Author Topic: Photography Showcase 3 per week limit  (Read 19831 times)

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
Re: Photography Showcase 3 per week limit
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2020, 10:32:39 pm »

I was never sure that when this thread was started as a " Showcase " it was meant to show the very best work of talented cave photographers or mere snappings of the less talented folk like myself. For the moment I have assumed that it is open to the work of all cave photographers. Even those most humble. Clearly folk like me can never aspire to show the great images posted by our friend " Chunky ". Many of these from far away places folk on a pension could never afford to visit. I rather think "Chunky" is a tad more assiduous in the creation of his images than me. Just chucking a couple of slave fired Yonguos on a rock and hoping for the best might not feature in such great works. But. I say but. Does that mean we " Happy Snappers " ( a Mr.O'Doc term ) have no place on such an esteemed thread? Ah maybe not. I visited the National Gallery in London this weekend and gazed in awe at the work of the great masters. The work and skill of painters like Constable and Van Gough. Few could match that today. Art is art. Photography is art. Are artists like Banksy and Da Vinci any different in their concept of what art should be? Have both the same talent? A photograph is only an amalgamation of two basic things. One is composition and to me, that is the most important. With some, it is the innate understanding of what looks   " right ". There are rules but they are there to be broken. If we followed those rules all photos would look the same. So when composing an image lets first look at doing it differently. Somewhere on Google Image will be the image that you are about to compose. Then let there be light. That will make or break the composition. If there be a third element it is time. How long you want to be involved in the composition. The big question too. Does your image tell a story? Now that might well be the crux of the matter regarding this thread. Do you want to see photographic masterpieces that the word " Showcase " implies? Will you settle for " less " but be able to relate more to the "moment " or the story that the image imparts. Again my personal view is that we all can tell a story, capture a moment on film that might be unrepeatable. We can appreciate the great skill that " Chunky " posesses but we should not be put off by it. We should not feel that we can never be as good as that and in some way we are parading our lack of skills by daring to contribute. No Banksy is not Da Vinci. Turner is not Van Gough. ( I just had to see The Fighting Temeraire yesterday.) One more element then. Lets have fun. Let's have a laugh. In doing so let's look at characters and see them as such rather than as models. Lets see something of the personality hidden below the caving helmet. Cavers are people after all.
So what is gained by this ramble? Well, something I have said for years on this forum. It is the least illustrated of all my hobby forums. Caving photography is inexpensive and one of the rare types of art whereby you control everything. The composition, the light and usually the model though I really hate asking people to pose. Ultimately if you have any agreement with this let's see some proof of it. Let's see lots more images. They might not be technically brilliant but they may excel in other areas. That hardly makes them less relevant, does it?

The idea of the thread was/is to give a platform for people to show off shots they want to share with others...period

Looking back over the thread it is great to see that so many people have participated and equally gratifying that others have liked and commented on a wide variety of styles of photography.

Right from my very first point and click pics I have shared them every chance I've had as it gives me pleasure and although my kit and style have changed over the years the enjoyment of sharing my shots remain.
For me I don't take photos to then not share them, so I'd encourage anyone who has taken the time and effort to photograph underground to show off their shots.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Offline JoshW

• stalker
  • WSCC, YSS
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2020, 06:42:51 am »

I was never sure that when this thread was started as a " Showcase " it was meant to show the very best work of talented cave photographers or mere snappings of the less talented folk like myself. For the moment I have assumed that it is open to the work of all cave photographers. Even those most humble. Clearly folk like me can never aspire to show the great images posted by our friend " Chunky ". Many of these from far away places folk on a pension could never afford to visit. I rather think "Chunky" is a tad more assiduous in the creation of his images than me. Just chucking a couple of slave fired Yonguos on a rock and hoping for the best might not feature in such great works. But. I say but. Does that mean we " Happy Snappers " ( a Mr.O'Doc term ) have no place on such an esteemed thread? Ah maybe not. I visited the National Gallery in London this weekend and gazed in awe at the work of the great masters. The work and skill of painters like Constable and Van Gough. Few could match that today. Art is art. Photography is art. Are artists like Banksy and Da Vinci any different in their concept of what art should be? Have both the same talent? A photograph is only an amalgamation of two basic things. One is composition and to me, that is the most important. With some, it is the innate understanding of what looks   " right ". There are rules but they are there to be broken. If we followed those rules all photos would look the same. So when composing an image lets first look at doing it differently. Somewhere on Google Image will be the image that you are about to compose. Then let there be light. That will make or break the composition. If there be a third element it is time. How long you want to be involved in the composition. The big question too. Does your image tell a story? Now that might well be the crux of the matter regarding this thread. Do you want to see photographic masterpieces that the word " Showcase " implies? Will you settle for " less " but be able to relate more to the "moment " or the story that the image imparts. Again my personal view is that we all can tell a story, capture a moment on film that might be unrepeatable. We can appreciate the great skill that " Chunky " posesses but we should not be put off by it. We should not feel that we can never be as good as that and in some way we are parading our lack of skills by daring to contribute. No Banksy is not Da Vinci. Turner is not Van Gough. ( I just had to see The Fighting Temeraire yesterday.) One more element then. Lets have fun. Let's have a laugh. In doing so let's look at characters and see them as such rather than as models. Lets see something of the personality hidden below the caving helmet. Cavers are people after all.
So what is gained by this ramble? Well, something I have said for years on this forum. It is the least illustrated of all my hobby forums. Caving photography is inexpensive and one of the rare types of art whereby you control everything. The composition, the light and usually the model though I really hate asking people to pose. Ultimately if you have any agreement with this let's see some proof of it. Let's see lots more images. They might not be technically brilliant but they may excel in other areas. That hardly makes them less relevant, does it?

The idea of the thread was/is to give a platform for people to show off shots they want to share with others...period

Looking back over the thread it is great to see that so many people have participated and equally gratifying that others have liked and commented on a wide variety of styles of photography.

Right from my very first point and click pics I have shared them every chance I've had as it gives me pleasure and although my kit and style have changed over the years the enjoyment of sharing my shots remain.
For me I don't take photos to then not share them, so I'd encourage anyone who has taken the time and effort to photograph underground to show off their shots.

Well said. I like seeing all photos on here from your multiple flash setups to long exposure type shots, and use them as inspiration for technical lighting, framing and model placement.

Obviously some people’s shots are more advanced than others (including mine), and I would hope they wouldn’t be disheartened or not want to share their shots in this thread, but rather feel inspired to share their shots in this thread.

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2020, 09:13:37 am »
I too appreciate all of the photos posted on this thread - just recently, Christine's lovely shots of cave diving (love the bubbles), OR's shot of the apprentice in training and Hubby in Mulu by Chunky.

Please, everyone do keep posting.... and those viewing it takes a second to click that 'Like' button and show your appreciation, thank you  :thumbsup: ;D

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2020, 10:43:35 am »
This is the lake in Pridhamsleigh Cavern, Devon. Several flashes fired by wireless using a Canon G12.

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:59 am »

This is the lake in Pridhamsleigh Cavern, Devon. Several flashes fired by wireless using a Canon G12.

Nice, never caved in Devon, makes me want to go

Offline mrodoc

• forum hero
    • Peter Glanvill's Webpage
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2020, 12:23:56 pm »
Let me know and I'll take you round.

Offline JoshW

• stalker
  • WSCC, YSS
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »

Nice shot, appreciate the extra technical details in the text as well. Will try and add these myself when contributing to this thread  :)

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2020, 02:02:54 pm »
Let me know and I'll take you round.
Nice, will keep you to that :)

Offline The Old Ruminator

• forum hero
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2020, 09:19:21 am »
One from this week. Sort of a portrait cum action shot which I like doing as I don't have to ask folk to pose. Upgraded the digging camera to a TG4 as my    " best" is now a new TG6. Try as I might I could not destroy the old TG2 so I have given it to our " apprentice " who may well become a great cave photographer one day. ( though that remains unlikely under my tuition ). The process this week during one digging session. Take about 100 photos on Programme with flash set to fill in. ( the flash may not fire for close-ups with auto flash as it picks up too much ambient light.)

P2040100 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

On this occasion, the camera gave f2 at 1/30 sec, 200  ISO.

Offline chunky

• forum star
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2020, 06:41:30 pm »
Some of mine from the recent Laos expedition. More on my Instagram @joshwhite992

Love the Gours shot, very nice  :thumbsup:

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2020, 10:44:17 am »
Let's see lots more images. They might not be technically brilliant but they may excel in other areas.

TOR, your post has prompted me to post one of mine. A 1st experiment for me using long exposure. We had a team of 3 in a big space without any photo kit apart from a camera. It ended up as a combination of 6 photos, each lit with just a Fenix HP10 and/or a Rude Nora 2. It is in Lagangs Cave in Mulu.

• forum hero
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2020, 02:31:34 pm »
We had an acronym in diving KISS. It meant keep it simple stupid. Quite often the simple works best and more subdued lighting adds an air of mystery to a subject. Many of the classic photographs of the past are simple. The subject takes precedence over the technical. I was adding images to a Facebook Group for Somerset. I rarely bother now as many are Photoshopped into such an unnatural state that to me they look awful. Now editing tools are fine. I rarely let anything go without using one. Sadly the tendency now is to " overcook " everything. That's not to imply criticism to anything here. Ultimately it's all about what I have been banging on about for years. You don't need expensive kit. All you need is to train yourself to " see " an image before you work the camera. You then might step back and see how you can do it differently. Angles and light. My son is a very good landscape photographer. We went to a beach in Somerset where shingles and wooden posts make a great image with the sea and light adding to the effect. He spent ages setting up and getting wet. We looked at Google image when we got home. Dozens of photographers had done exactly the same thing. Great atmospheric shots but all the same. They all saw the subject the same way because it was the best way embodying all of the things that come together to make a great image. A while back I said that cave photography was becoming formulaic. I still think that is partly true. A smiling model with reverse flash sited behind. It works well but everyone does it. So it comes down to style and being a photo historian I can put a photographer's name to many images I see. The photographer has a style peculiar to him or herself. Nothing wrong with that. The photographic " rules " are there to be interpreted whichever way you want. You have great control over caving images. The light, the composition is all yours to do with what you want. A black pallet if you like. So what that you might use the old BLF rule now interpreted into taking many images to pick through at home. One will probably be exactly what you thought would work in the cave. I rarely spend more than a few minutes taking a photograph but I might take 10 or so to improve the odds. With the Yongnuos you soon learn which settings to use in advance of the shot. I usually start at 1/64 then dial up or back if necessary. The Skyray lamp helps to focus and can pick up distant points. It can also make a good backlight too. Use flash fill in on simple Programme shots as flash auto might not fire if the camera picks up helmet light. I write these things not to tell folks what to do but to encourage them to take and show photos particularly here. Ultimately its all quite easy and inexpensive. Well, at least the above might be the result of my ramblings. Well done that man.

Offline Laurie

• forum hero
  • Tony from Suffolk can't see me.
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2020, 04:17:43 pm »
Lighten it or darken it, cool it or warm it is all the post processing I do.
Just to make up for my or my printer's vaguaries, a reasonable camera will do the rest for you.
MNRC

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2020, 11:08:14 pm »
With respect to cave photographs, I find that one of the most useful ‘post-snap’ buttons is the one that allows you to lighten the shadows and darken the highlights, with mainly minor adjustments to the contrast etc.

However, this has got nothing to do with caving, but everything to do with post-processing. 10 days ago I was in Granada and had the ‘obligatory’ trip to the Alhambra Palace, where I took this absolutely stunning, amazing picture of the Patio de los Leones (AKA the Court of the Lions). Unfortunately I did not notice that the glasses I held in my left-hand hand had somehow snook into the shot. So I figured that a bit of post-processing was in order:

1) Straighten the image.
2) Get rid of the out-of-focus glasses.
3) While you’re at it, get rid of the people and bits of fencing.
4) Do something about the shrouds surrounding the restoration work in progress in the left hand side of the picture, just visible through the arches on the left-hand side; I figured that since the place is quite symmetrical, then I could copy the picture, reverse it left-to-right, and clone the arches on the ‘true’ right into the ‘true’ left. Simple, huh?

Watch this space!!!

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2020, 09:33:16 am »
OK – here's the 'after' shot:

Offline andys

• Outside its dropped to under zero, but I'm warm on here as a
  • forum hero
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2020, 02:01:55 pm »
Great pic John - and great improvement. Just for interest, I thought I'd go a bit further and straighten the image more to remove the "slope" at upper right, and give both tthe red and blue a minor boost to "warm it up" a bit. Anyway, here's my take.

Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2020, 02:08:04 pm »
Thanks, andys; by straightening it you've got rid of the strip of light coloured stone on the right-hand side, which improves things (I could've just cropped it a bit more, of course).

• forum hero
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2020, 09:37:46 am »
I suppose one has to ask if the dreaded " Selfie " has any place in cave photography. I sometimes do one for record-keeping purposes and it saves time by using myself as the model. One from this week. The stalagmite has miraculously survived when this huge block fell on it some 50 years ago. More to the point the stalagmite has stopped the block falling even further and blocking the passage. Now I suppose you could say that no other idiot would stand so close to such a perilous contrivance. Well, there might be some truth in that.

P2110024 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:09 pm »
I suppose one has to ask if the dreaded " Selfie " has any place in cave photography.

I think that one has to decide for oneself, and if any self-styled 'purist' objects, then  – too bad. If you'r happy with your photographs, well and good – if you're not, you strive to do better. For what it's worth, I think that the selfie you posted is a nice shot.

• forum hero
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2020, 03:39:00 pm »
Fulk you have inspired me to write a poem. Personally I think that you and I are both a bit odd. Ahh but the ultimate character crime is to be bland. Much better to be odd.

The Boulder.

Boulder, boulder on the wall.
I would die if you should fall.

Let me pass and you might stay.
We can meet another day.

"Mr. Trundle's I Scream Parlour" near.
Fingers squashed and screams I hear.

You and I have friendship close.
I trust that you will not be loose.

To fall and batter poor old Nick.
You would not do such a nasty trick.

Yet trust can go and I relent.
Now fixed in with cement.

O.R.

• forum hero
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:04 pm »
We can still be friends ---

P2110045 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Offline Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2020, 05:22:02 pm »
Personally I think that you [and I] are [both] a bit odd.

You're not the first person to say that.  ;D