Author Topic: What are your top 3?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Cantclimbtom

What are your top 3?
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:10:28 am »
I'm sure you guys are suffering cabin fever like me and dreaming of getting out doing things. Seen speculation in news in particular Wales about restarting tourism possibly after Easter but if that can happen and if travel into Wales is permitted no idea. That said... I'm not trying to start some Corona-Moaner thread about wrongs of the situation, or speculate when lockdown will end. It's all cost some people bitterly hard,  so I'm respectfully leaving further virus discussion outside this thread.

So.. my current daydreams based on no particular logic are to:

1) Go back to Rhosydd and have a nice walk about explore. Not rushing past on CRTT tick-it-off mentality, but having a nice walk about and try to find new bits, maybe more than a walk ;) who knows?

2) Maybe make a particular through trip. There are access frictions and a concern over heavy metals so I'm not sure if I should do it? Undecided. If I do it, it'll be treading softly (metaphorically and literally) and I'm deliberately not naming it here.

3) Croesor shaft, Model Fferna, or.. Parc (the last one is a big list in itself, not sure if it fits in this list?)

So, what are the top 3 trips to do - whenever - floating about in your heads?
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: What are your top 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:26:24 am »
GG winch meet
GG winch meet
GG winch meet

We've all missed these so badly!

Online mikem

• forum hero
  • Mendip Caving Group
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 09:38:00 am »
Although this is the mining forum!

We've still got more to find in pearl mine & stock hill mine cave on Mendip...

Offline Down and beyond

• player
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:21 am »
I have got caving in speedwell peak cavern with Chris hoping to find a guide for us either way this is in top 3

Catherine and Jane copper mine cannot wait to get in that dirty drainage level !

And number 3 I am not sharing but a possible through trip we are going to try !! Which hopefully will be a first but wait and see  :thumbsup:

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:38:54 am »
I've got a few unfinished projects in the Weardale and Nenthead, since moving back south 10 years ago. One day I'll get back up for the week and have a proper session!

One is an open lead in a thoroughly unpleasant mine that I dug into years ago. The entrance isn't at all obvious, and it's flat out in water and mud for a long way, so I'd be surprised if anyone else has found it, or pushed it in the meantime.

One is down a ventilation shaft that I opened up. At the time,  the air got very stale, so I had to leave a wide open stope descending into the depths. I'd always planned to give it a year to freshen up, but never got back. It needs bolting, but the rock is decent, so should be ok. I've not heard of anyone getting back in since, though I am slightly out of touch these days.

The 3rd is a flooded level in the back of Nent. The passage before it is collapsed, but we found a route through the flats and back to a rather dodgy shaft back down some distancefurtheralong. The water was only a foot above the arching at this point, so should be a short dive back to an air surface.

One day...

Offline skimble

• AditNow refugee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:45:25 am »
Catherine and Jane copper mine cannot wait to get in that dirty drainage level !

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/SuperSize/Catherine-And-Jane-Consols-Deep-Adit-Portal_115683/

Rather you than me. (It's not quite that bad dropping to it from inside the mine.)

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 11:46:45 am »
There are several corners of a particular Derbyshire mine that doesn't get discussed publicly that I'd like to revisit, likewise I want to see the new parts of Intake Dale Mine, now the engine shaft's got a good lid on it. I've also wanted to get some decent scaled photos of the coffin level in Son of Longcliffe for ages, specifically the "step-down" - I'm sure pwhole would be up for that one next summer!
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline Goydenman

• Black Sheep Digger
  • junky
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 11:52:04 am »
1. Get back to Goyden system digs.....starting with linking Pigskin pot into the system; creating new round trip in Goyden and looking what changes the flooding has made
2. Get on with re-surveying the system and supporting the work of diving projects
3. Take a few frie3nds to the Pak/Speedwell system

Offline Cantclimbtom

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 12:44:26 pm »

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/SuperSize/Catherine-And-Jane-Consols-Deep-Adit-Portal_115683/

Rather you than me. (It's not quite that bad dropping to it from inside the mine.)
I must've gone soft, because that pic isn't looking too inviting to me either!

Online ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 01:09:34 pm »
It just needs a little work with a spade on the outside.

I have exited via that route before, and it was only neck deep then.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Online Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 01:15:12 pm »
Places I want to (re) visit include...

Parys / Mona through trip and explore
Coniston through trip and explore
Nent grand traverse and much else there

others would be Great Orme, Hugilth, Snailbeach, Speedwell (Peak), Cae Coch, Millwr Tunnel, Pandora, Parc, Knotlow, Oxlow, Maskhill... Ok all of them really. Focused on mines here but the caving list is huge as well :D

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 02:24:20 pm »
Lots and lots of surveying to do in one site, but sadly can't say where, but Derbyshire. Lots of digging to do in Longcliffe in Castleton, in two directions now, but both need several people in a very small space, so it's difficult at present - well, impossible. Definitely up for a return trip to Son of Longcliffe too, hopefully earlier than summer! I don't know if you ever saw this one, but me and Domee went in there in August 2018 to find the muddy wet crawls as dry as I've ever seen them. We found teeny footprints in the mud! There's also a nice shot of the coffin-level. For those unaware, this was backfilled to the roof, and we excavated about 50-70cm of airspace through the whole length of 14m to the nastiest T-junction I've ever seen. Suffice to say that way on hasn't been pushed yet...

Offline Cantclimbtom

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 06:09:47 pm »
GG winch meet
GG winch meet
GG winch meet

We've all missed these so badly!
"...The next BPC Gaping Gill winch meet is from Saturday 29th May to Friday 4th June 2021..."

Fingers crossed!

Online cavemanmike

• forum star
  • ucet
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 06:13:58 pm »
Places I want to (re) visit include...

Parys / Mona through trip and explore
Coniston through trip and explore

others would be Great Orme, Hugilth, Snailbeach, Speedwell (Peak), Cae Coch, Millwr Tunnel, Pandora, Parc, Knotlow, Oxlow, Maskhill... Ok all of them really. Focused on mines here but the caving list is huge as well :D

Give me a nudge when you are ready for a trip into milwr tunnel and I'll sort it out for you  :thumbsup:

Online ChrisJC

• Funky
  • forum hero
    • http://www.cowdery.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 06:39:16 pm »

CATMHS is organising a Great Nenthead Traverse trip. It has been postponed once because of the pandemic.

Chris.
--
http://www.cowdery.org.uk
Mines, caves,
Land Rovers

Offline 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 06:44:19 pm »
I didn't know Snailbeach had accessible workings, cool  Did some sampling near one of the capped/run in shafts at the top of Crowsnest Dingle last year. (Also have to note the names of landmarks around there are weird... But I appreciated the bog being called "The Bog")

Online JoshW

• forum star
  • YSS, BCA Youth and Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 06:48:11 pm »
got a filming project planned for swildons, other than that I'd take pretty much anything underground at the moment  :down:

Offline skimble

• AditNow refugee
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 07:19:42 pm »
I didn't know Snailbeach had accessible workings, cool

You can get a long way underground at Snailbeach before you hit water. Hopefully the COVID-19 situation will have eased sufficiently by the summer for SCMC to run underground trips at this year's NAMHO conference.

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 08:14:32 pm »

CATMHS is organising a Great Nenthead Traverse trip. It has been postponed once because of the pandemic.

Chris.

Is it still open all the way around? My last visit to Capplecleugh was to reopen a collapse discovered the trip before and there are plenty of other places that aren't held up by much more than a little inertia...

I'm overdue another trip. I've not been the whole way around since the day after we opened Haggs, which is over 10 years ago now...

Online Benfool

• forum star
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:39 pm »
Went through about a year ago and it was fine. Still sketchy though!

B

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 08:59:35 pm »
I didn't know Snailbeach had accessible workings, cool

You can get a long way underground at Snailbeach before you hit water. Hopefully the COVID-19 situation will have eased sufficiently by the summer for SCMC to run underground trips at this year's NAMHO conference.

Huglith is also well worth a visit if you're down that way, I had a cracking trip in there at the 2012 NAMHO conference.

Offline tamarmole

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 09:00:00 pm »
I didn't know Snailbeach had accessible workings, cool  Did some sampling near one of the capped/run in shafts at the top of Crowsnest Dingle last year. (Also have to note the names of landmarks around there are weird... But I appreciated the bog being called "The Bog")

Get yourself up to this year's NAMHO conference if you want to get underground at Snailbeach.

Offline Speleofish

• menacing presence
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 09:18:39 pm »
The key word here is 'daydreams'. So, ignoring the really, really obvious things with enormous potential, the caves I've always dreamt about finding are:
1. Rodney Stoke Rising, Mendip. Surely there must be something reasonable behind it?
2. Ashgill Resurgence, Alston. Huge potential...
3. Rowberrow Swallet (or Swan Inn Swallet), Mendip. Perhaps the last major stream without a significant cave under Mendip (and it's a very long way to Banwell Rising).

Offline ditzy

• The ditzy caving
  • forum hero
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 09:18:48 pm »
1. browns folly
2. great masson
3. cwmorthin

Offline skimble

• AditNow refugee
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 10:03:14 pm »
Huglith is also well worth a visit if you're down that way, I had a cracking trip in there at the 2012 NAMHO conference.

The aquatic exchange trip which didn't quite work out? I wonder whether anyone has achieved it since.

Online royfellows

• forum hero
    • mineexplorer.com
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 02:10:59 pm »
I will be back to mid Wales to check if my two digging projects are worth proceeding with or give up on them.
Also Cwmystwyth to see if any mice have been playing while the cat was away.

Meet DAB at Dinas, after all he is now a director of the ownership company.

Then I really want to try to get to western Cwffty via Parc with a modern camera, and also do my Nenthead 'Fish Trip'.
My avatar is a poor likeness.

Offline Fishes

• menacing presence
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 06:45:18 pm »
I have a couple of secret squirrel projects in mind but I'm actually really looking forward to resurveying Jug Holes to a modern standard.

It would be great if we could find some of the early photographs that were in Doug's collection too.

Offline Down and beyond

• player
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 07:03:13 am »
I will be back to mid Wales to check if my two digging projects are worth proceeding with or give up on them.
Also Cwmystwyth to see if any mice have been playing while the cat was away.

Meet DAB at Dinas, after all he is now a director of the ownership company.

Then I really want to try to get to western Cwffty via Parc with a modern camera, and also do my Nenthead 'Fish Trip'.

You certainly will be meeting me my usual mate and Chris it’s on are list am looking forward to it Roy  :thumbsup: it’s in such a great location lnrc just around the corner & town drain etc etc I love the place  :bounce:

Offline Cantclimbtom

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 09:02:07 am »
Interesting so many of the replies about your top 3, include "secret squirrel" responses. What a devious lot you all are.

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 10:26:59 am »
Interesting so many of the replies about your top 3, include "secret squirrel" responses. What a devious lot you all are.

No, just mindful of the sensitivities around some of the places we've been looking at and all too aware of the likely consequences of them being discussed openly on the internet....

Offline pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 12:33:32 pm »
Indeed - I tend to work on the James Bond principle. As in, if it's in the public domain, it was finished at least a year ago. But of course, he will return, in... ;)

Offline Cantclimbtom

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 12:39:41 pm »
No, just mindful of the sensitivities around some of the places we've been looking at and all too aware of the likely consequences of them being discussed openly on the internet....
I was trying to make my comment a little tongue in cheek. Understood about sensitive sites and discussions ("discretion is the better part of valor"). One of my three wasn't named for exactly that reason.

Offline ttxela2

• addict
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 04:21:34 pm »
Well, my main hope at the moment is that the NAMHO conference can go ahead in a close to normal form. My first trip once things open up will probably be somewhere in the Peak District or possibly a Surrey trip.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal