Author Topic: Wardlow Sough Reopening - DCA Project  (Read 3895 times)

Offline DCA

• the DCA
Wardlow Sough Reopening - DCA Project
« on: July 17, 2019, 09:48:20 am »
Reopening Wardlow Sough (Cressbrook Dale) – September 2019
The DCA is working with Natural England (Derbyshire Dales National Nature Reserve team) to reopen and secure the tail of Wardlow Sough in Cressbrook Dale. The sough was dug open in the 1970s but has since collapsed in as the surrounding hillock has slumped. The public footpath running above the sough tail has been diverted for some time as the small shake hole continues to settle. Permission has now been granted from English Heritage for work on this Scheduled Monument site. It is hoped that by reopening the sough and lining the tunnel, the ground will stabilise, and the footpath can be reinstated back to its original route. Once the adit is open, it will be secured with a gate and Derbyshire Key system and will be accessible by cavers much like Neptune Mine a short way down the Dale.

In simple terms, the job will require the digging open of the sough tail, the installation of a very large pipe, the burying of the pipe and then the fitting of a caver gate. Labour and energy are the most valuable resources DCA need for this job, especially as it needs doing in one stint ideally, so the sough tail is not left open. Digging must be done manually as heavy machinery are not permitted to move around on the fragile ecosystem surrounding the sough.

The DCA need volunteers to help with this job. Be part of something that cavers will appreciate for generations to come. We are anticipating that this project will potentially need 5-7 days depending on numbers involved. We are not asking you to be present throughout, even a single day can help greatly. If you would like to help you should complete the following Doodle Poll to show which days you are offering to assist. Please update the poll if you become unavailable again but do try to commit as the job needs planning around the days when there are enough people available. We hope to start on the 7th of September, but there will be the odd day of preliminary work done during August. If you struggle to use the Doodle Poll please contact the DCA Projects Officer direct, but the poll is the simplest way of recording who is available and when.
Doodle Poll: https://doodle.com/poll/wu4vgizqvxr78mr7

You will ideally have your own gloves and steel toe boots / wellingtons. DCA can provide most necessary PPE, but it is easier if you can supply some of your own. I anyone can supply their own pick or shovel would save DCA buying more. A full plan and list of recommended stuff to bring will be provided in due course. One major stipulation is that you must be a BCA member, either directly, through your club or via DCA/PDMHS etc. This job is being done under BCA’s insurance so everyone involved must be a member.

Many thanks in advance for the offers of help.
Pete Knight
DCA Projects Officer
Derbyshire Caving Association

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
  • Peak Instruction, DCMC, DCA, PICA, TSG, DCRO
    • Peak Instruction

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Wardlow Sough Reopening - DCA Project
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 05:58:24 pm »
In that middle (black and white) image, do I recognise John Beck, Andy Broadbent, Terry Jackson and Bill Whitehouse? (And maybe even Mick Knott?)

Online Mark Wright

• forum star
  • NCC, BBPC
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:08:45 pm »
In that middle (black and white) image, do I recognise John Beck, Andy Broadbent, Terry Jackson and Bill Whitehouse? (And maybe even Mick Knott?)

I'm not sure about Mick Knott but that's Maggie beside John and it looks like the late Ray Fairholme behind Andy.

Mark

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:29:24 pm »
Ah yes, now I see Ray Fairholme. Thanks Mark!

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:08:25 pm »
Pretty good response on the doodle page so far, even if only half the people there can make it we'll be very well staffed, might even be able to pick up a few other stray jobs in the dale while we're at it!
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:32 pm »
Mick Hasney & Keith Bottoms also

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:58 pm »
The good old days when you could dig where ever you wanted pretty much, if you behaved yourself no one got upset, and just let you get on with it.

Online bograt

• forum hero
  • Speliodecrepit
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 09:47:34 am »
Are you sure that's not Ted Mullins opposite Andy in front row?, I think Bill would be behind the camera.
Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 09:50:35 am »
Ah - quite possibly.

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 05:48:36 pm »
Are you sure that's not Ted Mullins opposite Andy in front row?, I think Bill would be behind the camera.

No thats definitely Bill, even that far back some cameras had a timer on them

Offline Mark

• forum hero
  • Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 05:53:18 pm »
Might not be as big a job as you think

Extract from John Beck's Diary

Sunday 22nd July 1978

To Wardlow Sough with Andrew, Buster, and Johnny. We blocked the entrance and Buster walled it up.
We placed plastic pipes in the floor for the water.

I went and began to dig the second sough shaft, but it looks as though the ginging has fallen in.

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 06:21:01 pm »
The timbering in the photos is probably long gone, so how far in to solid ground? From Rieuwerts quadrilogy it appears to run to a blockage about 900' in, but may be a couple of miles long? Did any digging take place when it was reopened before, what are the prospects in more detail. Supposedly driven on the sole of the vein, so what state were the roof and any false floors further in?

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »
Thanks for all the responses so far. We should have a good selection of labourers in September. Keep your eyes peeled on here and DCA social media for an update closer to the time, but we'll be starting on the 7th of September.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 07:19:10 am »
Wardlow Sough update 23/08/2019
Thanks to everyone who completed the Doodle poll or emailed offers of help. We now need to make contact with you directly. DCA will be starting work at the sough on the 7th of September. There are details that need to be communicated to volunteers in advance of them turning up and we need to make sure we are not short handed or massively over staffed on any day.
Please can you email the Projects Officer to confirm you are still available on any dates between the 7th & 13th Sept. We can then do a mass email with more info and a nightly email to update everyone about our need for volunteers each day. Please email, don't just turn up on the day, as some days we won't need many people.
https://thedca.org.uk/home/contacts/canda-contacts

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 08:01:51 am »
If you offered to help the DCA with Wardlow Sough next week, I have sent an email out this morning. If you don't receive an email about this and were expecting to, it is because I either don't have your email or just missed you off accidentally. Email through the DCA website or PM it to me here. I'm only dealing with this via email group as I can't keep track of 15 different conversations via FB or forums.
Pete K
DCA Projects Officer

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 10:06:28 am »
Hi all. DCA volunteers are breaking ground on this job tomorrow! Can't believe it is here already and I'm rather nervous as usual before a big important job.
If anyone else can spare a few hours this week, we'd love to have you along. Especially on Sunday (8th), this is the one day that we're looking a little shy on help. Mainly moving buckets of soil and spoil about 10m or digging in stints so you don't get knackered. Drop me and email or PM me through here with your email and I'll send you the details.
Please let us know if you're coming in advance.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 05:25:43 pm »
Wardlow Sough day 1 - 7/9/2019
Pete, Julian, Charley, Angus and Damon +1 made a pretty solid start to the dig as can be seen from the before and after pics. Chris and Adam popped by for moral support which was welcomed. No open sough encountered yet, but we can't be far off it (or that's what we tell ourselves).
Find of the day - rabbit skulls and rather a lot of ancient crisp packets.
We'll be back at it tomorrow on site from 10am. More hands welcome as it's looking quite thin on the ground tomorrow. Email or message through the FB page to be added to tonight's email circular.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »
Wardlow Sough day 2 - 8/9/2019
Pete, Julian, Andy F, Roy, Gordon, Beth & Chris were at the coal face today. We’ve got it! We have found the sough. Plenty more to do before the job’s done though but we can see the goal is achievable.
Tomorrow we have the pipe and gate move and hopefully the pipe install after a bit more digging. About a dozen planning on attending tomorrow so we should fly through the jobs. Registered helpers should get an email update shortly.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 05:38:48 pm »
1976 was the last time TSG members were here. Today DCA volunteers have once again set foot in Wardlow Sough.

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 06:54:37 pm »
Great result......well done team. I guess a lot of work to install pipe and finish things off still....

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:24 pm »
Yep, but at least we now know we were not digging a big hole heading for nothing. The open sough appeared about 1 metre below where our mine guru told us to dig last night. Those PDMHS lot know what they are doing! Massive plastic pipe to wrestle in that hole tomorrow and then we have to fill it all in again.

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 08:33:14 pm »
Yes, quite a relief to me to see that the rockhead was within about half a metre of where I'd predicted it would be when I drew up the original proposal! Hoping the rain passes quickly tomorrow so we  can get the pipe in ASAP and crack on with the backfill.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 06:52:25 pm »
Wardlow Sough day 3 - 9/9/2019
Myself, Beth, Chris, Adam, Mark, Nick, Ian, Ann, Katie, Andy, Botch, Mike and Shaun from NE had a rather soggy and muddy day but achieved a load. The pipe moved all the way down the valley like a giant rolling pin and we have stuck it in the hole. The homemade gate is bolted on and some back-filling was also completed today.
Tomorrow we are in with a shout of completing the job, but only if we can get as many people as possible. We will be mainly bucketing spoil into the hole and building a nice little wall with some mortar around the gate. If we can have a big team tomorrow, we can finish it all.
I think I am expecting the following people tomorrow:
Chris (+ dog), Nick, Gordon, Botch, Andy, Nige A & Ann
If you are listed there but can’t come let me know. If you are not listed there and want to come and try the most dangerous slide in Derbyshire, please please please come and help. Let me know if you are coming via email or messaging the FB page.
Tomorrow you will need gloves and lunch. Bring lid and caving suit if you want to have a look in the sough but be warned, it is really hard to get out until we put a ladder in!
10am at the sough or around 8:30/45am in The Yonderman Cafe for a bap and brew

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 09:56:47 pm »
Quote of the day came from Ann after Pete finally managed to climb back up the pipe at its original 6m length - "We did think of doing a Longcliffe haul to get you out but we were enjoying watching you struggle back up the pipe too much"

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 06:14:54 pm »
Wardlow Sough day 4 - 10/9/2019
The job is complete! Well nearly. I need to source and install a ladder inside the pipe as it is really rather too hard to get out of it, being at such a steep angle and very greased with mud. I’ll ping some emails about in a day or so to see who can come and help with that.
I’ll finalise the access agreement over the next few days and issue a proper DCA update. Until then, just hang fire on mass trips to the whopping 40m of passage. I’d be keen to hear from someone who can survey it for us if anyone out there can help. Also, we need to take a few pictures of some inscriptions while they are most visible, so a combined trip for both jobs would be a good plan.
Deepest thanks to everyone who has been involved at any stage of the job, this could not have been done without you incredible people.
Full write up will no doubt follow via DCA channels and Descent.
Thanks again.
Pete Knight, DCA Projects Officer

Online AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:45 pm »
Brilliant job, and as I think I mentioned on Sunday, I know where we can get a steel ladder that could be installed in the pipe.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:43 pm »
Brilliant job, and as I think I mentioned on Sunday, I know where we can get a steel ladder that could be installed in the pipe.
Is that something we could achieve this week? PM me if you want.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 08:55:06 pm »
various bits of ladder knocking around outside the coe at bagshawe. You might need to dig through the nettles a bit. Welcome to anything you find.

Offline SamT

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
    • The Eldon Pothole Club
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 08:55:49 pm »
Oh.. and congratulations on a most excellent effort!

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 10:27:20 am »
I've started a write up and need to credit some photos. At the top of the thread I have been given 8 or so names for these 7 people. Can anyone confirm 100% those who are in this picture for me so I can include it in the article please?

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 01:03:26 pm »
Never mind. Bill has been in touch. For the record:
Above entrance = John Beck and Maggie Broadbent (now Maggie Clucas)
In front of entrance from left = Andy Broadbent, Ray Fairholme, Keith Joule, Mick Hasney, Bill Whitehouse.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 04:53:25 pm »
And we're done! The 2 ladder sections (care of Mike Higgins  :thumbsup:) went in today. Each 2m section is bolted in using 8 x M8 coach screws so they are solid.
Access is as per Neptune Mine, i.e. same Natural England agreement that can be seen here: https://thedca.org.uk/conservation-access/access-agreements/natural-england-access-agreement.
You'll need a Derbyshire Key and remember - righty tighty, lefty loosie.
Digging inside will require permission as this site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, but the local Natural England team are really sound. Contact the DCA Access Officer for details.
A survey and updated description will appear on the DCA Cave Registry soon.

Once again, massive thanks to everyone involved. We have a whole new mine system to play in thanks to you guys!

Offline Jenny P

• forum star
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 05:04:11 pm »
Really an absolutely ace effort! 

Respect to all those involved and particularly to Pete for all the planning and organising which went into this.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 11:22:45 am »
https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/wye/wardlow-sough
You'll notice the photo still needs to be updated, but all the access info is up to date.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2019, 11:59:14 am »

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2019, 03:00:39 pm »

Respect to all those involved and particularly to Pete for all the planning and organising which went into this.

Couldn't have put it better - an excellent result and a really impressive team effort.
You made a very good job of organising that Pete.

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 04:11:29 pm »
Thank you both. I had a lot of great support from Shaun at NE and Adam from PDMHS too.

Offline Mrs Trellis

• British Jobs for British Shirkers
  • junky
  • Daft old bat
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:52 am »

Couldn't have put it better - an excellent result and a really impressive team effort.
You made a very good job of organising that Pete.

Hear hear
Mrs Trellis
Upper Sheeps Bottom
North Wales

Offline LarryFatcat

• stalker
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2019, 12:11:56 am »
the lid has two bolts on it, c24mm, the top one is finger loose and impossible to get tighter, the bottom still needs a spanner

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 09:03:51 am »
I'll go down and nip it up one day. I figured the gate would settle in after a while and need some tweaks. Both nuts were very stiff when installed in September.

Offline Katie

• forum star
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 09:44:04 am »
It is ok though - no one is getting far in at the moment anyway  ;)

If you let me know what needs doing Pete I can do it - I am down there several times a week with the dogs :-)

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 09:50:50 am »
Ah cheers. On the inside of the door is a nut that tightens up towards the door. Nipping that up increases the grip on the door steel between the inside nut and the outside bolt head, allowing the force needed to turn the bolt to be changed. Basically, it wants nipping up a bit tighter against the door so the bolt can't be turned by hand.
Once that is done, the nut on the end of the bolt, the one that holds the locking arm in place, needs to be tightened up as much as possible, trapping the locking arm against the nut you just adjusted against the door. Doing this locks it off, like when you tighten one nut against another. That will stop it coming loose again quickly.
Clear as mud?

Offline Katie

• forum star
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
Thanks Pete, wasn't entirely sure by your description but when I went to look it all made sense.
Both spanner tight again ;-)

Although no one is getting far in anyway at the moment....

The dog was slightly confused, although not at all surprised at the turn this walk had taken......

Offline Boy Engineer

• regular
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2019, 04:49:11 pm »
Looking at the depth of water, we ought to be back up there with a tray of damp clay and a variety of petals and seeds, creating a design showing a team of ne-er do wells rolling a length of twinwall down the Dale.

Offline Katie

• forum star
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 07:10:50 am »
Good idea Boy engineer - maybe we can use actual cow pats to represent the many cow pats we rolled it through?

Offline Pete K

• Pete Knight
  • forum hero
    • Peak Instruction
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 07:13:18 am »
Thanks for sorting that Katie!