Author Topic: Mossdale - Ouroborous project  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
Re: Mossdale - Ouroborous project
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »
Something aside from everything else and possible fuel for the fire!

http://simonbeck.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/mossdale-session-29-281217.html

Offline David Rose

• forum star
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:49 pm »
"The night of this place is absolute.' I love it. Another great write-up, Simon.

Offline Stuart Anderson

• forum hero
  • Yorkshire Subterranean Society - A.N.U.S.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 07:50:08 pm »
"The night of this place is absolute.' I love it. Another great write-up, Simon.

Couldn't agree more.
I've roamed and rambled and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
And all around me a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

Offline Kenilworth

• forum star
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:10 pm »
Enjoyable as always Simon.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 08:22:21 pm »
Excellent.   :thumbsup:
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline blackshiver

• menacing presence
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 10:58:11 pm »
Excellent read Simon, and nice to read that Richard is still looking after you. Your exploratory efforts in Mossdale and association with RDG make you a honorary Moldywarp!
I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel.

Offline Balmerfish

• Adele Ward WRPC
  • regular
    • White Rose Pothole Club.
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 11:26:27 pm »
Enjoyed reading these mate.
Adele
We’re in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a Sticky bun.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• regular
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 08:22:49 pm »
Great stuff Simon. Q branch ready.

Andy

Online Ian Ball

• forum star
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 06:58:03 am »
 :thumbsup:y

Offline cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 08:41:50 am »
Dedication man deduction  :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 09:08:28 am »
Good to see base jacks in use. Also having time for photos. Will post some of mine one day.

Offline danthecavingman

• forum star
  • Don't follow too close.....
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 02:04:45 pm »
Presumably water levels are exceptionally low right now?
You see that Taxus baccata.........that's Yew that is........

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 06:01:34 pm »
looking forward to hear the next instalments :thumbsup:.

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 07:24:51 pm »
As you can imagine I'd rather be up there working than wasting the weather writing about it. I'll be desk bound for a good few days when I do finally get round to it!

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 10:27:44 pm »
As you can imagine I'd rather be up there working than wasting the weather writing about it.

... is the correct answer!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 05:44:05 pm »
Finally got a chance to sit down and write-up at least some of my backlog. More to follow shortly if I can stick at it.

Mossdale Sessions 46 - 49 http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/07/mossdale-sessions-46-49.html

Mossdale Sessions 50 - 51 http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/07/mossdale-sessions-50-51.html

Online MJenkinson

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:07 pm »
As I am about to disappear for a week or so with work, its always good to know that I have some good "caving" reading to be doing, if I can't be doing it myself!

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 03:58:50 pm »

Online Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:30 pm »
Fantastic read and it really sounds like you have made quite a few small extensions.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session

Online Mr Dinwiddy

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:20 pm »
Latest updates:
http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-session-69.html
Thanks for the latest instalment Simon. I know you said somewhere you find the write-ups draining but please keep them coming. First the story is gripping and I want to hear the next instalment and second your writing style is engaging and atmospheric. Cheers

Offline Simon Beck

• obsessive maniac
    • Legends Session
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25:35 pm »
Strangely enough I was in the process of adding the latest three. Slow going I'm afraid. The less I interact with the place the harder I find the write-ups, the disagreeable weather is the cause in this case. A few more to go.

Mossdale Sessions 67-68 http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-sessions-67-68.html

Mossdale Session 69 http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-session-69.html

Offline Clive G

• menacing presence
  • a flowstone wall a few metres to one side . . .
    • Clive Gardener Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:56 pm »
Strangely enough I was in the process of adding the latest three. Slow going I'm afraid. The less I interact with the place the harder I find the write-ups, the disagreeable weather is the cause in this case. A few more to go.

Mossdale Sessions 67-68 http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-sessions-67-68.html

Mossdale Session 69 http://simonbeck.blogspot.com/2018/09/mossdale-session-69.html

I was reading your reports with great interest as you wrote this! Years ago (early 1980s) I made up a file of reports of pushing Mossdale with a view to going there one day, but that day has still to come . . . Remember that if the draught picks up noticeably whilst you're underground it's probably been caused by a significant change in temperature outside or there is considerably more water flowing through the system. If the draught stops then there will probably be a sump somewhere between the deep cave and the entrance.

At present I haven't got my file and survey to hand to see where you are digging, but the progress sounds very promising with more to follow. Imagine the possible open passage ahead (especially from the draught) but don't try and visualise it or assume it's going to continue a long way until you actually experience things for real. It's a balancing act between opening your mind to possibilities but corking down otherwise euphoric enthusiasm until it's really all there in the hand. I found the way into and pushed Northern Stream Passage in Agen Allwedd (off the mouth of the Southern Stream Passage and Main Passage junction) for some distance on my own, until I realised that it would be more fun enjoying experiencing 'caverns measureless to man' for the first time with other people. Also, if you end up with too many new obstacles stacked behind you to get back through, with possible moving rocks along the way, you need to have left very good instructions with the person who would initiate any callout. A pea whistle is a good way to announce your presence when shouting or banging on rock might otherwise have little effect!

Mike Boon turned up from Canada or wherever at the BCRA Conference around the mid-1980s and we met. He didn't use many words - it was all in the eyes - and I think he would be well pleased with the efforts you are making. He got lost in the cave and mentally challenged to the point of tears by Ken Pearce who picked the correct way on towards the exit, probably because he was more tuned in to where the way on may be found and was being led by his inner voice. Perhaps read or reread his chapter on the cave in 'Down to a Sunless Sea' (1977) and see if he can assist where there are choices to be made - to help dispel the shadow of Ken Pearce's challenge.