave, especially if more than one group is going through it on the same day.

angelmaz11:
Sunday 12th October 2008:

4 of us experienced bad air in Swildon's Shatter Series in the U-tube/Junction Chamber area.

We were all breathing very heavily and with me being in Junction Chamber on my own was feeling unwell/faint. Good efforts by all for evacuating the area as quickly as possible  :thumbsup:

Afterwards I was informed that it was the worst time of year for this part of the cave due to the decay of vegetation.
Think it's worth passing on the message as it was a scary experience for us. A note has been left on the board in the Wessex hut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
Go to full version