Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Dales / Re: Mayday Hole - New SRT trip in the Dales
« Last post by darkandmuddy on Today at 06:13:34 pm »
Excellent, I really enjoyed that write up. And splitting it into segments was a nice way to break it up.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Mining Chat / Re: Smoking Weed Underground
« Last post by Fishes on Today at 06:04:33 pm »
We can all choose if we go caving with people who smoke weed just like we can choose if we go caving with someone who has a drink. If you don't like it then go caving/mine exploring with someone else. I don't mind someone smoking the odd joint or drinking a pint but I don't really want to be underground with somebody who is hammered.

Synthetic cannabinoids such as spice or mamba seem to be a much bigger health/social problem than weed has ever been. This seems to be amplified by them being deliberately adulterated with addictive substances such as fentanyl so that suppliers get customers addicted. If you have seen people on the street that look/act like zombies then there is a good chance that they have been smoking something like this.

« Last post by Flotsam on Today at 06:01:49 pm »
Frank Brown (now sadly deceased) of the DCC was king smoker, an "addict" only in the sense that weed was as essential to his life as oxygen, water and food. He was a very keen caver and was on Ken Pearce's diving expeditition to the Berger in 1963 for example. He always smoked on his trips and even on major foreign expeditions. He picked up a tip from Casteret's book. He took tobacco tin drilled a hole in the end fitted a cork with a needle on the inside, he would then fill the tin with pre-rolled joints which he could extract with the needle without wetting them. When he had a back issue, in hospital in full traction, he managed to roll up and smake in a ward full of people by blowing the smoke into one of the bed tubes. A character.

And that’s how ‘Joint Effort’ at the top of Cliff Cavern in Speedwell got its name. The original climb to the top was done by Frank.

Those were the days. Frank was a top bloke and very sadly missed.

Mark

I swear he could roll up in a rainsoaked hurricane
« Last post by Paul Marvin on Today at 05:55:21 pm »
This something i know little about and would not know one kind of drug from another. The only experience I have had in life was of a friend who took to smoking something who eventually went out of his mind and was committed under the Mental Health Act. When he returned to normal life he was along way from being a normal person.
Not good.

Not at all Roy , the trouble is mild stuff leads to the stronger serious stuff looking for the every increasing high, a bricklayer college of mine went down the route of a few spliffs now and again , he has since died at a early age of 42 after an overdose of heroin . As you say Roy " not good "   :'(
Hey Folks,
I'd really like to get my hands on my own copy of the 5th edition of Mendip underground, if anyone has one they no longer use please contact me. Also the 6th edition is said to be coming out in 2021 so if anyone is not currently an active caver or is going to upgrade to 6th edition, I'd be interested in buying a copy, heavily used or damaged spine/ mud is fine too, just need the content!

If you know anyone selling a copy can you point me in their direction 😊

Drop me a message or one with a phone number or I can give you mine if you like  :bounce:
In a capitalist country, work hard, earn money, spend it on what you like? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?  :shrug:

I'm pretty sure local authorities do have various levers they can pull to reduce the number of 2nd homes/ holiday lets in a region, but preventing quality development because an 'outsider' is more likely to buy it really is scraping the nimby barrel. In fact, it is blatant and open racism. It is also says a lot of their view of Welsh speakers that they think they can't afford a nice house.

If the schools are Welsh language, or at least teach Welsh language, the kids of the 'wealthy incomers' will learn Welsh and likely the parents will pick it up too. I have a Polish mate in South Wales, who speaks better Welsh than most Welsh people, having learnt since moving there. Should he have been blocked from moving by local planning policy???

I thought just that Pete about what they think of Welsh speakers , my view on life now is if your healthy then your wealthy !  :thumbsup:
In a capitalist country, work hard, earn money, spend it on what you like? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?  :shrug:

I'm pretty sure local authorities do have various levers they can pull to reduce the number of 2nd homes/ holiday lets in a region, but preventing quality development because an 'outsider' is more likely to buy it really is scraping the nimby barrel. In fact, it is blatant and open racism. It is also says a lot of their view of Welsh speakers that they think they can't afford a nice house.

If the schools are Welsh language, or at least teach Welsh language, the kids of the 'wealthy incomers' will learn Welsh and likely the parents will pick it up too. I have a Polish mate in South Wales, who speaks better Welsh than most Welsh people, having learnt since moving there. Should he have been blocked from moving by local planning policy???
BCA / Re: Consultation on Section 10.1 of the BCA Constitution
« Last post by mikem on Today at 05:27:25 pm »
Pretty much - the irony of it is that everything the BCA ain't allowed to do, the individual officer can, under their own steam.

On several of the examples the organisation couldn't guarantee they'd still get the funding as it would be more than the minimum requirement for clearance through C&A. They could still do whatever it was if they sourced the funds elsewhere though.
I have quite a lot of sympathy with the Welsh planners. The reality is that most of the likely buyers will be relatively wealthy migrants or properly wealthy second-homers from Cheshire, Liverpool and Manchester (rather like the influx into Abersoch). I accept there may be a financial argument that supports building and selling second homes for high prices. I'm not convinced the local community (or the country at large) will see much benefit.

The village where I used to live in Cornwall is half empty outside school holidays because people from up-country have bought many of the prettier cottages. I went back last week and it was rather depressing. Even though most of the holiday rentals were full, much of the community spirit has gone. There are affordable homes where many of the locals live: generally they're small, ugly and poorly built. There were some fairly nice new houses: guess who's bought them?
Idle Chat / Re: Friday joke - WARNING - contains swearing.
« Last post by tony from suffolk on Today at 05:15:08 pm »
I've been suffering from terrible crushing pains in my groin so I went to the doctor's. He examined me, and said, "I can see your problem - you've got 3-5 years."
I said, "How can you tell?"
He said, "Because it says so on the label in your underpants."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal