Author Topic: Feedback, comments, thoughts wanted please.  (Read 7824 times)

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
Re: Feedback, comments, thoughts wanted please.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:52 pm »
What is a word processer Oh erudite one ? :(

• forum hero
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 07:02:23 pm »
Surely the trip reports are not aimed at Newbies to read . I am sure much of what I could write about would put them off caving for ever.  Like wise " A Days Digging in Grebe ".
Though from what I see the good Cap'n has a remarkable agility when it comes to words. A good trip report should be found interesting by everyone. Oh I wasnt knocking Swildon's. I used it as an example that everyone would know. If only I could heave myself out of my armchair I might conjure up something truly fascinating ( not frightening ). Oh dear my best days are long passed.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 07:10:28 pm »

It's a bit like the parchment and quill you are already familiar with, but has more moving parts, mostly little buttons you can press to create sentences on a brightly illuminated pane of glass.

There are rules, though, and you must be careful to observe them, namely if you use the BIG LETTERS it means you are having a funny turn and need to rest with a thimble of horlicks.

Offline Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 07:12:39 pm »

'Tis a computer program that allows you to type stuff as on a typewriter but without having to keep putting pieces of paper in.

Names like WordStar and AmiPro might be familiar to you.

Unfortunately, today the system of choice (?) seems to be a piece of Micros**t's' evil bloatware...    :(

However, using such systems you can type as slowly as you like for as long as you like (or as long as your better half will let you), then - as the good Cap'n says, you can electronically copy your masterpiece and paste it into your forum entry.

It must be easier to do than calibrating a Disto or mastering Therion.
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 07:16:54 pm »
TOR might benefit from this online tutorial....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

• forum hero
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 07:19:02 pm »
Sounds far too complicated Roger. If its something inherent in the forum why is it there ? I have taken ages to write up stuff on other forums and not come across it before and you do get notified if others have posted in the meantime.

• forum hero
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 07:21:08 pm »
TOR might benefit from this online tutorial....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

Sadly the Old Ruminator suffers from the C.B.A. Syndrome. I just want to type it here and post it.

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 07:24:14 pm »
Photograph your diary page(s) and post them as images instead?

• forum hero
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
I had a thought. I could type it as an email or draught then copy and paste it here. ::)

That would work wouldn't it ?

Offline Cap'n Chris

• forum hero
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 07:39:54 pm »
Yep

Offline JasonC

• junky
  • KCC
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »
I'm wondering why so few folks have entered the two current competitions:  :confused:

Are the prizes not of interest to cavers? Do folks own enough rope and warm jackets? 

To echo others: it's not that we're ungrateful - keep the competitions, they're much appreciated, and the prizes are certainly worth having.

For myself, I do write trip reports for my club journal (well, someone has to...) but I guess I feel to enter a competition (one with a prize, dammit!) it has to be about something pretty special.  Like doing a 12-hour epic or nearly dying of hypothermia.  You feel that if a report of a standard trip where nothing untoward happened was offered, everyone would think 'yeah, so what, he expects to win with that ?'

Online Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 12:02:19 am »
Thank you to everyone for their feedback and PM's  :thumbsup:

Competitions will definitely be staying and I'll be looking at running a caption competition soon.

A reminder, winners are chosen at random for the two current competitions, so provided a bit of effort is made you have as a good a chance to win as someone who has written an epic tale and remember what might seem mundane to you is still good to read over a brew  :coffee:

There have been some excellent tales posted and to be honest I'm glad I don't have to choose the 'best' as winner - am happy for random.org to do it for me.

As ever, thanks to all for their support of UKC  :thumbsup:

Online Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 11:16:47 pm »
I've entered most of the competitions and will do for the jacket one - although I do own more than my fair share of warm jackets! Might be worth noting that the Rab jacket is not a down jacket and hence probably more useful to cavers.

There's probably a direct link between the effort required and the number of entries. Writing up a trip report type entry takes effort and as anyone who has produced a club newsletter will tell you there's people who will always write something and people who never will.

I like the competitions - a range of different styles of competitions will help - trip reports, photos, caption competitions, random winners, voting etc. 

I hardly ever visit the home page (unread posts is my landing page) so regular bouncing of the competition threads might help.

Hope this helps
Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your feedback - a range of different styles of competitions is a great idea and soon as I saw Lucy's photo I thought it would be ideal for a caption competition.  It's on the home page but also here: http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19512.0

Pegasus  :)

Offline badger

• forum star
  • WSCC. WCC
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 06:47:42 pm »
I very sadly lost the use of my laptop for more than 2 weeks from my post re trip write up, however the next time we have a trip write up comp I will write it up and send it in, although depends when it is, as this particular write up might have next year might have a big up date coming.
 ;D ;D

Online Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 08:57:12 pm »
Thanks, Badger.

Looks like a caption competition was a fab idea - how the heck are we going to choose a winner!??

Offline badger

• forum star
  • WSCC. WCC
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2015, 09:20:25 am »
eany meany minie moh :shrug:

Online Aubrey

• obsessive maniac
  • Wessex, SWETCCC
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 04:39:11 pm »
The caption competition is popular because it only takes a minute or two to enter.
make more cave - we have the technology!

Offline ah147

• forum star
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 05:16:25 pm »
If you had a "like" button, people could effectively vote for the winners of competitions :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 07:08:35 pm »
If you had a "like" button, people could effectively vote for the winners of competitions :D

You're so right - will look into it again in the New Year....

Offline JasonC

• junky
  • KCC
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »

Looks like a caption competition was a fab idea - how the heck are we going to choose a winner!??

Just choose the one you and Badlad like best, and blow democracy!  Owning the forum must have some privileges, surely?

Offline Amata

• Cave Bunny
  • forum hero
  • Let's go underground!
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2015, 05:17:27 pm »
Is there a subfora for just the comps? They seem to be spread all over. I sont always check each section so i might miss. Or perhaps sticky them to show everywhere. I mean there is a current prize for technical tip winner announced on dec 20. It is 24 and i dont see any announcement as of yesterday (havnt looked around the fora today yet).
Hard-Traveling Speleofreak with the Rabbit Habit and Mud in the Blood
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunguramy/
Sunguramy, my cave photography and blog website

Online Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »
Hi Amy,

The Top technical Tip prize was ages ago so the comp is over and the prize awarded - however folks are still commenting on the thread.....

Competitions do tend to be posted on various threads, however I always highlight them on the home page, so keep an eye out there.  Hope that helps  :)

Happy Christmas, Pegasus

Offline timwatts

• United Cavers Exploration Team
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 04:54:27 pm »
Is there a way to browse the threads with 'recent posts' other than the few listed at the bottom of the page? on other forums i quite like hitting 'recent topics' button to quickly scan down recent discussions. It doesn't bring up recent individual posts, it brings up recently 'active' topics in chronological order. It would possibly be a way to encourage people to input into a wider range of 'areas' of the forum.

Thanks for all the good work.

Tim

TIM WATTS
--------------
Chairman
United Cavers Exploration Team
www.ucet.org.uk
chairman@ucet.org.uk

Offline ianball11

• forum hero
    • http://www.huddersfieldstudent.com
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:25 pm »
The forum home page has that on the left frame?

Offline PaulW

• menacing presence
  • WSCC, WCC
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 06:57:42 pm »
or click on

Show unread posts since last visit.

nr top left when you are logged in, I have this page set as a favourite in my browser