Author Topic: Why do you go caving?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
Re: Why do you go caving?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 08:10:39 pm »

the "caving community" sneers at individuals who operate outside of it, or even within it using "outdated" or "inadequate" or "non-standard" gear or methods.

I wonder what your yank mates and their gear snobbery would have made of the photos of Rick Stanton in Thailand recently with a car inner tube strapped to his back for buoyancy and a homemade line reel made out of plumbing pipe and cable ties?

One of the things I like best about the UK caving community is the lack of gear snobbery. In fact, I tend to hold cavers with the most tattered and improvised gear in the highest of respect. Anyone can go out and buy all the latest kit. It takes experience to adapt and make your own. It takes patience and commitment to repair old kit to keep it going.

I should point out that I am not advocating using worn out or dangerous safety equipment  :o
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Wolfo

• DIY Maniac
  • regular
    • ArgeKH
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:51 pm »
You're from the US, Kenilworth?

I use a lot of selfmade gear on my personal trips. Never had any problems, but I also would never do any trip with notorious worrywards.
Another point is about grotto equipment/rental  or rescue stuff/teams, there I see the strong need of standardized gear.
Lower Saxony - Harz Mountain Area - Germany

Offline NewStuff

• Vocal proponent of Open Access
  • forum star
  • www.dddwhcc.com
    • Deep Dark Dirty WetHoles
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 08:19:43 pm »
I think it's been said - There is not much gear snobbery over here, you make out that the US has a lot of it. You also make out other things that other US cavers flatly refute, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Over here - If it works, it works.

I think most experienced cavers can cast an eye over something and get an inkling about it being suitable or otherwise. If you have a truly novel piece of kit, like the Turbochest when it first came out, you'll get lots of questions. Not snobbery, not "that won't work", but genuine, interested questions. I still get the odd question about the Turbofoot - I'm the only person I know using it, most people haven't seen one before. I've yet to encounter anyone telling me I should stick to a Pantin.
Permission? Wassat den?