Author Topic: Win a copy of the excellent Karst, Caves & People!!  (Read 2831 times)

Offline psychocrawler

• stalker
  • Qu'est ce que c'est?
Re: Win a copy of the excellent Karst, Caves & People!!
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2021, 08:56:29 am »
Great photo by Pete Bolt of yours truly in former times to remind me never to go there again.

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2021, 01:09:45 pm »
I've been asked 'How do I add an avatar?'

Go to Profile

then Modify profile

then Forum Profile

then Upload an Avatar

Go on, have a go  ;D

Just sat here thinking that, if I can do this, anyone can.

Which prompts me to mention that Pegasus has always been extremely encouraging and patient with me when I've struggled with technology. I'm very grateful!  :thumbsup:

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2021, 02:33:03 pm »
I've been asked 'How do I add an avatar?'

Go to Profile

then Modify profile

then Forum Profile

then Upload an Avatar

Go on, have a go  ;D

Just sat here thinking that, if I can do this, anyone can.

Which prompts me to mention that Pegasus has always been extremely encouraging and patient with me when I've struggled with technology. I'm very grateful!  :thumbsup:

Ha, you're so welcome  ;D  Believe me, anyone who knows my 'prowess' (not) with technology will know I'm no expert.

I do try hard to keep the competitions interesting, especially during lockdown as anything we can do to help keep folks entertained is to the good surely.

Would love to see some more avatars added/described folks - I'm genuinely interested and there are a fair few I'd love to see included on here.  Ends tomorrow evening, so go on, have a go, cheers, Pegasus  :thumbsup:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2021, 04:01:40 pm »
Blimey - it did work!
's funny - you look nothing like I expected!

Chris.

I don't normally - but I'm sure you'll appreciate as much as anyone the cosmetic effects of cold water on the face for extended periods.

For anyone uncertain what I'm on about (and to explain my avatar), cave divers can look even more ugly than usual after long submersions. The skin of the face absorbs water, leading to swollen cheeks and forehead, together with what is known as "guppy lips". It's not unusual to be unable to articulate words properly with the thick rubbery lips that result, making the affected person look like a right idiot!  :lol: The best and fastest remedy is usually a couple of pints in a nice warm boozer!

Offline ANN

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2021, 05:24:01 pm »
Just happy to have found a photo of me that I actually like.  I hate having my photo taken so don't usually get a smiley one.  Bonus is that it was taken about 10 years ago - forever young  :clap2:

Offline Ian P

• menacing presence
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2021, 10:15:45 pm »
Given in to this “cyber bullying” :o by Pegasus

Picture from exiting the Berger in 2019 on a club trip.
We have “booked” a place for this summer’s “clean up” event.
Not holding out much hope I will be able to update my pic  :thumbsdown:

Online roo.walters.4

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 08:29:15 am »
done.... bit boring but it reflects what i do...

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 09:10:23 am »
Given in to this “cyber bullying” :o by Pegasus

Not holding out much hope I will be able to update my pic  :thumbsdown:

Ha, great thank you for entering. Point of order - I didn't cyber bully Ian directly, just with my posts above  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Alex

• forum hero
  • BRCC, UWFRA.
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 02:23:16 pm »

Weirdly, it went ahead last summer. It would be silly to stop travel in the summer as we all know from last summer the virus did not really spread then and that was without vaccines. So it prob would go ahead, now whether the government lets us leave to go there, well that's an entirely different matter.
Anything I say is represents my own opinion and not that of a any club/organisation that I am a member of (unless its good of course)

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2021, 09:25:36 pm »
Hello All,

Apologies for the delay in drawing a winner.

Sat here this evening trying to decide on a shortlist and just couldn't, so many great entries -  so have entered everyone into Random.org....

You won't believe this but it drew number 3  :o who is disqualified for accusing me of nagging so asked Random.org again and....

The winner is post 50 - Psychocrawler - congratulations!!

Great photo by Pete Bolt of yours truly in former times to remind me never to go there again.

Please PM me to arrange getting your book to you.

Thanks to everyone who took part - especially Pitlamp for beating the technology and uploading an avatar  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

Online JoshW

• forum star
  • YSS, WSCC, BCA Youth & Development, BCA Group Rep
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2021, 09:29:43 pm »
How can the unlucky non-winners get copies of this book?

I'll find out if you enter  ;D ;D

Thanks for entering, Joe - had hoped a few more folks would do the same.

Hopefully this link will shed some light on how you buy a copy of this lovely book:

https://zalozba.zrc-sazu.si/en/strani/ordering-information#v

Ignore this comment, my reading comprehension is awful... If an admin wants to save my blushes I'd appreciate it..
All views are my own and not that of the BCA or any clubs for which I'm a member of.

Offline Russell Myers

• Craven Pothole Club
  • regular
  • Filed but not forgotten.
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2021, 10:59:00 am »
Looks like I missed the party but in the interests of entering into the spirit of the competition for a laugh, my avatar is a pic of me in a filing cabinet at a particularly boozy office party in 1980 and kind of reflected my move back into caving politics after taking on the BCA Secretary's job - old administrators never die, they're just filed away to be retrieved in the future!
What amazes me is the fact I could get into a filing cabinet (must have been the alcoholic lubrication), came in handy caving though. I doubt I could even reach into the back of a filing cabinet these days - technology has come to the rescue - reaching across a keyboard is a doddle.
JFK: Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2021, 10:51:28 am »
Anyone know psychocrawler?? Could you give them a nudge please? Have PM'd but no response  :(

Thank you  :thumbsup:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2021, 03:59:15 pm »
Yep - I'll email him & ask him to make contact.

Offline psychocrawler

• stalker
  • Qu'est ce que c'est?
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2021, 03:37:35 pm »
Many thanks to UKCaving for organising the competition, Roo Walters for donating the book and Pete Bolt for coming up from the ‘sarf’ all those years ago to take the avatar picture in the first place.
Looking forward to reading it - I’ve never won any competition before so I’m somewhat flabbergasted.

Offline psychocrawler

• stalker
  • Qu'est ce que c'est?
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2021, 04:22:15 pm »
The book has arrived and I can highly recommend it. What a prize!

It is a fitting complement to the International Year of Caves and Karst from the home of karst at Postojna in Slovenia in a limited edition of 1000.

It is lavishly illustrated with excellent photos, predominantly from Slovenia and surrounding countries but also from around the world, even including someone prussicking up a rope in Yorkshire.

Nadia Zupan Hajna has done a great job with a highly effective educational offering that supercedes Tony Waltham’s armchair classic ‘Caves’.

Definitely one for the library and something that will inspire the next generation of potholers.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal