Author Topic: Eldon Hole - Trip Report  (Read 100372 times)

Offline Over the Hill

• addict
Re: Eldon Hole - Trip Report
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2017, 05:56:18 pm »
Last time I was in the Eldon as in NCCC with the Eldon PC must be 45 years ago and there was a snow plug in Summer at the bottom. How is that decent and exit as I would love to wander down this Spring and pull out a bucket full for old times sake.  Or would that be trolling.
NCC (45 years plus).

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #451 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:01 am »
We had another good session at the dig face yesterday. Mark R, Mark S, Adam P and me finally got the next section of roof completed and installed a fair bit more scaffolding. There was a howling draught blowing out of the dig floor, getting stronger as we hauled more and more buckets out of the bottom.

It shouldn't be long now.

Mark

Offline Colin_W

« Reply #452 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:54 am »
Amazing! 

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Offline Madness

• forum star
« Reply #453 on: March 20, 2017, 12:36:18 pm »
Be careful the remaining fill doesn't suddenly fall away beneath you.

Anyway, well done and good luck.

Online Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #454 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:49 pm »
A really promising sign....well done guys and yes be careful. Can't wait to hear about the next few trips

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #455 on: March 20, 2017, 01:05:26 pm »
Be careful the remaining fill doesn't suddenly fall away beneath you.

Anyway, well done and good luck.

We did have such a discussion yesterday.

We will be very careful.

Mark

Offline Big Jim

• forum star
  • The Eldon, A.N.U.S & Derbyshire Bat Group
« Reply #456 on: March 20, 2017, 01:42:10 pm »
If this gets any more exciting, a bit of wee might escape  :o  Keep going Badgers.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #457 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:48 pm »
Sounds very promising - will have to dust off my SRT kit!

Offline martinb

• forum star
« Reply #458 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:23 pm »
If this gets any more exciting, a bit of wee might escape  :o  Keep going Badgers.

:lol: :lol:

Great work guys!

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, BBPC
« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2017, 01:24:53 pm »
02/04/17 Mark S, Toby, Rachel, Adam W, Mike

The majority of Marks were absent for this one, so I was the sole representative. A rare situation down Eldon. Today's team consisted entirely of current and ex- York University CPC cavers, and two more would have been amongst our ranks had a mysterious decorating deadline not been looming. For the rest of us, the impending Eldon breakthrough deadline was our top priority.

Blue skies and warm sunshine greeted us at Eldon lane. Rachel, Toby and I munched our way through the ever-tasty Peveril Stores sandwiches picked up en-route through Castleton, and the Walmslers Waggon soon arrived replete with brioche covering most of the dashboard. The pleasant weather made for a leisurely change, and we enjoyed a rare unladen walk over without the burden of clips, poles or boards.

Toby and I were first down to the bottom, and we knew that dogleg Mk.3 was going to have to be installed fairly early on. We measured and chopped the poles for the next roof while the others cleared the ledge, accompanied by music from Adam's chunky speakers. A Bluetooth sound system is certainly the sign of a good dig. The problem is, the dig is now so deep that you can't hear the music at all from the bottom! It wasn't long at all before the ledge was clear and the poles cut, so we shuffled around and made the most of having 5 people present by hauling bucket after bucket from the bottom.

Having made sufficient downward progress the others paused for some lunch while Mike and I installed the cut poles for the new roof and drove them in a short way. A large boulder in the direction we were heading clearly needed removing, and fell out of the wall with little persuasion. There was scepticism about what we could do with this monster without our usual capping gear, but plenty of brute force saw it up most of the shaft, and a person-counterweight got it over the lip at the top.

The afternoon consisted of more music, more hauling, and more progress. The cool draught was again with us from start to finish, and during the last digging shift of the day, we seemed to be leaving behind our layer of claggy mud and gravel, and larger clean blocks were coming out from below. Even more pleasingly, the wall we're following was just giving the impression of undercutting at the limit of what I could see. A solid roof would be a real luxury!

After we reconvened at the top, Toby offered round the BeanBoozled he'd brought with him. I got away with popcorn flavour, but after Toby had tucked into a baby-wipe flavoured one, enthusiasm for them seemed to dwindle. At this point Rachel reminded me that I'd brought my camera with me and hadn't taken any photos. Whoops. While the first two headed out of the shaft, I took a few rushed pictures of the dig before we made a quick exit under the still-blue sky just after 6 pm.

Everyone was feeling optimistic after our day's digging. Importantly it's still perfectly possible to dig at the bottom and haul to the top with a team of 4, so further progress should be steady. I can't wait for the next one.

Photos to follow...

Online Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #460 on: April 03, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »
Thanks for the update - sounds like a productive session

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, BBPC
« Reply #461 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:33 am »
As promised, here are a few photos. I've attached lower quality versions as well in case the link URLs change in future.

Looking down the upper section of the shaft.

Rachel on the swing over the bottom section of the shaft.

Meet the new roof, same as the old roof. Adam models our favourite crowbar.

A sunny exit.

Offline MJenkinson

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #462 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:31 am »
Wow. That's some progress since I last looked down there!

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:47 pm »
Nice one folks, hope it goes somewhere

Offline Antwan

• junky
  • YSS
    • 3peaksuk.org
« Reply #464 on: April 04, 2017, 08:50:54 pm »
I offered a three section aluminum ladder to this dig a while ago to someone (cant remember who), anyway, never got around to arranging a drop off so the offer is still here?

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #465 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:23 pm »
Antwan,

We would like to take you up on that offer of a 3 section ladder, it will be very useful. PM me and we will try and arrange the handover.

Cheers,

Mark

Online Roger W

• forum hero
« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2017, 02:38:06 am »
Has Madphil got one of the sections?
"That, of course, is the dangerous part about caves:  you don't know how far they go back, sometimes... or what is waiting for you inside."   JRR Tolkein: "The Hobbit"

Online cavefinder

« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2017, 04:25:44 pm »
That's a great job. Some serious scaffolding there, certainly a safe working space . It's always a great idea to leave the dig with a visible void or a distinctive draught so that you have something to encourage a quick return. When you have a winch installed let me know as at my age I don't do SRT anymore.
                                                              :thumbsup:

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, BBPC
« Reply #468 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:49 pm »
16/04/17

Mark S, Toby, Adam W, Cat, Andy V, Ivor

Enthusiasm and optimism were in abundance after our last dig: our steady draught had been with us throughout, we'd successfully started the new roof section, and the floor looked to be getting looser beneath us. It's always a dangerous game heading to a dig with high expectations.

We had a team of six on Easter Sunday, including the first visit to the dig for Cat and Andy. In typical fashion a large enthusiastic team coincided with a requirement to spend some time scaffolding. This meant that feeling somewhat out of my depth, I had to step into the sizeable shoes of our chief scaffolding consultant. Size twelves I think. After some pondering we sent up an order for a few bespoke pole lengths to extend the new roof the to the full width of the shaft, and we installed some much needed support at the corner of the roof, pinned (we hope) to a solid piece of wall.

After an hour or so, we were in a position to get going, and we sent the dig-newcomers to the bottom. Buckets came up thick and fast as the shaft continued its downward progress. Aching limbs ensued for those of us that had just spent two days hauling the huge metal tub out of alum, so we decided not to finish too late to ensure we still had strength for digging again the next day.

Sadly the hint of an undercut of the wall we are following failed to translate to reality, but the draught is still ever-blowing.

Onwards and downwards...

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:14 pm »
17/04/17

Mark W, Mark S, Mark R, Adam, Cat, Andy, TomTom, Tim Allen.

After a Full English at the Yonderman Cafe the team headed up Eldon Lane for the second digging trip of the weekend. The first job was getting all the additional scaffold tubes roped up ready for taking down the shaft. The second job was me getting out of carrying any of them up the hill. Instead I was given a tackle bag by Mark R to carry up, not realising it contained a large bag of scaffold fittings that were just as heavy as the tubes. I should have known better.

With the team and equipment in the Main Chamber we wasted no time in inspecting the work carried out the previous day. Most impressive. The bottom of the shaft was certainly looking good with the strong draught blowing as strong as ever.

Everyone was kept busy either loading buckets, hauling, emptying buckets or cutting and fitting new scaffold tubes and it wasn't long before we had reached a depth from the floor of the Main Chamber of 15.1m, we finally got round to measuring it.

Tim Allen arrived around lunchtime to lend a hand and more bucket loads were hauled out during the afternoon session, including a brief photographic session led by Mark R. He will hopefully post some of the photographs on here shortly.

The base of the shaft is now looking very interesting with some very large calcited boulders in the floor. Could these be the second shaft capping stones?

Who knows, but we'd like to think so.

It was good having a second opinion from Tim who thought the dig face was looking very promising. We were all ready for calling it a day around 3pm but Tim insisted on us digging for another hour before retiring to the Devonshire Arms for a well deserved pint.

Can't wait for the next trip.

Mark

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2017, 01:04:58 pm »
Sounds good. Are you deeper than the older dig now?
In search of taverns measureless to man

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:04 pm »
Sounds good. Are you deeper than the older dig now?

I can't remember how deep the original dig was but we are probably a couple of metres below the bottom of the original dig.

Mark

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2017, 02:21:21 pm »
Nice. Has there been anything left of the old one, are you digging down through the remains of the old one or going somewhere new?

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2017, 02:39:05 pm »
The constriction is at the level we are currently at. It was an awkward squeeze you had to go through to reach the bottom of the original dig. Its not there any more and it wont be long before all traces of the original dig are gone.

Rough sketch I made at the time of our original dig, showing the awkward constriction....

Jase

Here is a sketch of the original dig. Our dig goes straight down between F and D with a few doglegs going off to the left of the sketch.

If you want to get a better feel for the dig, come along and join us.

Mark

Offline Speleotron

• obsessive maniac
  • YUCPC, ULSA
« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2017, 02:45:57 pm »
OK thanks. I am keen to dig but I've got problems with a trapped nerve in the back which seems to go off randomly so don't want to risk it until I've had a long time without it being a problem.