Author Topic: Zoom, Skype, Team..  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
Zoom, Skype, Team..
« on: May 14, 2020, 04:08:13 pm »
... Goto, messenger, house party, jitsi etc.  We're all using them now.

Which one wins for you?

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
Re: Zoom, Skype, Team..
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:13:32 pm »
For work, we all use MS Teams, so that is what I've got used to and default to for social use as well.

That said, it's not so good if there are more than 5 people as it only shows the 4 most recent contributors (plus your own thumbnail).
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:45 pm »
I've only really used zoom with groups, but people I know who have used others reckon it is most user friendly - & can choose whether to see everybody (up to about 20), or just whoever's speaking, along with some of others (but can scroll across everyone). Can also break up into discussion groups.

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • BPC, SUSS
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:22:57 pm »
Zoom seems to work well for socially isolated drinking. Our club quizzes are on zoom. Other club chats using Discord

Offline moorebooks

• forum star
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:41:27 pm »
For work, we all use MS Teams, so that is what I've got used to and default to for social use as well.

That said, it's not so good if there are more than 5 people as it only shows the 4 most recent contributors (plus your own thumbnail).

I think you will find MS Teams difficult to use if you don't have the latest windows software. Its fine in a professional setting  but our club tried and a lot of people could not log into it . It took me 2 hours with a brand new laptop but only have office 365 which does not include teams. Microsoft are playing catchup so I understand

Mike

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »
Jitsi is good as it is used via a web front-end with no need to install anything on your computer. It would be nice if there were only one option though as I have had to use five different packages so far with either work, caving club or other organisations...
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:21:22 pm »
What are you all talking about?

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »
That inter-webbie thingummybob...

Here's an explanation:

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 05:29:02 pm »
... discord, google hangouts,...

Edit: damn beaten to discord.

Offline gingerlycolors

• UCET
    • Gregory Collins
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 05:37:06 pm »
I for one had never heard of Zoom until this CoronaBusiness came along. I will be using it with my UCET mates tonight. Nothing beats the pub though, whether it is the Helwith Bridge, Hunters Lodge or Glan yr Afon. Unfortunately you are just as likely to find a pub that's open in Saudi as you are here right now!

Offline Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 05:41:50 pm »

:clap2:  If you're not joking  :)  video conferencing, video chat systems.  You know wot we are all using to keep in touch with our family, friends, clubs, orgs etc

Offline langcliffe

• forum hero
    • Caving Routes in the Northern Dales
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 05:46:55 pm »

:clap2:  If you're not joking  :)  video conferencing, video chat systems.  You know wot we are all using to keep in touch with our family, friends, clubs, orgs etc

No - still no wiser.

Offline paul

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Orpheus CC, NPC
    • Orpheus Caving Club
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 09:07:39 pm »
It's basically a way for a lot of people to see each other on their computer screen and hearing "You're on mute!" quite a lot.
I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are missing!

Offline Robert Scott

• obsessive maniac
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 09:17:46 pm »
About a thousand years ago when I worked in an NHS provider organisation, OK 2010, we as an agile business (several 100s of users including nurses in the community) used Microsoft Lync which eventually became Skype for Business. At first we used video+voice but we soon realised that the Internet infrastructure wouldn’t really support that level of traffic so we dropped down to Voice- only. After all, we knew what each other looked like – sometime a blessing, sometime not.
So moving on.
The Internet infrastructure now supports video+voice with ease.
The club meets for a drink on Friday evening. The chairman has arranged for an inexpensive extension to the basic Zoom package. Zoom seems to work perfectly well and its developers are enhancing its security features more than weekly.
Even my pre-teen granddaughters have dropped Google Hangouts and now contact us using Zoom. How difficult can Zoom be?
Oh, an exception! The newest. The 15 month old granddaughter is not really aware of video+voice communication. I’ll ask her when this current calamity is over – I hope that it doesn’t interrupt her A-level studies.

Offline earthlight

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 07:08:06 am »
Zooming for work, but given enough attendees it becomes

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 07:13:33 am »
Bet they aren't all singing in unison...

Offline JoshW

• obsessive maniac
  • WSCC, YSS
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 09:24:15 am »
used Microsoft Lync which eventually became Skype for Business.

and now Skype for business is being gradually replaced with Microsoft Teams.

I've used Zoom and Skype socially, and Skype for business professionally. Would say Zoom would be my favourite, however is limited to 40 minutes unless you pay.

Offline andys

• Outside its dropped to under zero, but I'm warm on here as a
  • forum hero
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 09:27:49 am »
We're using Zoom for both club and family "get-not-togethers".

One thing you can do with Zoom (not sure if any of the others do it)  is to set a virtual background so that whats really behind you in your video is replaced with an image of your choice. This means you can appear to be in a cave!
Plateaus are the highest form of flattery.

Offline MarkS

• Global Moderator
  • forum star
  • BBPC, YCC
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 09:31:36 am »
I seemed to have ended up with Teams for work, Skype for family, and Skype/Zoom for friends.

One thing you can do with Zoom (not sure if any of the others do it)  is to set a virtual background

I think they all do it, but Teams has been the least prone to peoples' limbs etc. randomly disappearing into the background in my experience!

Offline yrammy

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 09:41:29 am »
We used Google Hang Outs for the recent BCA QMC meeting and had 12 people online at once. It worked very well.
Mary

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 11:05:17 am »
I seemed to have ended up with Teams for work, Skype for family, and Skype/Zoom for friends.

One thing you can do with Zoom (not sure if any of the others do it)  is to set a virtual background

I think they all do it, but Teams has been the least prone to peoples' limbs etc. randomly disappearing into the background in my experience!

See https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=26366.0. Feel free to contribute more background ideas  :thumbsup:

The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Jenny P

• junky
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 03:36:35 pm »
Jitsi is good as it is used via a web front-end with no need to install anything on your computer. It would be nice if there were only one option though as I have had to use five different packages so far with either work, caving club or other organisations...

Best thing about it is that it's free!  Maybe doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some of the others have but it does seem to work OK on an assortment of different laptops, tablets and smartphones.  It also avoid the problems of a meeting where people are used to using a particular system at work which may not work so well for others in the meeting.  Some options seem to be tied to different operating systems, Microsoft, Mac, etc. and don't work well on others.

I've found Jitsi a sort of useful common denominator, though I've had to use at least 4 different systems in the last couple of months.

Offline gingerlycolors

• UCET
    • Gregory Collins
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 03:53:55 pm »

I saw Les Williams using virtual backgrounds when we were on Zoom last night. I should try that function next Thursday.

Offline alastairgott

• forum hero
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 05:26:50 pm »
Would say Zoom would be my favourite, however is limited to 40 minutes unless you pay.

Maybe being limited to 40mins as a business is no bad thing, make a few decisions and then just get on with it. You could be on all day otherwise, and make no decisions.

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots is fun
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:40 pm »

A hint for those of you wishing to present a film with sound track or similar and be able to speak over it on Zoom.  If you follow https://it.umn.edu/services-technologies/how-tos/zoom-share-computer-sound-during-screen#sharing-music-or-computer-audio-only you can set your computer up to play sound from both an internal file as well as speak by your microphone.  But beware sound balance might be challenging.

Offline HardenClimber3

• stalker
  • CPC
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 07:50:23 am »
Well, as noted above we (cpc) have been having a weekly chat at a pub called 'The Zoom', (good choice of cheap beer, comfy seats and walking distance from home) and have even had a 'lecture' (more planned) which we've put on YouTube
, which has worked well (and there is an option to live stream also).
Zoom also works well for meetings (and you can record them to help with minutes etc).
Not really tried Teams, but it has its fans.

Offline Swallowneck

• addict
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 08:48:32 am »
Excellent stuff Dave, well done.

Seems we are looking similar things, I will be in touch soon to discuss.

Nick

There must be other people who have the ability to present short lectures on their favorite subjects. What a great thing to do.

Offline Bob Mehew

• forum hero
  • breaking knots is fun
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2020, 12:36:49 pm »
Just in case you are thinking of using music as part of your Zoom or Skype meeting, then beware of copyright laws.  It appears that the playing of music to persons by the direct transmission of sound such as in a dance hall requires one type of licence, see

https://pplprs.co.uk/?utm_source=pplwebsite&utm_medium=pws&utm_campaign=BAU_ppl&utm_content=themusiclicencecopy

where as the playing of music via Zoom or Skype and some other platforms requires a different licence, see

https://www.prsformusic.com/licences/using-music-online/limited-online-music-licence

Offline HardenClimber3

• stalker
  • CPC
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2020, 04:14:22 pm »
Yes...you have to be very careful. Even incidental music from a third party can fall foul of this.

Offline gingerlycolors

• UCET
    • Gregory Collins
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 04:38:27 pm »
Further to my reply regarding choosing your background on Zoom, I tried it on my Thursday night sesh with UCET with success. However you need to put up a green screen behind you and fortunately I had some green bed sheets that did the job great. I am the one centre top appearing to be relaxing in the sun at Lytham St. Annes in my bathing suit even though it was in the middle of the night!

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search