Author Topic: Win lots of shiny kit!  (Read 2559 times)

Online Mark Wright

• junky
  • NCC, BBPC
Re: Win lots of shiny kit!
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 03:15:29 pm »
Although it appears you have to post something on the new thread to make it show up on home page...

Its back on the home page

Offline mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 03:45:29 pm »
Yeah, it was more a message for mods to hopefully remember when they split a topic.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 03:46:27 pm »
Yeah, it was more a message for mods to hopefully remember when they split a topic.
Sorry, first time I've split a topic  :-[
The distance between stupidity and genius is measured only by success.

Offline Ian Ball

• junky
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 04:13:23 pm »
Googlygaz doing good for caver farmer relations and saving a beast is cool so I withdraw my meagre entry.

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
Back on topic, here is my entry with a brief tale of a lot of hauling:

Despite growing up in Somerset and coming from a family with caving connections (my Grandmother's generation were Mendip cavers), I didn't start caving properly until I was at university in Durham. I soon discovered the joy of digging and so when I returned to Mendip and met Andy Sparrow in the pub in Cheddar and he asked what I did on a Wednesday night my fate was sealed.

Andy, with the Cheddar Caving Club had recently connected Bath Swallet to Rod's Pot and had started the project of connecting Rod's on to the next cave in the system, Drunkards Hole. They had initially started digging from Drunkards, but by the time I joined the team, the focus was from the Rod's Pot side.

Wednesday after Wednesday for over three years, we dug and we hauled bag after bag of sloppy mud. As the dig progressed, I acquired some conveyor belt matting from a nearby quarry to help prolong the life of the drag trays and bags, as well as saving considerable effort hauling. I can't calculate the mechanical advantage of this system, but suffice to say, the efficiencies were significant and far outweighed the effort of lugging the stuff in, in the first place.

After a number of trips to said quarry to top up on conveyor belt, I became known as Posh Pete because I used rubber  ;)

If hauling bags along constricted passages wasn't enough, the spoil heap grew too until we were hauling 30 feet (possible exaggeration here, but it was a long way!) to get the bags to the top! Again, no fancy systems to gain a mechanical advantage, a simple 1:1 haul over a pulley above; one caver above and one below. Just try to keep the bags light and try to avoid filling them with too many holes before they get half way up and spill the contents over whoever is unfortunate enough to be at the bottom.  :o

Right when the hauling seemed untenable, a breakthrough provided more stacking space near the end, but after that became full, progress became impossible from the Rod's end. A renewed attempt from the Drunkards side saw more progress and a small extension, with a promising lead. Unfortunately access to the extension is for the thin and fit only, so enthusiasm never really took off at this site...

So if anyone really likes hauling, there's a project there for the taking  :thumbsup:

Offline googleygaz

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 04:45:28 pm »
Googlygaz doing good for caver farmer relations and saving a beast is cool so I withdraw my meagre entry.

The farmer actually put us onto some open rifts on his land further up the valley after assisting him here :)

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 05:18:42 pm »
Sorry, first time I've split a topic  :-[

Which is one more time than me!  ;D good effort  :thumbsup:

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 09:41:43 pm »
Thank you, as ever to all those who entered this competition and to the kind donation of the prize!  :thumbsup: ;D

Thanks even to the cavers who hijacked the thread to post about hauling systems  :spank:- now split and to be found here  :coffee: :smartass:

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=26432.msg323391;topicseen#new 

The shortlist is:

1) Christine - watch out for those bubbles

2) Alex Sheppard - Alex's mostly but not entirely excellent Titan trip

3) Aricooperdavis - Mission Impossible (watch the video, will make you smile  ;D )

4) StarburstCLA - with a ninja like mission

5) Googleygaz - Sheep Rescue

6) PeteHall - Posh Pete and lots of hauling

..and the winner is (thank you Random.org).....

Googleygaz!  Congratulations!!

More competitions coming soon  ;D

Offline googleygaz

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2020, 10:12:06 pm »
Thank you so much that is amazing, Buttered Badgers & Uk caving this is much appreciated and a proper pick me up from the lockdown gloom    :clap2:

Thank you, as ever to all those who entered this competition and to the kind donation of the prize!  :thumbsup: ;D

Thanks even to the cavers who hijacked the thread to post about hauling systems  :spank:- now split and to be found here  :coffee: :smartass:

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=26432.msg323391;topicseen#new 

The shortlist is:

1) Christine - watch out for those bubbles

2) Alex Sheppard - Alex's mostly but not entirely excellent Titan trip

3) Aricooperdavis - Mission Impossible (watch the video, will make you smile  ;D )

4) StarburstCLA - with a ninja like mission

5) Googleygaz - Sheep Rescue

6) PeteHall - Posh Pete and lots of hauling

..and the winner is (thank you Random.org).....

Googleygaz!  Congratulations!!

More competitions coming soon  ;D

Offline PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • junky
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2020, 12:05:17 am »
Well done Googleygaz, a worthy winner!

Not only a good hauling story, but also an excellent PR exercise  :thumbsup:

Sounds like you did well to catch the sheep without it falling off the ledge; a scared sheep can be pretty suicidal I've found  :o

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search