Author Topic: Disto X2 finally available!  (Read 15237 times)

Offline CaviaSpeleo

Re: Disto X2 finally available!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 01:35:22 pm »
I have biger problem than I thought.
year I have a lamp with two rare-earth magnet (puslar magnetic)
I tried to put a lamp near the old sensitive monitor and see the changes on the screen. it seems that I spent a year of surveying for norhing  :down:

Offline Duncan Price

• forum star
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 11:44:02 pm »
We did some tests at Wookey Hole today and got large (++ 10 degree) errors by holding diving cylinders near to the Disto.  Not relevant to most people but we've been using a Disto in an aluminium housing for underwater surveying...

Offline footleg

• Caving
  • forum star
  • avid photographer & survey drawerupperer
    • Footleg's Cave Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 05:43:22 pm »
Since I ran foul of magnetic interference problems, I always take back shots for every leg with the DistoX. That way you learn of problems on site as soon as they occur. You also detect if your DistoX is not properly calibrated. It doesn't slow down the survey (with a team of 3) because the sketching is still the slowest part of the operation. So a couple of people doing Disto operation and station setting can easily shoot both forward and back shots for every leg in the time is takes the sketcher to draw the area covered by that leg. The software on the PDA (PocketTopo) will tell you if the back shot does not match the forward shot (it will automatically number the stations correctly for the back shot if the readings correspond to the forward leg). e.g. 1 - 2 for the forward leg, then 2 - 1 for the back leg. If the back leg is not a good match for the forward leg it is numbered 2 - 3 instead and you know something is not right. Saves a lot of wasted survey time when something catches you out (like magnetic steel toecaps in your boots as in our case).