Author Topic: Warning - major collapse at Odin Mine  (Read 23754 times)

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Warning - major collapse at Odin Mine
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2018, 04:54:50 pm »
Apparently it's one of the old fluorite-mining shafts on the top of the gorge (Treak Cliff side) that has started collapsing, and dropped rocks below. Personally I find that difficult to understand, as both the shafts I've seen up there had birdcage covers, had no protruding ginging and were not close enough to the edge to be a hazard below. So it's still a bit of a mystery, and there's been zero progress made in the last few months as far as I can see. I know the head warden at the NT is retiring soon, which may be the reason for the delay.

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2018, 06:29:03 pm »
Here's the two shafts, photographed in 2010 - if it is one of these that's caused it, there must have been a serious change in the topography. Next time I'm wandering about I'll have a look, but if anyone else gets chance before me, please report back.

Offline TheMercury13

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:37 pm »
I find this fascinating; I'm not a Caver, too scared of small spaces & risks :o but I love caves, so I visit the tourist 1s & vicariously read caving blogs. I was wondering about the Odin mine, why it's not been opened but I hadn't realised the condition it's in! Would a 3-D scanner be useful for mapping it? Guessing it's costly, has it's limits & I've no idea how you'd go about it - maybe NT would be interested to know the lay of their land?

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2018, 08:42:42 pm »
Did you ever get back for a look, Phil?
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:45 pm »
droid - Yes I did go up, two weeks ago - the collapse was a large chunk of rock from the south side of the gorge - it's the roof of one of the small cave/mine openings about ten metres above the gorge floor (pictured before it collapsed). It was probably a ton of rock that dropped, so it would have been fatal if anyone had been there. I've no idea as yet what the NT are planning regarding repairs or stabilisation, but it wouldn't be safe to allow people in there without some work doing. It doesn't affect the mine itself, but as yet the access agreement for the future hasn't yet been finalised - I hope that we'll learn more at the next UCF meeting in late October if not before.

TheMercury13 - 3D scanners (other than hand-held) would be impossible in Odin due to the filthy and unstable conditions. Our plan way back in 2010 was to attempt to push and survey the parts deemed to be blocked or inaccessible, and re-survey the more interesting sections shown on the 1975 Peter Lord/SUSS survey, but sadly the 'incorrect' reporting of the floor collapse (we used the word 'dangerous' - quite reasonable, we presumed, as it was) was enough to make them close it down to cavers. One day we do hope to get back onto this project, as long as I'm still caving and not in an OAP home.