Author Topic: Ethical shopping  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Kenilworth

• forum star
Re: Ethical shopping
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 01:49:03 pm »
Anyway, is shopping at any supermarket ethical?

I remember as a little kid that there were 4 corner shops/grocers within a few minutes walk of home. They all knew who I was and where I lived. Most of the customers in these shops knew me and each other. They talked to each other. It was what used to know as 'a community' These local shops also employed local people. Supermarkets have certainly helped in destroying 'community' and localised jobs.

Of course there are no ethical supermarkets, but the problem is not entirely the fault of the retailer/consumers interface. It is complex and involves the soil and individual greed and ignorance and shortsightedness and collective ambition and community and courage and thousands of years of history. So Simon's "simple answer" is probably the most clueless assertion I have seen made on the topic. While cheapness has contributed enormously to to the development of ruinous and immoral products and sales, the problem cannot be corrected by reversing our buying by price. It is not possible, in any real sense, to buy quality at a supermarket. All we're doing by that attempt is flushing extra money down the chute, reinforcing conceit, and maintaining, not changing, the status quo.

Offline ttxela2

• regular
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 02:23:59 pm »
Our village petrol station is quite good, a few years back it was just an ordinary petrol station with a generic sort of petrol station shop selling beer, fags and sweets.

Then they built a new building which houses the petrol station tills, a small Budgens with an independent butchers counter, a small area set aside for the local fruit farm and there is a gym in the roofspace and a hand car wash out the back.

The old shop has been divided up and now has a fish and chip shop, café, hairdressers and dance studio.

I rarely buy groceries anywhere else these days  :thumbsup:

Offline Simon Wilson

• forum hero
    • IC Resin Anchor
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
That's an example of the 'quality' I'm talking about and which I don't mind paying for.

Offline droid

• forum hero
  • WMRG
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2018, 03:31:50 pm »
But it isn't supermarket 'quality'.

Anyone that thinks they are going to get *proper* quality in almost any supermarket is deluded.
No longer 'Exceptionally antagonistic' 'Deliberately inflammatory'

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:12 pm »
You get "standardised"